Tuesday 12 October 2021

Hypocrites

I wonder ... how many of us are hypocrites? Are you a hypocrite? Am I a hypocrite, do you think?

A hypocrite is a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs.

Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22:37-38

We say we love God, but how do we love Him? What are the tangible, physical, noticeable acts that prove we love Him?

In Olden Times, at the time of the prophets and at the times of Jesus, the faithful showed that they loved God by offering animals as burnt sacrifices. These could be doves, or pigeons or a lamb or goat or an ox. They had to be perfect animals, not those blemished, or lame or sick and diseased. Animals that people would not want for themselves.

Of course, God does not really need or wants such sacrifices. He will not in any way be found wanting or diminished if we do not offer Him any sacrifices. But people did it as a sign of love and respect.

How do we love God today?

When two people get married they vow and promise to love each other. But, if we're honest, over time such love wains a little. That is why many people renew their vows. 

How often do we do that with God? How often do we tell Him we love Him and how do we show such love?

We may not offer burnt sacrifices, but how often, and how much do we give to the Church, or the poor, or to charity? How much is enough? Say, your weekly spend on food is $200 - is $20 a week to charity a lot or too little? Our offerings need not be financial, how often and how much do we offer our time, or knowledge, or expertise to help those less fortunate than us?

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ Matthew 25:40

We say we trust God. How much do we trust Him, and how do we show it? Do we trust Him as a child trusts his parents?

"What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?" Luke 11:11-12

When we pray, do we really trust God to respond with what is best for us, in His own time? Or do we tell Him precisely what He should do? You'd be surprised how many people want to serve God in an advisory capacity.

When we praise God, do we do so because we really believe that He is in control of every situation? Or do we just pay lip-service with our praise?

It can be so easy to jump up and down praising God when all is well, and fade away into depression and disbelief when things go wrong in our lives.

To re-state the question: how many amongst us are hypocrites?

Am I addressing this to anyone in particular, or is it just to myself?

29 comments:

  1. Our world seems so dark these days. I have felt recently like God has let us down. Really, what a strange thing. But this morning I woke up renewed. He is still here. Yes, still calling the shots. Still with us, with me. How many want to serve God in an advisory capacity? Hm...well, that hit home. 😀 Thanks, Victor. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. Yes, we all sometimes feel as if God has let us down; especially with so many things going wrong in the world. We should persevere and pray and pray some more. He is still, and always, in control.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. ...we are all hypocrites is our own special ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course i am a hypocrite, i haven't been fully perfected yet, and won't on this side of Heaven. That's why i still need His love, grace, forgiveness, mercy, etc. every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so ... yet we should all try harder in order to become a good example for others to follow.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  4. I was writing a talk yesterday and it occurred to me that I regularly fail to practise what I preach. In fact I was so convinced of my flaws that I wondered if I should stop writing, give it up, say, 'I'm no good.' It is lovely to read what messymimi wrote and be reminded of that. In fact I feel a blog post coming on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all fail at times to meet the standards we set ourselves, Liz. That is why, a regular examination of conscience would help us improve and be a good example for others.

      I look forwards to your Blog post on this.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. None of us are perfect and will never be. I'm sure I do things that frustrate God but I do believe he is in charge. I accept him as I try and be a good follower but even then I mess up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often hear God say to me, "not you again ... why don't you give me some peace?"

      As you say, none of us are perfect.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Great talking points, Victor. I, too, was struck by Mimi's comment. What to say, but "Amen!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let this be an opportunity for all of us to improve a little.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. Many good and true comments above. I have noticed much of this entry was addressed to me!!! LOL Very good entry my friend, and yes at times I am. BUT to say the positive, the gem I dug out of this today was this when you said:
    You'd be surprised how many people want to serve God in an advisory capacity.......
    Now my brother this is deep and so true.... THANKS!
    Love from over here... I would like to be there!
    Sherry & jack intending to do Good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack for your kind comments once again. Oh ... it would be lovely if you were over here. We could meet for a drink in London. It is raining right now so bring an umbrella with you.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  8. I think we can all be guilty of hypocrisy,Victor, but thank goodness for God's forgiveness! May we worship Him in spirit and in truth in all we think, say or do. With His help, we can.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God sees the real us and the image we portray ... and He forgives.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  9. At times we probably all are, but then we are all sinners and need God to forgive us and what a great comfort it is to know that he does!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Victor,
    In Government nowadays, we see so many examples of hypocrisy that it is hard enough for not falling into the very same trap. Far from being perfect and not even aiming to be, but we all need a strong hand, in guiding us away from hypocrisy.
    May be all team up in prayer for letting the good in this world prevail over the evil forces that lurk all around us.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to pray more for world peace and justice.

      God bless you and yours always, Mariette.

      Delete
  11. Guilty, but only to a misdemeanor. Mostly. OK maybe a little more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point ... at what level is hypocrisy true hypocrisy? Is there a measurement anywhere?

      God bless you, JoeH my friend.

      Delete
  12. God knows that we have human frailties. That is our reason or excuse for many things. We do mess up sometimes, but God is there, if we reach out to him, to forgive us and put us on the right tract. We judge our mistakes from a human perspective, but God looks at our heart. We are always a work in progress. Thank you so much for putting these feelings out there. Good food for thought. God bless you, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nells. Despite our many failings, God forgives us as long as we are genuine in our repentance.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  13. I am guilty of a little hypocrisy. I've been heard to say "when I get up to Heaven I'll be having words with the big man. How could he let this happen?" but of course too many terrible happenings aren't God's fault at all. He gave man free will and man has abused that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are good at using our free will and then blame it on God when it all goes wrong.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  14. Victor, your question, "We say we love God, but how do we love Him? What are the tangible, physical, noticeable acts that prove we love Him?" is the major point to me in this post. It hit me in the face as I read it. I think the way I CHOOSE to live my life on a daily basis - striving to be more Christlike in all areas - is an expression of my love and gratitude for all Jesus has done for me. To live a life of love, respect, kindness, gentleness, mercy, as Jesus did, takes a concentrated DAILY effort because sin so easily ensnares us (Heb. 12:1-3). I thank God that He knows my heart! For on any given day, my actions don't necessarily express my hearts (hypocrite). Great thought-provoking post, Victor. Thank you for this devotion this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, we love God by the way we live our lives. Many people confuse this and just pay lip service to loving God.

      Thank you fro your kind comments Diane. God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.