Tuesday 21 March 2023

Allo ... c'est moi, ici!

 


Have you ever wished you could take a holiday from being yourself? You know, being someone else but not you. Act totally differently from the same old same old you? 
 
Perhaps take a day off work and go to a town or city where no one knows you and pretend to be someone else. Perhaps speak in a different accent. Or dress as a down-and-out and mix for a while with the homeless to get to experience better how they feel. Or maybe be an angel and buy them food and coffee. 
 
Have you really never wished you were someone else for the day; anyone but you?
 
I like the French; and one day I decided to be French from there on. I got up in the morning, and after having a croissant for breakfast, (which I had deliberately purchased the day before), drank a black café and nearly choked myself on a Gitanes cigarette, I went out to the newsagent for my morning papers.

"Allo ..." I said to the newsagent, "Bonjour monsieur. Do you 'ave Le Monde and Paris Match pleeze?"

"Are you alright mate?" asked the newsagent having recognised me despite my beret and striped T shirt.

"Comment?" I continued in my best French accent, " 'ave you not zese publications?"

"What's the matter with you this morning?" asked the newsagent getting a little irritable, "why are you speaking in this terrible French accent?"

"Why iz it terrible?" I asked, making sure to pronounce terrible in French rather than in English, "do you not like ze French?"

"I like the French very much," he replied getting angry at my insinuation, "in fact I have a holiday home in France and we go there at least three times a year. It's you coming here this morning with your stupid hat and striped shirt pretending to be French. What's the matter with you?"

Now of course, if I am to have a holiday from being myself I had to remain in character and not go back to type as being me. So I asked him, "Do you 'ave Gitanes cigarettes?"

"No!" he growled.

"Do you 'ave Gauloises?" I continued.

"No!" he emphasised looking me straight in the eye.

"Wat cigarettes de France do you 'ave?" I asked.

"Look, I know you don't even smoke," he said. "So you either get your usual morning papers or you leave the shop right now. I'll set the dog on you!"

"Iz it a French poodle or a Papillon?" I asked. But I did not wait for a reply as he waved a baguette at me and threw a brioche which hit me at the back of the head as I left hurriedly.

This being someone else is not all it is cracked up to be. What is worse, when I got back home the dog did not recognise me and jumped at me biting me somewhere which changed my tone of voice, if not my accent, for the rest of the day.

How about you? Have you ever wished to have a holiday from being yourself and being someone else, real or imagined? Tell us who is your Walter Mitty fantasy.

23 comments:

  1. ...as a matter of fact, no! I'm quite content being me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be content - or con ton if you pronounce it in French.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    Trying to imitate anyone else is generally a very bad idea...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not good at being anyone other than myself, Victor - lol!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth trying ... on the phone for instance when someone phones you. Try a different accent.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. All the time, yes! I'd just have to be certain to travel where no-one could recognize me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... the spirit of adventure. I use a different accent when a salesperson rings me trying to sell me something. I pretend I'm in a French restaurant and try to book him a table.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your posts. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visits here, Regine.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. I remember being in 4th grade and wondered what it would be like being the person sitting in front of me. Never found out so I am me forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one. You should have sent him to sit the exam instead of you.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  7. Allo ... c'est moi, ici! Ah ha. I had only a year of French, but I do know you said, "Hello, it is me, (not sure but is ici 'here?'
    Sherry sat in front of me and was a complete distraction so I failed to learn even the basics....

    The best to 'ye, thee or thou' which ever it is in French! LOL
    Sherry & jack somewhere over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jack. Ici means here. It's me here!

      And I'm so glad that you are here too. I value your visits and it's good to hear from you. Hope you and Sherry are keeping well.

      God bless y'all.

      Delete
  8. No, I've never wanted to be anyone else. Funny Ken and I were just talking about that the other day. I'm quite content being me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say it might be fun to go somewhere and pretend to be someone else for a day. I'm not sure who, though, I'd have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Victor, being a prison visitor on the lifers' wing for a few years made me realize that the only person I want to be is one who is trying not to sin and can share the gospel wherever I can. I took French for two years in my school, but only remember a certain amount of it. que Dieu te bénisse Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French can be difficult with all the verb endings.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  11. Well as one who loves classic novels I would like to take a vacation from myself and be Jo March from Little Women or Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. I know most guys wouldn't read such books.😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to be someone else for a while. We had to read these books at school.

      Thank you for your visit Regina. See you here again soon.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.