Tuesday 14 December 2021

Love Letters

 

I don't know if you ever sent love letters. And whether, if you did, did you keep copies of the letters you sent to your sweetheart? Did you have access to a photocopier or printer, or did you use carbon paper which people used years ago to make copies of letters and documents?

Anyway, years ago I kept carbon paper copies of the hand-written letters I sent to my various girl-friends. I'd forgotten about them, but I found them in an old shoebox the other day when I was looking for a box big enough to bury our hamster in. As it happens, he was not dead. By the time I put him in the box he opened his eyes and twitched. Apparently he was a little lethargic because he saw an episode of Downton Abbey on TV. Anyway, he was now better and saved from a premature burial.

Back to the letters. They were a bit faded but you could still read some of the words faintly. Here are a few of them.

This letter was written to Helena to tell her that I wanted to break up our relationship.

Dear Helena,

This is the most difficult letter I have had to write. So let me make it easy and let you work out what I want to say.

Bye.

Vic M

This letter is to Erica. For some unknown reason she broke up with me.

Dear Erica,

I cannot understand why you have stopped contacting me and do not answer my phone calls. I have said a million times that I am sorry to have dropped the anvil on your foot. I was practicing at being the strongest man and could hold it no longer when you tickled me.

I am heartbroken at our breakup; although I would guess you are toe-broken as a result. 

I hope your toe gets better soon. Does it hurt?

Vic M

She never answered that letter and I did not see her again. She emigrated to Australia soon afterwards.

This letter was written to Marjorie. 

Dearest Marjorie,

I am so saddened and in despair at the lack of seeing you and being with you. I write once more whilst on my bended knees to ask for your forgiveness. 

I am so so sorry that whilst massaging your dog my wristwatch got caught in his hair and he jolted and bit your nose. How was I to know he'd be so frisky. And to be fair, you were holding him rather close to your face at the time. So in my estimation, the blame should be shared equally between us for the unfortunate accident which led to you going to hospital to have some stitches in your nose. I hope it heals up soon and your nose would be as beautiful and as kissable as ever it was. Do not believe the doctor about the scars that will be there as a result. What do doctors know anyway?

I am sorry too about the various injections you had in your bottom at the hospital to prevent any possible infections. Life is full of surprises. We never know when we'll be showing our backside to complete strangers.

How was I to know you would get an adverse reaction to the injection? You can hardly hold me responsible for that.

Oh ... and about the door ... I did not know you were standing behind the door when I opened it. So fortunate we were at the hospital at the time and you got treated in the Emergency Room. Hope your eye is better soon.

Despite the pain we have shared together, and my broken wristwatch strap, I sincerely hope we can get back together again.

How is Fifi your dog?

Love and kisses,

Vic M

She did not reply to the letter although we had several correspondences from her lawyers. 

I also had a girl-friend called Michelle. She was French. This is what I wrote.

Mon petit choux Michelle.

You are so beautiful Michelle ma belle. These are words that go together well. I love you I love you I love you.  

Michelle ma belle. Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble. Tres bien ensemble.

I would like to serenade you like Maurice Chevalier, like Charles Aznavour, like Sacha Distel ... like Edith Piaf. These words by The Beatles were written for you, ma belle.

I am so very sorry that when we were in lovely Paris together I accidentally tripped you up and you fell in the river. I am also sorry that I did not jump in to help you out because the water was too cold.

You must have thought I was insane at the time; although strictly speaking it was you who was in Seine at the time.

I'm also sorry at this puny joke I made as Claude jumped in and got you out of the water.

How is Claude these days? I hope you two are happy together. I shall always miss you.

Adieu.

Victor.

Claude was a passer-by who jumped in the river and got Michelle out. They are now married and have three children.

31 comments:

  1. ...do people write letters these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo your found my sons letters, just as I thought they would be.....
    BUT YEP I did write love letters, She kept them. Funny how I didn't know how to spell very well.
    Enjoyed the visit. Hope all is well there and you destroyed the letters!
    Sherry & jack smiling but cool here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I will destroy these letters now. I wonder what became of all those people. Do you think they miss me?

      Best wishes Jack and Sherry. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Ha! My favorite was the first closing -- 'Bye!". 'Feeling mighty blessed I never felt the urge to write a love letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it with flowers
      And chocolates too
      Say it with jewellery
      Or a good meal for two
      Say it from the heart
      Say what you think
      But never be careless
      And say it with ink

      God bless, Mevely

      Delete
  4. You must be a lost lover, so sad! Hope you can do better online. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did send my profile and photo to an on-line dating agency. They returned it with the words: We're not that desperate!

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. What a love life, Victor, or should I say lack thereof! I so enjoyed the laugh today.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so unlucky with my girl-friends, Martha. It was their fault really.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you R. I hope I made you smile.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. I never saved any of my "Love letters". Now I am glad about that, lot of memories I don't need to relive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, JoeH. Some memories are best forgotten I guess. Things we said or did ...

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    WOW, you must have hit Erica really hard that she vanished Down Under...😉
    Haha, insane and in Seine!
    Good humor!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Mariette. All my girl-friends avoided me for some reason or other. I can't understand why!!!

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  9. After all that, i wonder both why you would keep those letters, and what was your romance like with your wife. It must have gone much better than these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met my wife in the library. She wrote me a note to say keep quiet!

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  10. I believe you could have used some good tutoring in the art of romance, however; the ladies you chose could have been more understanding too. Good story! Fun to read. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't understand me ... perhaps because I speak Klingon.

      Glad to see you here again, Nells. God bless you.

      Delete
  11. You've had quite a streak of bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly true, Kathy. And my girl-friends blamed me.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  12. I am surprised you ever married, or found a woman to marry you. Good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If at first you don't succeed ... ... ... my new motto is to give up.

      God bless, Susan.

      Delete
  13. That's quite a love letter list! :)
    Ken wrote me several love letters when we first met and I still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Happyone. That is very romantic and it says a lot about you two.

      God bless you both always.

      Delete
  14. Is it better to be insane or in denial? Go Forth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends in which country you're at at the time. I'd rather be first than fourth.

      It's great to see you visiting here, David. Thanx.

      God bless.

      Delete
  15. I have never sent nor received love letters and why on earth keep copies of letters you wrote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I had an empty shoebox which needed filling. Also, evidence ... evidence.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.