Monday 14 September 2020

Examination of Conscience

 

Once upon a time there was a man whose son was possessed by an evil spirit. The son often got into fits and was thrown into the fire or into water. The man had heard of Jesus, but was not quite sure what to do. He approached Him and said, "If you can do anything, please help us!"

Jesus looked at him and said, "If you can? Everything is possible to he who believes!"

The man realised what he had said to Jesus, so he confessed, "I believe, help my unbelief".

Jesus had pity on him and healed his son. (Mark 9: 23-27).

Let's examine this story closely, especially how it applies to us. 

What the man said here, or perhaps meant to say, is: I believe, as best as I can. I believe. But I have doubts. I'm confused. Help me in my doubts.

If we're honest, perhaps we're all like that sometimes. When we pray to God, or Jesus, and ask for a favour; do we not sometimes doubt? Or when we ask Him for some help; are we not impatient?

Or when something has gone wrong in our lives, or that of a loved one; and we ask Jesus to help, are we sure He will help us?

When we pray; do we really trust Him? Do we know that He has listened to our prayer and that He will respond, in His way, in His time?

Or do we go back to worrying about our problem? Wondering whether it will be OK? Whether God will resolve it? 

Do we go back and pester Him again and again wondering whether He heard us, and whether we are on top of His priority list?

You know how irritating it is when you phone an organisation and their machine says, "Your call is important to us. Please hold. You are number 6 in the queue of calls to be answered. An operator will be with you soon".

Is it the same with God? Is He too busy with someone else's problems to deal with ours?

Let's look at this another way. 

Imagine someone came to you and asked for a big favour. Something that would greatly help them. And you promised you'll take care of it.

How would you feel if that person kept contacted you to check you'll do as you promised? Phoning you every day, or sending you a text or e-mail? 

You'd think this person does not trust you enough to keep your promise.

But Jesus said, “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me." (John 14:1).

(OTHER VERSIONS: "Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me." "Don't be worried! Have faith in God and have faith in me.")

So do we trust Him enough to take care of us, and our loved ones, in the most difficult of circumstances in our lives?

In my life I've had many dark moments. Many I would not discuss or talk about here. And when they happened, more often than not, I was so preoccupied with the difficulty or problem I was in that I even forgot to pray. I forgot to ask for God's help. Can you imagine that? I was so busy, or afraid, about what was happening that I even forgot to ask for help.  

At least that man in Mark's Gospel (above) had the sense to ask for help; despite his confusion and doubts. But I didn't.

Yet, looking back, God was there all the time. And dealt with the situation without me even asking Him to. Isn't He great? He knew I was up to my neck in it and He dealt with it. I only realised afterwards; sometimes a long time afterwards, that He had helped me. And I had even forgotten to thank Him.

I bet if you look back on your life you'll find instances where God helped you without you knowing it.

He does so even now. Every day He saves us from many situations we don't even know we are in, or we are facing.

So next time you need help, even if you are hesitant, doubtful, or worried; just be honest and tell Him about it. Be patient. Trust Him. He's got it under control.

19 comments:

  1. ..."your call is important" is the way life is too often these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. I agree.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all of this ... the examples, your candor, your advice. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, (not often), I speak straight, Mevely. Thank you for your kind comment.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  4. So true, wise words and great examples!
    Thanks, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With many thanx, Bill. Much appreciated.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. This spoke to my heart today, Victor. Thank you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. In difficult times, like now, we can all be forgiven when our faith falters. Mine tends to stumble and fall flat on its face!

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    I'm afraid that God is the only reliable one to ask for help in a more and more fake world where the meaning of certain words has become so diluted and even changed. So many living souls have turned away from God... It would be time for them to realize who still IS in control and always will.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. "He does so even now. Every day He saves us from many situations we don't even know we are in, or we are facing."

    Yes.

    He is good and His mercy endures forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He listens. Sometimes he wants us to continue to pray, and sometimes He wants us to mention it one time in faith and leave it at that. The Holy Spirit will lead us to know which to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too need to listen more to the Holy Spirit.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.