Wednesday 20 October 2021

Suffering in silence or in joy.

 

... and then someone said sotto voce, "if God cared so much He would not let her suffer ..."

Being a Christian and a God-loving person does not mean we will have a joyful life with nothing ever going wrong. There will be times of great difficulty, as happens to most people, whether they believe in God or not. Being Christian does not make us immune to pain. Physical pain, mental pain, spiritual pain, the pain of loneliness and rejection, the pain of poverty, of prejudice or hatred which so abounds in this world.

I guess a number of readers right here are suffering some pain or other. Perhaps it's an illness, or the heart-breaking pain of a relationship that's gone bad, or the agony concerning a loved one that has gone astray, either physically by the way they live, or spiritually by turning away from God.

It is natural for such people to ask God, "why did you let this happen to me?" It is natural to have dark thoughts, perhaps rebelling against the very God we have grown to love and trust. This is the work of the evil one. He knows what you are going through and he uses this opportunity to derail you and your very faith away from God.

He tried it on Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. 

Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want.” Mark 14:32-42

That was the devil tempting Jesus. He tried to tempt Him and derail Him from His mission many times. So you should not be much of a challenge to him.

Many people in the Bible suffered in one way or another whilst carrying on God's work. They were beaten, had stones thrown at them, arrested, imprisoned, killed, yet they kept going.  

"Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

We do not know whether Paul suffered a physical illness, or whether it was a spiritual attack by the devil to keep him from preaching God's Word.

But what we do know, because he says so, is that God's grace was with him at all times of suffering.

And it's the same with us when we suffer. I do not believe we should suffer with joy and be glad when we're in pain. God does not enjoy and revel when we suffer. He knows that suffering of all sorts will come our way, and He is there to comfort us and relieve our suffering according to His will for us.

“Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and He will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, He will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out”. (1 Corinthians Chapter 10 Verse 13).


















26 comments:

  1. Suffering is for me something of physical or psychological nature, which I'm trying to avoid if I only can. I don't ask question "why me?" (because, why not?) or "why did God let it happen?" (as I don't believe in gods) and it makes the life simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying for you healing Monika. I do know that God loves you and cares for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. If you need this, I don't have problem with this. Take care of yourself the best you can.

      Delete
  2. ...some people seem to be tested more than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God never promised us that we wouldn't go through trials and suffering, but He did promise to be with us. That's enough for me, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will never understand why we go through trials and suffering. Not yet, anyway.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  4. How is it, you often seem to know what it is I need to hear. Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever our world is dark; Christ will light our way. Praying for you and yours.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. Whatever the pain is that we suffer or experience, we have to remember we are not alone. God is right beside us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are never alone, as you say Bill. God is only a prayer away.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    We never will be the first believers that endure certain things, so many have gone before us in Faith. That same Faith will keep us upright and going as we know what awaits us in the very end of this 'short' earthly stay.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are not the first, or the last, to encounter suffering and pain.

      God bless yo and yours, Mariette.

      Delete
  7. I am so happy to know God is with me no matter what I go through. God doesn't promise easy time of it just to be with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can rest assured that God goes with us wherever we go because He told us so. Thank you, Victor, for a powerful and uplifting post. When things go wrong count your blessings, and when things go right count your blessings. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well put, Nells. Count your blessings whatever happens in life. God is near at hand.

      God bless always. And thank you.

      Delete
  9. Since becoming a Christian some 30+ years ago, I have had many trials, but I made it through with God's help and regardless whether or not I deserved to be helped because during some of these crisis's, I wasn't at my God-loving best. When you know God, He knows you. And I rest easy, knowing that He knows and wants the very best for me. There will be more trials in my future no doubt - I will continue to TRUST in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful commentary, Debby. Thank you so much.

      We will all go through some trials and difficult times in life. Yet, we should rest assured that God wants the best for us; and we should trust Him more.

      God bless you and yours, Debby.

      Delete
  10. We made this a fallen world, so suffering is inevitable. How did He respond? He put on skin and came and lived through it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The road to sanctification is filled with pain and suffering. God allows it to teach us. Jesus also suffered while here on the earth. Thankful He loves me enough to allow me to grow through the process.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God allows it. He does not cause it to happen. Often people blame Him when things go wrong; without perhaps thinking as to how things go wrong and who really caused them.

      God bless, Lulu.

      Delete
  12. I do sometimes wonder why particularly harsh suffering of some people is allowed to go on for so long. I do wish God could step in a little sooner especially for the elderly poor and ill persons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, River. I have known people who have suffered many illnesses for a long time; and I wondered the same. We'll not know the answer - not right now.

      But one thing I noticed; these people never gave up their faith. They remained strong throughout it all. They were an example to the rest of us weak in faith despite our appearance.

      God bless you, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.