Thursday 8 August 2024

Streets of London,

 

FATHER FRANCIS MAPLE
WEBSITE HERE
 
Yesterday I played a song on this Blog about a scenario no doubt repeated many times over in the world. Today, I give you the London version sung by Father Francis Maple
 
 
Have you seen the old man
In the closed-down market
Kicking up the papers,
with his worn out shoes?
In his eyes you see no pride
And held loosely at his side
Yesterday's papers telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,
And say for you that the sun don't shine?
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old girl
Who walks the streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?
She's no time for talking,
She just keeps right on walking
Carrying her world in two carrier bags.

Chorus

In the all night cafe
At a quarter past eleven,
Same old man is sitting there on his own
Looking at the world
Over the rim of his tea-cup,
Each tea last an hour
And he wanders home alone

Chorus

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care

Chorus
 
This post is dedicated to people I know who work at the Food-Bank and do a lot of good work feeding the poor at night in London and elsewhere.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Victor, this is a nice song, and I love what the people do at the food bank. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely song about a sad situation in these difficult times. God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. This so touched my heart, Victor. Thank you, my friend, and God bless you and all who serve others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a number of people who not only work in "food-banks" distributing free food to those in need. But also buying food and preparing soup and sandwiches and going out in the streets in the evenings feeding the homeless.

      Life's getting quite difficult for many over here.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  3. Thank you!
    —- Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor: Thank-you for the link, the song is lovely, Michael and myself volunteer every Friday at the food shelf here in Annandale, Mn. except when we are on a vacation.
    Gods beautiful Blessings on you.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Catherine, for volunteering at your food shelf every week. May God bless you both for your kindness.

      Delete
  6. So many overlooked, forgotten souls. I pray your and Fr. Francis' words touch hearts -- on both sides of the Pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely. As I said to Martha, (above), I know people who go out feeding the homeless. I sometimes go with her shopping for bread and soup and such and she spends all day making sandwiches and in the evening, at all weathers, they go out to distribute it to the homeless. This scenario is repeated many times daily in the UK.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. ...streets in a fabulous city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Tom. I liked living and working there.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.