Tuesday 30 November 2021

Musical Rescue

 

Many years ago, when I was young, I was out climbing the mountain ranges somewhere in Europe. Can't remember where exactly. I used to travel a lot in them days. It could have been in the Alps which stretch across many countries, or it could have been in the Pair 'O Knees.  

Anyway, all I can remember is that I was high up in the mountains, all alone, which is a stupid thing to do when you go up mountains, and it was getting dark and it started snowing .. again.

I was getting colder and colder and I hurried here and there to find some shelter. The blinding snow was making it difficult to see far ahead, and I felt my body freezing from head to toe and all the way up again. A cold frisson of foreboding ran up and down my spine. 

I like that last sentence, "A cold frisson of foreboding ran up and down my spine." I may yet become a literary genius after all. Notice how I said "frisson" instead of shiver. Maybe I was in France after all, or some other French speaking country.

As I was saying, it was getting dark, and cold and very dangerous. I had to find shelter soon. Fortunately, about a hundred yards ahead, up a perilous incline, I saw a hut. Maybe it's some shepherds' shelter, or some small hostel or other. I hope they let me in without a tie!

I struggled up those last few feet and I was at the door of this broken down and abandoned shack. I opened the door against the weight of the snow and got in. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness therein I realised that it was empty save for an Alpine horn left there by its previous occupant. 

A very long conical shaped tube with a large opening at one end like those ancient wind-up record players that had a big horn to amplify the sound. This horn was in two pieces which, when put together, made the whole instrument so big that it would not fit inside the small hut.

An idea came to mind. You know how it is, when desperate you try anything.

I opened the door and slid out the large end of the instrument, then inside the hut I attached the second part. Basically, most of the instrument was outside the hut.

Now, I have never played the Alpine horn before or ever since. I play the harmonica a bit, but I did not have one at the time. Besides, I don't think that playing "Home on the Range" on the harmonica would have carried the sound very far.

I'd seen people playing the Alpine horn on TV. It's one long monotonous sound that carries very far. I believe it was used as a communications system. How difficult would it be to play it?

I blew hard at the mouthpiece end and my ears popped. No sound came out. I tried different lip movements whilst blowing and eventually got a sound ... of sorts.

I persevered in the hope of blowing a Morse S.O.S. message. Do you realise how difficult it is to blow dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot down an Alpine horn?

First you need to fill your lungs with a lot of air to sustain you throughout this long message which should be delivered loud enough down this long pipe to be heard more that three feet away.

Secondly, I have found out to my great chagrin and sartorial cost, that as you blow hard a certain amount of air escapes from another orifice in one's body.

I had to stop and reconsider. I certainly did not want to contribute more to global warming by adding to the malevolent noxious gases already produced by our bovine friends.  

I decided on a strategy of long and slow monotonous sounds. That should attract the attention of any passing mountain goat or ferocious creature.

After about an hour or so of blowing at both ends, I heard a sound outside.

"HELLOOOO !!!" they shouted, "We are the Red Cross!"

 I shouted back, "I GAVE AT THE OFFICE !!!!"

Typical of these people, going out collecting money at a time like this instead of rescuing people stuck in a snowy mountain.

Anyway, they got me home safely even though I had lied about contributing at the office.

23 comments:

  1. We did hear an Alpine horn once, but it was at Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. Enjoyed the story though. For some reason I thought you were smarter than that, getting lost that is. I reckon age has taught you something. ;-) But frisson.... WHAT?
    From a cool morning
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, age has taught me never to play the Alpine horn. So glad you enjoyed the story, Jack and Sherry.

      Very cold here today. God bless always.

      Delete
  2. If you were blowing the Alpine and it could be heard only 3 feet away, how far were the Red Cross away from you? That's your question to answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, and with a lot of practice, I did manage to get a louder noise which travelled a little further than three feet.

      The Red Cross people were not searching for me. They were out collecting money for their charity and must have heard my sound and thought we were having a party in the shack. They came to tell me to keep the noise down as it was disturbing the Alpine cattle which produce the milk which make Swiss chocolates.

      I promised to stop blowing the horn if they helped me get down the mountain safely.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  3. And here i thought they sent out St. Bernard dogs with a wee dram to sustain you while you wait for help. Oh, well, maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope ... the St Bernard dogs were on vacation in warmer climes.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  4. I’m so glad you were rescued and taken to safety. The lesson to be learned here is exactly the one you stated fairly early in the story. Don’t go too high in the mountains without companionship of a friend. Every now and then one comes across good advice even thought it is rarely taken. God bless, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Nells. It was silly and dangerous to go up the mountain alone.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. What an entertaining tale! (Tho' it must not have seemed so to you at the time.) "A cold frission of foreboding" ..... actually sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mevely, I will be considered a literary genius one day. I may use the cold frisson phrase again in my writings.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. The strangest things happen to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Happyone. Almost unbelievable.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. You may be warm hearted but when you blow that horn you only...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... sadly that's what happened.

      God bless, JoeH.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, you on top of the Pair O'Knees... But I guess it must have been in the Alps, due to this Alphorn.
    You had me laugh very hard with your 'modern' sentence about global warming by adding to the malevolent noxious gases already produced by our bovine friends.
    No doubt you made those bovines smile! 🐃🐂🐄🐐
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you laughed at my writing, Mariette. Thanx.

      There is so much hot air being spoken about global warming and changes in climate. I did not want to add to it by blowing hard!

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  9. I would think in a frozen alpine shelter a little "global warming" might be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I did not think of that at the time.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.