Monday 6 March 2023

What's on TV?

 

I don't watch much TV. Apart from nature programmes and general "put you to sleep" programmes. I find I easily nod off when I'm watching TV. One moment I'm watching herds of wildebeests walking across the plains in search for water and then I open my eyes and see a couple making love in bed.

How did that happen? Did someone change the channel whilst I was asleep? Or did they build a house in the wilderness after the wildebeests had all gone? And why has he got his socks on?

So in effect what I am saying is the TV for me is a cure for insomnia. Switch it on and I fall asleep.

I had thought of moving the TV up in the bedroom, but to be honest I am no-longer the rule-maker in that particular room. Things have changed since that day when, as a wedding anniversary present, I exchanged our bed for a trampoline. My wife hit the roof.

I did discuss the matter with a nice lady marriage counsellor; and she did offer to visit us at home and discuss the matter together with my wife. My wife totally refused because she did not think it was appropriate to have the three of us in bed together.

So there you have it ... no TV in the bedroom ... ... ... ... ... 

I seem to have lost my train of thought. What was I going to say when I started this post? Could you wait a minute or so; I'll go make a cup of coffee and maybe remember what I meant to say.

(Ten minutes later).

Ah ... I'm glad you're still here. Thanks for waiting. What I meant to say is that I don't watch much TV because it is all so depressing and miserable. Whether it's the news, documentaries, drama or even nature programs. It is all so sad and negative. Even the adverts are miserable advertising things you'd rather not know about or need. I won't give examples; I'm sure you have similar adverts on your TV.

Why can't all those wildebeests gang up together and punch the lion on the nose rather than run away until the weakest one succumbs and dies? That is not conducive to me enjoying a ginger biscuit and a nice cup of tea, is it? Or coffee? Although I'll admit that coffee is not everyone's cup of tea. Some prefer hot chocolate instead; but you know what I mean.

The other day there was this sad TV drama about a woman suffering from severe migraine headaches. She could not speak English well and she explained to her doctor in broken English that she'd spent all weekend in bed "with a migrant." I wondered what her husband would make of this. 

Anyway, I must have dozed off again and as I reopened my eyes there was this advert about headache remedies tablets and I thought it was part of the TV drama. It was not until a cartoon character promoted the product that I realised it was an advert.

And the damn dog had eaten my ginger biscuits.

17 comments:

  1. ...there are a few shows that I enjoy, but much on TV isn'y worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Tom. Sometimes all there is on TV is dust because of the static electricity. I told my wife and she gave me the silent treatment without me using the remote control.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. When I can't sleep I go into the living room and turn on the television. Without my glasses on I can't see the screen, but the audio is a great sleep inducer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the same effect when my wife talks. She says I have two major faults: ONE - I don't listen to her, and I can't remember the other one ...

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. In bed with a migrant .... hahahaha! Honestly, I wouldn't mind if our televisions were to suddenly implode. Not only are their shows depressing ... but what passes for 'prime time' entertainment is just stupid. (Do I sound old, or what?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The migrant story actually happened. Someone I knew told me she spent the weekend with a "migrant".

      You are right about TV standards these days. It is not entertainment in any sense of the word. Catering for the lowest moronic denominator.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. There's hardly any good shows on tv these days and it's good that we got rid of ours years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're missing much, Bill. Too many repeats anyway.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Ii enjoy a good mystery but otherwise there is not much to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. Programs like Poirot, Mrs Sharples, Sherlock Holmes and Colombo.

      God bless, Cathy.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    TV for sure has not much to offer and like you I only like to watch good historical movies or good nature documentaries.
    Don't miss TV at all right now.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss TV every time I throw something at it. I hit the vase my mother-in-law gave us for Christmas instead.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  7. We haven't had TV for a good many years.
    When I watch a DVD I have to be doing something like knitting or I fall asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Tom and Jerry DVDs; they keep me awake.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. We decided affording internet and TV was too much, so we have only internet. We're old fashioned and read the paper for our news, and no upsetting TV ads.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.