Sunday 10 October 2021

What's the point of it all?

 


Something that has no point is pointless - like a pencil!

I was wondering  about priests, vicars, ministers or other religious preachers? Do they always see tangible results in their work? Does what they say, and do, really change lives, and keep them changed until the day these souls meet their Maker?

I suspect that when such a priest gets to meet God face to face, he may well be asked: "And how many of the people I put in your direction have made it to Heaven?" I wonder what they would answer then?

How many people do priests really lead to Heaven?

This is a great responsibility for priests and such like religious people. Are they really changing lives by their own example? Or are they just self-bemused shepherds just herding wild cats in all directions? What evidence is there that their works have led one more person towards Heaven?

How about you and me?

We write our Christian Blogs week in week out; but do we see any tangible results from what we write? Is anyone really taking any notice of our pearls of wisdom? Or are we writing just to satisfy our own egos, and to say to God, "There you are. I've done my bit writing about Christianity, now let me into Heaven!"

What is the point of writing a Christian Blog?

Few amongst us, don't check our Blog statistics to see who has read us. There's a bit of pride and self-satisfaction in all of us.

What about those comments we get on our Blogs? Are they just pleasant platitudes from like-minded Christians? Or do they actually influence anyone anywhere reading them? 
 
Where is the tangible evidence that one individual has been somehow touched by what we write to make him search more and discover, for the first time perhaps, the love of God?

Are we preaching to the already converted?

If all we are doing is writing Christian posts for other Christians who either don't bother to comment or just say something nice to be polite; then what's so clever about that? What good have we done?

Time for Reflections.

OK ... let's all stop now and take a deep breath. I hope that what I have said above has not discouraged anyone from continuing with their Christian Blogs.

Remember the parable of the sower where Jesus teaches that some seeds ended on the footpath, and others on rocky ground, and others among thorns and only a few on good ground?

In this parable the seeds are the Word of God spread amongst many who would not listen.

The sower is God teaching us. Or Jesus preaching throughout the Holy Land. Or the prophets and Disciples. The sower is of course all of these. But he is us too. Yes ... you and me. Writing our own Blogs.

We have a duty and a responsibility to evangelise and spread the Word of God to everyone. Not just to Christians.

If the Word of God was meant for just Christians we would dig a long furrow and make sure that the seeds are planted one by one carefully in the furrow and none are wasted. But Jesus does not say that. He spread the seeds far and wide and if people do not want to listen that is their problem. Not yours.

And that's where social media and our Blogs come in. They are the open fields where we spread our seeds in the hope that someone somewhere might listen to the Word of God.

That's why it is important to check our statistics and see which posts got more hits, and what subjects attract attention from readers old and new.

Encourage one another.

That's why it is also important to comment on other peoples' Blogs, especially if we are already Christians and agree with what is being said, (or disagree even). Our comments serve as encouragement for people to keep on posting, and even if we disagree with something, they serve as a discussion and a learning opportunity from one another.

The worst thing is to visit a Christian Blog and say nothing.

The early Christians, after Christ's Resurrection, may have disagreed with each other perhaps, but at least they discussed their opinions and encouraged each other to go on with the task of building the Church of Christ.

And so should we when we visit other Christian blogs. We should comment not only on other peoples' blogs but also respond when others comment on our Blogs. And if possible, also visit those who commented on our Blogs and return the courtesy.

Today, we are no different to those early Christians. Social media is the wilderness longing for the Good News; and our Blogs are the fields where we plant the seeds which will grow and bear fruit.

Let your Blog be the one Jesus would want to read.

31 comments:

  1. ...I hope that Jesus would enjoy the beauty of nature on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure He does. Your photography is inspiring, Tom.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Victor, I hope and pray that Jesus would want to read my blog! What you said here is so true - we plant seeds with our words, but God must do the rest. And comments are so encouraging for us to keep plugging away at what we are called to do. May our outreach to others not be in vain.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully what we write on our Blogs reaches the right people, Martha; and that they come to know the Lord.

      God bless you always, and thank you for your support.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    Excellent writing and very thought provoking!
    Yes, daring to write your opinion and also in the comments, that is what we're supposed to do.
    Not using nice, polished and polite words without any meaning...
    Our final Judge will see through all of it and reward us only for the way we lived out our words.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariette. Our Blogs should be like beacons lighting a dark Internet.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  4. A very thoughtful devotion for me today. I actually came to your blog expecting to talk to a priest, I was pleased to learn Priesthood is only one of your personalities, ;-). No I have not been disappointed, not at all. I have learned much, thankfully I have not 'changed my mind', but my thoughts have been reinforced. 'tis good to be reminded we are on the same side. God is good.
    Sherry & jack on your side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Jack ... I am not a priest, a vicar, minister or anything like that. Just an ordinary man with a little sense of humour and much faith.

      The Father Ignatius priestly stories I write are based on various priests I have known.

      I am so glad we met on the Internet; and I have learnt so much from your Blog - mostly courage, perseverance, good character and a good example. Thanx Jack.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
    2. Well, I learned something new today that you are really not a priest! I thought you were. What a sense of humor you have Victor. I've wondered those same things. Oh, how I pray that Jesus would desire to read my blogposts, and that others glean something from my life experiences - whether saved already or not. If not, may they come to realize what a wonderful, loving Father/Creator we have. My life is so hectic these days, I don't get to read blogs as much as I used to. One being yours. But, I made time today and am so glad I did. Thank you for an uplifting, thought-provoking post, Victor. God bless you.

      Delete
    3. It's so nice to see you visiting my Blog today, Diane. Thank you so much. We never know who might visit our Blogs and not leave a message; that's why we should continue posting if we can.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. While my blog isn't Christian-themed, I do try and shy away from judgment, prejudice, and ill-will -- although the temptation, particularly re. politics, is great. Tho' my convictions are great, I have to allow, when getting to Heaven I may be greatly surprised.

    I've said so before, but you've taught me so much by example and by doing so, strengthened my own faith tremendously. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and generous words, Mevely. Your Blog certainly gives a strong impression of being written by a Christian. One can read kindness, generosity, hope and joy in every post. Thank you for all the good work you put in your postings.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. All we can do is our best and hope that God approves and likes what we do. All of us have different strengths that we were given and it would be a pity to waste them. In that case, God would not approve and would be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Bill. Different talents used in the glory of God; to praise Him and spread His word.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  7. I hope I don't disappoint anyone, especially God, because I am not very attentive to my blog. I try to share the good news with others on many occasions. This post makes me want to write more on my blog. Thanks for the encouragement. Blessing to you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ... you do not disappoint God, Nells. He knows how busy we all are, and we serve Him in different ways using our skills and talents. I, for one, am very grateful for your visits here.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  8. You never know who will hear you. I got saved because of what someone said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. You said it better than I ever could.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  9. All we can do is keep keeping on sharing the gospel with those we come in contact with however that may be. The rest is up to them and God. I believe some day when we are heaven it will be made known to us who we helped get there. What a happy day that will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Happyone. A Happy Day indeed. Meanwhile, we continue to share the Gospels.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Our job is to do what He tells us, and trust the results to Him. It's all we can do, and i agree, scatter the seed of the Word, it will not return to Him void.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Mimi. We spread the Word and others will hear it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. "Something that has no point is pointless, like a circle" a bit like my blog, pointless but hopefully still useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Blogs are useful as long as they reflect goodness.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  12. I am quite taken with your reminder that "...Christians...may have disagreed with each other...but at least they discussed their opinions." I have, in various times, seen my own country lapse from government by discussion into government by tantrum. It's not confined to religion or government. It's a posture toward existence, a striving for tolerance and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you visiting here again, Geo. Thanx.

      I fear that as a society we are becoming less tolerant of other peoples' views and opinions. This world will never know peace until it learns to forgive.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  13. You're not a priest?! well, well.
    I love your final line. Let your blog be the one Jesus would want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thoughts - like 'write what Jesus would like to read.' Not knowing our Lord's literary preferences - - - but that's not what you meant, I figure.

    I routinely look at 'view' statistics - yes, partly in hopes of boosting my morale - but also to keep track of what gets viewed and what doesn't. What can I say? I spent a significant fraction of my life in marketing.

    Our number-three daughter, 'the writer,' opined that Christians/Catholics doing 'normal people' stuff are evangelizing - or can be, depending on what subset of that stuff we do.

    I think she's right. Which is why I'm writing about trilobite eyes this week. And that's another topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that Jesus likes to read my humour, otherwise I am in real trouble.

    It's important to check the stats every now and then. I find many people visit my Blog for the humour; hopefully this then leads them to read the Christian articles too.

    Your daughter is right. We evangelise by the way we live.

    God bless you and your family, Brian. Your Blog posts are well-researched and so educative. Often, I am at a loss at how or what to comment. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.