It was late in the evening when I entered my hotel room. It
had been a long day at work with one meeting following another, and then I had
to attend a Conference where they discussed ways to extrapolate sales and costs
figures against profits in order to estimate how many paper clips we’ll need
five years from now. It was so exhilarating that I could not sleep at all
throughout the Conference.
Anyway, I got to my hotel room late and got myself in by using one of those electronic cards you put in a slot and the door opens. I did not bother to switch all lights on. A small light shone from a nearby table-lamp and this was enough. I intended to fall into bed and dream of better days.
As I took my jacket off a man got out of the en-suite bathroom in his pajamas. Why he had an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas I do not know. Maybe he was rich and could afford an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas; whilst the rest of us have to be content with an elastic band or a cord to keep our pajama pants up.
I don’t know what nationality he was, but as soon as he saw me the man said: “Qui êtes-vous? Que faites-vous ici?”
I know exactly what he said because I remember writing it down at the time. I then took out a dictionary to translate but could not understand a word. It was an Italian dictionary.
The man shouted at me and beckoned me to get out of my room. At which point an enormously rotund woman got up from my bed and she too started shouting at me “Allez-vous en! Allez-vous en!” and waving her hands in the air.
I wrote that down too but could not find a translation in my Italian dictionary.
I picked up my jacket and as I turned to get out I accidentally knocked a large wicker basket which was on the table beside me. The top of the basket opened and a flock of pigeons came flying out into the room. They flew everywhere, trying to land on something high up. Luckily the bedroom door was shut and they eventually settled on the wardrobe, hanged from the chandelier, (it was a posh hotel), and one settled on the man’s head.
There was cooing and flapping of wings everywhere. A few feathers floated in the air before settling to the ground. The pigeons did what most animals do when frightened and started leaving deposits everywhere. Including on the man’s head.
I was totally stunned by what had just happened and stood perfectly still. The rotund woman picked up the phone on the bedside table and started shouting in broken English “pee john pee john …”
Moments later a hotel porter entered the room and disturbed all the pigeons which started flying all over again and dropping deposits all over the place.
We waited until they had settled down and then he asked me “Why do you have pigeons in your room, Sir? Pets are not allowed in this hotel!”
I was astounded that he asked me about the pigeons and had totally ignored the fact that I also had a rotund woman in my bed and a man with an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas.
He asked for my electronic card which he tested on the door. It worked. He then took the man’s electronic card. It worked too.
You guessed it. It was a double booking and we’d both been given the same cards.
I picked up my luggage and was moved to another room.
By now you may be asking why there were pigeons in a wicker basket in my room.
Simple.
I was told the man was a magician and he used the pigeons in his act by making them appear and disappear out of a hat. Apparently his wife, whilst younger and less rotund, was a stripper and she too used the pigeons in her act. For an encore the pigeons used to take their feathers off!
This was an excerpt from my memoirs "AS I QUOTE MYSELF". A book full of misadventures and mishaps to make you laugh out loud, or at least to smile.
Anyway, I got to my hotel room late and got myself in by using one of those electronic cards you put in a slot and the door opens. I did not bother to switch all lights on. A small light shone from a nearby table-lamp and this was enough. I intended to fall into bed and dream of better days.
As I took my jacket off a man got out of the en-suite bathroom in his pajamas. Why he had an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas I do not know. Maybe he was rich and could afford an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas; whilst the rest of us have to be content with an elastic band or a cord to keep our pajama pants up.
I don’t know what nationality he was, but as soon as he saw me the man said: “Qui êtes-vous? Que faites-vous ici?”
I know exactly what he said because I remember writing it down at the time. I then took out a dictionary to translate but could not understand a word. It was an Italian dictionary.
The man shouted at me and beckoned me to get out of my room. At which point an enormously rotund woman got up from my bed and she too started shouting at me “Allez-vous en! Allez-vous en!” and waving her hands in the air.
I wrote that down too but could not find a translation in my Italian dictionary.
I picked up my jacket and as I turned to get out I accidentally knocked a large wicker basket which was on the table beside me. The top of the basket opened and a flock of pigeons came flying out into the room. They flew everywhere, trying to land on something high up. Luckily the bedroom door was shut and they eventually settled on the wardrobe, hanged from the chandelier, (it was a posh hotel), and one settled on the man’s head.
There was cooing and flapping of wings everywhere. A few feathers floated in the air before settling to the ground. The pigeons did what most animals do when frightened and started leaving deposits everywhere. Including on the man’s head.
I was totally stunned by what had just happened and stood perfectly still. The rotund woman picked up the phone on the bedside table and started shouting in broken English “pee john pee john …”
Moments later a hotel porter entered the room and disturbed all the pigeons which started flying all over again and dropping deposits all over the place.
We waited until they had settled down and then he asked me “Why do you have pigeons in your room, Sir? Pets are not allowed in this hotel!”
I was astounded that he asked me about the pigeons and had totally ignored the fact that I also had a rotund woman in my bed and a man with an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas.
He asked for my electronic card which he tested on the door. It worked. He then took the man’s electronic card. It worked too.
You guessed it. It was a double booking and we’d both been given the same cards.
I picked up my luggage and was moved to another room.
By now you may be asking why there were pigeons in a wicker basket in my room.
Simple.
I was told the man was a magician and he used the pigeons in his act by making them appear and disappear out of a hat. Apparently his wife, whilst younger and less rotund, was a stripper and she too used the pigeons in her act. For an encore the pigeons used to take their feathers off!
NOTE
This was an excerpt from my memoirs "AS I QUOTE MYSELF". A book full of misadventures and mishaps to make you laugh out loud, or at least to smile.


LOL! I can imagine this scene in one of those old Chevy Chase movies. Peace!
ReplyDeleteIndeed, it is quite a scene to visualise - like my life I suppose.
DeleteThank you for your visit here Reverend. God bless you.
Giggled then .... and now I'm giggling all over again this evening!
ReplyDeletePS - Unfortunately, double bookings aren't that rare. The resort where I last worked had the same thing happen. Minus the pigeons!
Hi Mevely,
DeleteDid you know that former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson was once hit with a $1,000 hotel bill after his pet pigeons messed up a luxury room?
That's life! God bless you.
Enjoyed the laugh. Thanks. Extrapolate? I do remember that process, I think. Yeah good story my friend. TAke care. Thanks... Life has been good to me, it is nice knowing you, I do appreciate the internet for that...
ReplyDeleteIt's good to hear you're keeping well Jack; I am so glad that we met on the Internet. Praying for you and yours.
DeleteGod bless you all.
LOL! Victor, you are the champion of humor, my friend. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you enjoyed this little story, Martha. God bless you.
Delete🤭😅
ReplyDeleteLaughter is good for us, Barbara.
DeleteGod bless.
That was quite funny.
ReplyDeleteIt was ... but not at the time it happened.
DeleteGod bless, Mary.
thecontemplativecat ...Next time turn on the light, and shout, Honey I'm home...? It sounds like a English stage play where doors slam and stuff. Fun times! thanks for the giggles today.
ReplyDeleteWhat? Shout "Honey I'm home!" to the woman in my bed? What if the man with an en-suite bathroom in his pajamas gets violent and we both fall in the bath?
DeleteGod bless, Susan.
What a scene .... I tried to picture it all in my mind....lol....
ReplyDeleteA good scene for a movie perhaps?
DeleteGod bless always, Shug.
Oh, what a mix up. Im glad they had an extra room available for you.
ReplyDeleteWhy are conference talks always so boring?
Yes the Conference was totally boring and stopped me from falling asleep in my chair., Mimi.
DeleteGod bless you.
Wow, that was a chaotic scene, very crazy indeed! Thanks for the laughs, Victor!
ReplyDeleteYes, chaotic it was.
DeleteGod bless, Bill.