Wednesday 15 March 2023

Praying

 

Father Ignatius sat in the empty church right up front by Our Lady’s statue. He watched for a while the votive candles burning at her feet and then started his Rosary.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, these words came whirling fast into his head, totally uncontrollable and spontaneous, yet as clear as if they were spoken to him there and then.

“How shall I pray?” said the words in Father Ignatius’ head.

“Shall I beg over and over again for you to hear me? Is that what You want of me?

“Shall I plead for ever like the widow to the judge until she was heard?

“How do you want me to see You? As an over-powerful ruler demanding His own way?

“How do you want me to love You? As one loves a monster, with immense fear lest I arouse your anger and wrath?

“Shall I fear you for ever and cower at the thought of your fury?”

Father Ignatius stopped praying and made the sign of the Cross. He took a deep breath … and yet the words continued in his mind … somehow gentler now … somehow softer …

“Love me as a child … with no fear and no dread.

“Trust me as a child trusts his parents when they give him food and drink.

“A child never questions whether the food is good to eat … he takes it in trust and asks for more.

“He never doubts when led by his parents … he follows eagerly holding hands along the way.

“Love me as a child … and I’ll treat you with love and compassion.

“Ask me as a child … and I’ll give you what’s good for you in good time.

“Trust me as a child … and I’ll show you the way …

“No matter how difficult your journey ahead, I’ll always be there … guiding you into eternity … with Me.”

The words suddenly stopped as quickly as they’d started. Yet their message remained with the priest for a long time.

19 comments:

  1. 2 He (Jesus) called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
    Matthew 18:2, 3, 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Thank you Anonymous for this wonderful Gospel quote.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...each prayer is personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that God speaks to everyone, but not everyone listens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're too busy to listen; they think they know best.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. As a child. (Or my pups ... yes.) For some reason I'm reminded of that old saying, 'When the student is ready, the teacher appears.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good point, Mevely. Some never want to learn.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    That is perfectly typified how we ought to see our heavenly Father!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. May we all worship God as His beloved children. Love this, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Martha. Thank you and God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. In God's eye, we will always be his children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just talk to God during the day about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A prayer is a conversation with God.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful words. Yes, although often it's a tall order.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.