Saturday 3 August 2024

Rite it properly

 

Like most couples, I guess we too have the odd contretemps. Whilst other people may have disagreements, arguments or even outright rows; we prefer our discussions to be just contretemps. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi to our minor loss of focus.

Furthermore, in order to easily resolve our differences of opinions, and to save going over old ground and repeat previously covered and debated subjects, I have suggested that all such contretemps should be recorded in writing, dated and conclusions and agreements recorded for future reference. My wife reluctantly agreed to my brilliant plan.

Now, whenever a difference of opinion occurs, I refer first to previously written records to check the subject has not already been covered and resolved, and then, if not, we start a new discussion in writing. 

I put forwards my thoughts; and so does she.

It irritates me no end when she misspells certain words, and has all the wrong punctuations. She does not know when to use the question mark (?) and the exclamation mark (!) and when to use the semi-colon (;) and how to use brackets (((  )))    

How can one make sense of what she is supposed to be upset about if it is all misspelled and the punctuation is all wrong? I've explained it many times to no avail. It gets to the point that the discussion centres on grammar and punctuation rather than on the subject we're supposed to be disagreeing about.

I think she's doing it deliberately to deflect the argument from the real thing and she always wins by default.

18 comments:

  1. What an interesting concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...actually we have new quartz countertops, I recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our contretemps are verbal; and not cast in stone ... paper always.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. The misuse of apostrophes drives my wife crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put all the apostrophes on the margins and when I've finished writing I then insert them in the text.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. I majored in English, Victor, so don't get me started - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you also have "discussions" in writing, Martha?

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Are you certain you aren't a barrister .... or an editor at Simon Schuster? In most matters I do my writing in Gregg Shorthand, so as not to tip my hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In business, I had to be legally precise when writing reports. So, if we have a discussion at home about a certain practice, like leaving the cupboard door open thus resulting in me hitting my foot against said door, I have to put this precisely in writing so that it is understood why the practice should not be repeated.

      She spoils it all by responding with the wrong punctuations thus obfuscating the whole message.

      I'm sure she does it on purpose.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. It sounds as if your wife is one smart lady!
    —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Victor, of course your wife wins, we women always do. That is how you men learn. :-) I hope I have put the 'rite' bracket in my smiley face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women are always in charge of every situation. God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. Put a full stop to it. Period. Anyway all swell that end's swell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; it always ends well with a full stop and comma.,

      God bless, David.

      Delete
  9. Maybe she's just smarter than you think!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.