Wednesday 23 October 2024

Status Quo Ad Infinitum Cave Canem

 

Amazing how we put up with things and let them continue rather than taking action to remedy the situation. Like the tiny spider we allow to escape up the wall and let him create cobwebs everywhere which we shall have to clean afterwards. Or the squeaky door hinge that we tolerate rather than apply a tiny spot of oil to smooth over our lives. Or worse still, the use of bad grammar when speaking or writing.

I went up to the bedroom and threw out the bed; it was high time it became my room I reasoned in a fit of pique. It is MY room not the bed's room! The same applied to the bathroom and dining room. Why have we allowed our language to let furniture appropriate room space in what is in effect my house, my rooms and my space?

"With this I shall put up no longer!" I cried out of the window ensuring that I do not end a phrase with a preposition.

"To what are you referring, kind Sir?" asked a passer-by in proper grammatical English.

"To whatever the particular situation happens to apply at the time in question," I said emphatically.

At this point a flying crow off-loaded the rejects of its digestive system upon my head. 

"Get in and stop acting the fool," said my wife from the kitchen. 

I shut the window and went to the bathroom to clean myself, but alas it was there no more. It was an empty room devoid of the furnishing accoutrements which make up a bathroom. It was just a vacant empty shell where once it was a central functioning facility.

Tired and exhausted I went to the bedroom and lay on the floor.

11 comments:

  1. ...we ever developed the English language wasn't a well educated fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the language developed over time. Even today, in certain parts of the UK some words have different meanings - like "you ken" in Scotland means "you know" or in Cockney slang "Adam and Eve" - meaning "believe" - Would you Adam and Eve it? (Would you believe it?).

      I may write more about this soon. God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Ending a phrase with a preposition, oh my! I confess to have been called a "Grammar Nazi" on more than one occasion. Your second paragraph is so funny. Now I'll find it difficult to ever refer to my sleeping quarters as my bed's room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they first referred to rooms according to their furniture. Like bed-room. Surely it should be sleeping-room (or whatever else people do in that room!)

      By the same token the kitchen should be cooking-room, the garage should be the parking-room, and the place where one meets one's doctor should be the insulting room.

      My doctor is always rude to me. The other day he said "You're fat!" I said I wanted a second opinion. He replied, "You're ugly too!" (The old ones are the best - they don't write them like that any more).

      Keep smiling and God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. You always have something to share, thanks for explaing the different rooms. I had a bedroom that had no bed so we called it the floor room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had an empty guest room too. I put a trampoline in it and my wife hit the roof. No sense of humour some people!

      It's good to laugh, Bill. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Proper grammar is a must when we are writing, that's for sure, but in speaking? If you've lived in the South as long as I have, you actually take a liking to the slang and the drawls you hear. Me thinks your redo of the rooms was NOT a good idea, however - LOL! Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to re-name every room in the house to its proper purpose and I was sent out to the dog-house. If Shakespeare was here today we'd be as bored as ever; and he would not understand what we are saying. As for Geoffrey Chaucer, I had to learn his writings in the original text for my exams:

      A Knyght ther was, and that a worthy man,
      That fro the tyme that he first bigan
      To riden out, he loved chivalrie,
      Trouthe and honóur, fredom and curteisie.

      There was an honourable knight, that from the time he was knighted he practiced chivalry, courtesy, truth, honour and freedom.

      God bless you, Martha.


      Delete
  5. You made me smile, even chuckle, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm chuckling too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.