Monday 13 April 2020

Really? I mean ... really?

With so many people staying at home there is no shortage of programs on TV advising you on what to do and how to stay and eat healthy.

Even the cooking programs with a plethora of chefs competing with each other on every TV channel have become an annoyance rather than a helpful distraction. I've never liked cooking programs since all my attempts in the kitchen are only appreciated by the dog. Yet there was another idiot chef on TV the other day teaching us how to prepare Lobster Thermidor and Lobster Bisque. Sadly, we had just run out of lobsters but we had plenty of armadillo steaks. Would that do?

Who are the idiot program decision-makers who think we all have lobsters at the ready in our kitchens right now?

Another program has a keep-fit type man advising you to keep nice and trim. He suggested we walk 10,000 steps every day. Indoors! Where he got that number from, I do not know.

Try walking 100 steps, never mind 10,000, with the floor covered in Lego bricks? Who invented those instruments of torture best consigned to the Spanish Inquisition? Have you stepped on one lately? I have!

The health instructor also suggested we go up and down, up and down, the same step in our house as a form of exercise. He suggested we do this 100 times. I tried it and it took me ages to go up to the bathroom. An accident occured.

Another clever suggestion is that we sit on a chair, or sofa, and get up, and sit, and get up, and do so over and again several times. I don't see the point of that when we have the TV remote control to change the channels for you automatically.

Don't you hate it when she vacuum cleans when there is sports on TV?

Why does her voice not go lower when you point the TV remote at her? All I get is the silent treatment and no hot meal.

Another suggestion from the TV people is that we should be kind and care for each other more. I can't understand why.

A couple we know ... they are not neighbours exactly. They live a few houses down the road in the next street plus one from our street. Anyway, we see them walking past our house every now and then with their children going to the park. They wave and we wave back and exchange greetings. They haven't been past our house lately. Probably at home like us.

Until yesterday.

The door-bell rang. I looked out of the window. They were standing on the side-walk away from our house.

They waved. I waved back. They pointed at our house. I waved back. They pointed at our front door. I waved and gave them the thumbs up sign.

I opened the door and there was a large wicker basket on our door-step.

"We've left you a present!" they said.

"How kind," I replied with a smile, "you shouldn't have!" (I meant the latter part, because now I'll probably have to get them a present of equal or higher value. Why do people have to be an annoyance and give me presents I have not asked for? I hope it is something edible. If it is not edible it is not worth having - that's my motto in life).

"We thought we'd cheer you up!" they said as they left.

I took the wicker basket in and took the cover off. It contained two kittens.

What sort of idiot moronic lunatic bird-brained people are these? What possessed them to think that two kittens would cheer us up? Now we have two more mouths to feed. And we're totally out of cat food as well as lobsters.

They might as well have gifted us their pet rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, tortoises and whatever else their menagerie of animals consists of. How about some lobsters?

I mean ... if this is what it is like to be nice and kind to each other I'd rather go back to the bad old days when everyone was un-caring and looked after Number One first.

On a serious note though ... here is a new tradition that has started in the UK.

Every Thursday, at 8:00pm, people open their windows, (some stand in their front garden), and applaud the good works done by those in the front line - doctors, nurses, ambulance staff, police, fire service, shop staff, food delivery staff, teachers who stay at school to look after the children of the afore mentioned front-liners, etc ...) People applaud or bang pots and pans together or make similar noise for about ten minutes or so in honour and recognition of all those people who continue to work, at their own risk, to keep society and the country going.

The tradition is being encouraged by social media and TV. On TV they showed people in various parts of the country, in towns and cities, out of their windows clapping and cheering.

Near us, last week, someone let off fireworks. It was too bright to see them properly in the sky but you could hear their explosions from a distance. From my back garden I could hear someone playing the bagpipes. It was loud enough to hear but I could not tell where it came from. It lasted about ten minutes. People seem to be doing their own thing to applaud front-liners each Thursday.

I am proud of what the front-liners are doing at their own personal risks for the rest of us. We should say an extra prayer for them and their families.

We will all remember these historic times in years to come.

God bless.

18 comments:

  1. Great menagerie of thoughts Victor. sort of like the pets our neighbor had. I can't stand cats so they might have been a bit surprised when they got back from the park and the cats were on their front porch or waved to them and pointed to their front porch. Musical cats like musical chairs. But the ending was super. Thanks for drawing attention to the front-liners. We have several in the church I pastor and I know they are weary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. I hope and pray you and yours are keeping well.

      The tradition of applauding and supporting front-liners has been going for a couple of weeks here in the UK.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this new "tradition" both here and on my recent blog post, Victor. That's wonderful! As for the kitties? Not the kind of gift I'd like left at my door, though I do love cats. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to show appreciation for all those who put their lives at risk for the rest of us.

      God bless you always, Martha.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post! It was funny, touching and silly!
    In other words...it was you!
    Thank you for being who you are Victor.

    God's Blessings Always My Friend 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Silly? Surely not. I am always serious, Jan.

      Glad I made you smile though. God bless always.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful new tradition. They sure are the heroes of today being front-liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a serious job that they do for us, Bill. So grateful they have the courage and bravery.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. 'Have to admit, come the conclusion of Paragraph #6, I laughed out-loud! I try not to pay attention to the plethora of televised cooking shows. Lobster aside, half of the ingredients would require an excursion to the grocers - something I'm trying to keep to a minimum.

    The UK's tradition reminds me of high school pep rallies. Like Bill said, I think that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought with a captive audience the TV people would have a great opportunity to put on good shows; and get good revenue from advertisers. But instead, here in the UK, the TV has been terrible. You get more entertainment cleaning the dust off the screen.

      The new Thursday tradition helps bring the nation together at a difficult time.

      God bless you and yours, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. Those heroes at the front, may God bless them,
    Hmmm, kittens or choc. chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the front-liners are real heroes.

      Chocolate cookies every time, Susan. God bless.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great idea. So many people out there helping to keep us going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes Belle ... One is called "Go" and the other "Away"!

      Nice to see you visiting here again, Belle. Thanx. Please call often and invite your friends.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  9. Kittens, that's too much, although you can't fuss over the frontline workers too much at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mimi. Two kittens too many for me.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.