Tuesday 5 October 2021

Getting Old

 

Getting old takes courage. It isn't for everyone. Only brave people get old. Getting old is not for wimps who whine and whimper at anything that goes wrong in life. 

Like crying over a paper cut ... "boohooo ... I have cut my finger on the edge of the paper!" 

Grow up you wimp or you'll never get old.

Getting old has many advantages too.

For a start, you can afford not to care about certain things. Always in the news they have stories about rising temperatures, ice caps melting, things happening around the world, political differences and so on ... and you wonder ... is worrying about all this going to make me any younger? 

The chances are that many things predicted will not happen anyway. 

I remember reading years ago that we will have robots everywhere and they will be able to do all our house chores like cleaning, washing, cooking and taking out the trash and so on. 

Did not happen. All I have now is the TV remote control and when I point it at the wife she does not stop talking or lower her voice. So much for technology.

Another advantage of growing old is that you can dress as you want. 

Men can wear their trousers pulled up all the way to their nipples and have them held up by braces and a wide belt pulled tightly round the chest. Together with a white chequered shirt and brown woollen pullover, both tucked in inside the trousers, and covered by a tweed jacket, and you're good to go as the modern old age style. You'll be a sex symbol for women who don't care.

Women too can wear what they want at a certain age. I will not go into details in case someone I know reads this article and ... well, I'd better not go on any further.

Old people tend to be very smart you know. One trick is to pretend not to understand modern technology and new inventions. By pretending ignorance, more often than not, someone will fix the thing for you.

An old friend I know, in order to prove that he is "with it" he buys new gadgets even though he does not know how to use them. Like cell-phones for instance. Every time his cell-phone rings he presses the wrong button and takes a photo of his ear. 

He bought a new sound-activated bedside lamp. Whenever he wakes up in the night all he has to do is tap his hands once or twice and the light comes on. He told me the other day that when he breaks wind whilst asleep the lights come on as if to reprimand him.

Women, as they grow older, can of course be elegant and demure and full of wisdom. 

I visit an elderly lady every now and then to see if she is OK. It was raining heavily on my last visit. I asked her if she wanted anything from the supermarket. As it happened, there were quite a few items that she needed that day. So I gave her my list so that she can shop for the both of us. No point me going out and getting wet as well, is there?

She said the other day that nostalgia isn't as it used to be. Back in the day nostalgia was thinking about the good older days when she was young and life was great. Today nostalgia is remembering the last model of cell-phone or tablet you had.

Getting old also allows you the opportunity to act a little disgracefully and get away with it ... if you act smart that is.

For example when you're on the bus and have eaten an orange or banana or a chocolate bar and you don't know where to put the peelings/skin/wrapper; just casually drop it in the woman's bag sitting next to you. Chances are you'll never get caught. But if you do, just tell her you thought it was your own bag.

And another thing ... getting old allows you to be a little adventurous. You can send the dog's urine instead of yours to the hospital for testing. That should confuse the doctors!

Getting old is the time to laugh at life and all it throws at you. Have fun, do what you want ... within limits. And have that extra scoop of ice cream or glass of your favourite drink if you want to. 

So there you have it. As you grow older take back control. Don't let society pigeon hole you into their categories just to satisfy their statistics and calculations.

Wear your underpants on your head as a sign of protest. That should certainly get you noticed. It certainly works for me. I've been followed everywhere for the past week by two men in white coats and big butterfly nets.

29 comments:

  1. ...getting old beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Tom. That's why we should enjoy it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Getting old isn't for sissies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true. It takes many years of experience to get old.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I've begun to realize it takes courage to grow old. At least with some semblance of dignity. Have to admit, I was little annoyed when the visiting nurse began by administering Tom a cognitive test. Must remember to commit these to memory so I don't 'flunk' when it comes my turn.

    In the words of a new favorite meme, "We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would be unnerving to have to answer those cognitive tests. Were there too many questions?

      Yes, we never really grow old, do we?

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
    2. Only 3, actually. He was given the names of 3 things -- then asked to repeat them 5 minutes later ..... had to draw a clock face showing 11:10 ... and I've already forgotten the third. Whoops!

      Delete
    3. I think these would be difficult for some people. Remembering three things after 5 minutes. Unless one of the things is chocolate; I'd remember that.

      God bless you and Tom.

      Delete
  4. Okay, imma try the dog urine thing, and I will not intentionally tell them it was your idea! Smile. I remember a story of my BIL. He had his son to the Dr. He handed the kid a little bottle and told him to go into the bathroom and 'make water' in it. The doctor got upset and BIL told him, "If you had told the kid to pee in it he would have, he has never heard that term."
    Thanks for the story of the priest you referred me to. YES it is amazing we are too much like the biblical characters who ignored the one in need. Good 'real' story with meaning. Thanks. But to this post, I have never suffered much pain, I am beginning to now and it ain't no fun. LOL But I definitely accept it, since it is the best of two choices. LOL
    Love to you over there, Be safe...
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once could not attend hospital for a blood test. So I gave my card to a friend to attend instead of me. When they tested the blood the doctor told me I was pregnant!

      Can you imagine my surprise, Jack, to find my elderly priest lying there on the ground in London and no one stopped to care for him?

      I like your story about the little boy making water. Praying for you good health my friend.

      God bless you and Sherry and family.

      Delete
  5. I agree that there are more freedoms for us when we get older, Victor, because we've learned about what truly matters in life. As I age, though, I pray God would keep me in good health. That's the most difficult thing about age - all the ailments that could be waiting right around to corner. So, I'll have that extra scoop of ice cream and another glass of wine. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to praise and thank the Lord daily for our health, and may he keep us well.

      Ice cream can make us so cheerful, especially with apple pie.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Good point, Bill. I'll drink to that.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    As long as we're grateful for each added day to our life, all is well. None of us will live forever and it doesn't matter how you look on the outside; the inside is what counts.
    Not caring about certain things is not age related, but more to the person's own will.
    For my entire life I've never let anyone put me in a certain 'square' of behavior/dress code/or food to like and so on.
    THAT is the problem with today's world, far too many people just want to 'belong' or to be 'popular'.
    Life is too short for such stupid games and before one knows, you will be right in front of your Creator!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife said it does matter how I look on the outside; that's why she wants me to stay inside at home. She said I frighten the neighbours the way I look.

      The secret is to remain as happy as can be, Mariette. Let us not worry about what other people think about us.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Funny stuff! Most true but still funny.

    I tried that dog urine trick...getting dewormed is not pleasant!

    I love stories where a mugger gets his ass kicked by an old person. Be careful young punks, some of us know stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one about the deworming, JoeH. Thanx.

      Years ago I was mugged in London. A young man held a plastic knife at me and said "Your money or your life!" It took me a few minutes to decide what to do. I thought he said "Your money or your wife!"

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Yes, getting older does have its advantages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny but true. I enjoyed this story, Victor. My favorite old age trick is to say any goofy thing that enters my head and blame it on senility. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can get away with a lot when we pretend we are old.

      God bless you, Nells.

      Delete
  11. In the book of Second Hesitations it says that "Growing old is not for sissies, because if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, growing old is not for the faint hearted.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to getting old, but in the meantime I already dress as I please and do as I please. I have never cared what people think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatever our age we should embrace each and every day ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.