Saturday 11 December 2021

Vincent

 

This is the famous painting "The Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh. In February 1972 Don McLain released a beautiful song about Van Gogh entitled Vincent. I used to play it often on my program on the radio.

You know how it is; you hear a song time and again and its words never quite register in your mind. Then suddenly, one day, you hear the same song for the millionth time and you suddenly realise that there's something in the lyrics that never struck you so clearly before. 

This happened to me the other day when I was playing "Vincent" on my CD player whilst painting the garden fence. 

The song starts: Starry, starry night ... Paint your palate blue and gray ...

I stopped painting the fence; green as it happens, and I thought: WHY?

Why would he want to paint his palate blue and gray? It must be difficult to do that. He'd have to keep his mouth wide open and look at the mirror whilst shoving a paint brush in his mouth.

No wonder people thought Van Gogh was not a well man.

Then I thought again: Why do we have a palate? Is it to stop our brain from falling into our mouth?

Strange ... very strange ...


25 comments:

  1. ...this song is wonderful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom. A wonderful tribute to the artist.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I, too, have always enjoyed this song.
    "The words never quite register in your mind ..."? Yes. I know (the song) Hallelujah is insanely popular, but I've yet to 'register' its lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Leonard Cohen one. I don't understand the lyrics either.

      I always wondered why Vincent was painting his palate and why Neil Diamond was talking to a chair when he sang I am I said. Great song though.

      God bless, Mevely

      Delete
  3. "Why do we have a palate? Is it to stop our brain from falling into our mouth?"

    This is the only reason I can think of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are Sandi. You are as bright as I am.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. I've always loved this song, Victor. However, now that you've pointed out the palate, I don't think I'll ever hear it the same way again - lol!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my mind, Martha. I always try to find a new meaning to what I read and hear. Keep smiling.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Great tune, I always liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damağın tek işlevi o olmasa gerek.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I never understood/heard the words until now. His paintings will never jump out at me, BUT I think I do understand his feelings..... ODD that!
    Sherry & jack on a cloudy but NICE and warm day even this far north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of his paintings; but the song is nice.

      So lucky you're in the warmth, Jack. It's freezing here.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, even though it might SOUND the same, van Gogh's painter's palette is written with double t. Versus the roof of our mouth is written palate...😉
    Hope that did shed some light on it!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful song and I also had to listen to it many times before the lyrics "clicked" as with so many other songs over the years. I like his paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was talented; even if misunderstood.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  10. It's a beautiful song, and you always see the funny side that is hidden and show it to us, and i appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to laugh and be cheerful, Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.