Wednesday 1 December 2021

In the middle of the night

 

In our back garden we have security lights that come on whenever they detect any movement. They are very useful for me to determine when I am out in the garden. The lights sense my presence and come on. I see the trees, and bushes and flowers and know I am in the garden. A fact that could not be determined if we did not have security lights.

I once found myself in a dark broom cupboard. We have now fitted security lights there too in case I enter said enclosure by mistake.

I know what you're thinking: "How big is the broom cupboard?" 

Not very big really. One person size. One person wide, high and deep. If you enter the cupboard you stop because you cannot go any further. You have to take the broom and vacuum cleaner out. Also, now you hit your head on the very bright security lights.

Anyway, we have security lights in the garden and the other night they came on suddenly. I looked out the kitchen window and could see no one there. Rather foolishly, I put my slippers on and went out to investigate. I should have put on some sturdy shoes instead.

There by the apple tree were two squirrels. They looked at me and did not move. They dared me to react. I stood motionless not wishing to antagonise them in case they rushed towards me and climbed up my legs in search of some nuts or something. I'd read they can be quite vicious when angered.

There was a tennis ball on the ground left there from a previous game. One of the squirrels rushed towards it and hit it so hard it bounced in the air. The other squirrel jumped up and hit it hard in mid-flight. Before I knew it they were playing tennis.

Not with tennis rackets, you disbelieving lot; with their paws. They were jumping in the air chasing the ball. A sort of tennis and soccer football if you like. 

They probably thought it was a giant nut of some sort. Possibly a coconut; I don't know.

I shooed them away by making a noise. They rushed into the bushes. I slowly moved forwards to collect the tennis ball and they came out again. This time accompanied by a fox. We've never had a visiting fox in our garden. Whatever next? 

A whole menagerie of creatures dancing in the moonlight?

I rushed into the house as the security lights went out leaving a full moon in charge of proceedings.


27 comments:

  1. ...when did your fear of the dark start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the security lights went out!

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. What a FUN rendition of 'Dancing in the Moonlight' ... love this! Now I'm thinking your squirrels must be related to ours. So far they've not tripped our security lights, but they're becoming less and less afraid of our pups -- less inclined to leave the bird feeder for safer pastures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great song and video, is it not?

      Over here too squirrels are getting more daring. In order to stop them eating from the bird feeders, I have stretched a thin metal wire high up between two trees. Then I hung the bird feeders on the wire. I am waiting to see if the squirrels learn to walk the tight-rope like crossing Niagara fall. So far they seem to have gone.

      Pigeons are clever too. They now fly at the hanging bird feeder and knock some seeds to the ground. Then they get on the ground and eat.

      Happily, still no flying dragons around here.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. Funny seeing all those skeletons dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly enjoyed the story and the video. It is amazing the technology available today. There are some pretty danged smart technicians. LOL
    WATCH them squirrels, they cannot be trusted.

    You probably wouldn't like it, but mama sure fixed some good squirrel gravy when she fried our squirrels.....
    Sherry & jack over here smiling after a sweet read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wondered whether squirrels are edible. I guess they taste like chicken. Everything tastes like chicken; even chicken.

      I know from experience it takes a lot of time, and skills, to do a video like this one. Mine are not that good. I don't have the patience.

      God bless you Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. The squirrels and friends were celebrating your success with the security lights being so dependable. Nothing more delightful than dancing in the moonlight. This story was a delightful read as well. Thank you, Victor. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right, Nells. They were testing whether the security lights work all right. I'm so pleased you liked this story.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this song, Victor - brings back memories. And Racer thanks you for including squirrels in your story. Tennis anyone?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have squirrels dancing in the moonlight. Great song for Racer to dance to.

      God bless you and yours, Martha.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    Oh, squirrels never seize to entertain us; they're active and very smart rascals.
    We have lights that turn on by dark, not by motion but it sure looks great for seeing into the yard and gazebo.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, squirrels can do very entertaining acrobatics jumping and running up the trees.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  8. I did enjoy the video, quite fun seeing the skeletons dancing.

    My good wishes for the month of December.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you and your family Jan, in this Advent leading to Christmas.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. There is actually a squirrel hunting season around here and people do eat them. NOT ME!
    Enjoyed the story and video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that people hunt them for food. Do they taste like chicken or rabbit? Rabbit tastes like chicken - so I wonder!

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
    2. We ate rabbit reasonably often when a child, I don't remember it tasting anything like chicken.

      Delete
    3. Did it taste like rabbit?

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  10. Our security light is also a camera. We live in a suburban area, lots of buildings we only a few small wooded areas. Surprising what wildlife occasionally stops by at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's happening more and more over here too. Creatures seem to be moving in suburban areas, like foxes, and badgers. We had a vixen with her young some years back.

      God bless, JoeH.

      Delete
  11. Maybe you need to film the squirrels playing tennis, you might become famous for posting the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they'd come back. I would video them.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  12. I LOVE that video, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.