Sunday 30 June 2024

Who are you?

 


When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

“But what about you?” He asked. “Who do you say I am?”

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:13-20

If I asked you, "Who are you?" you would probably give me your name. But that doesn't help, does it? You'd say "I am Victor, Tom, Dick or even Harry ..." what does that really mean? It is only a label we have put to a body to identify that body. It does not really say who you are.

You might add, "I am a doctor, lawyer, teacher," or whatever else. But that does not add anything does it? All it says is what your trade or job is. 

You might describe yourself as a spouse, parent, grandparent, son, daughter ... and that might add more information as to who you are. And the more questions we ask the more we get to know an individual as to who they are, as opposed to just a name or a trade.

The disciples could have said, "You're a teacher, a healer, a preacher, a wise man," and other adjectives to describe Jesus. They had been with him for some time and had seen Him teach and heal people. 

Peter was first to speak and declare, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Then He ordered His disciples not to tell anyone that He was the Messiah. Matthew 16:13-20

Note specifically what Christ said, "this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven."

This was not Peter, a human, just talking. It was the Holy Spirit, through Peter, Who proclaimed who Jesus was.

At that point, God spoke, through Peter, to declare that Jesus is His Son.

It also happened when Jesus was baptised, the Holy Spirit appeared like a dove and a voice from Heaven said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased!"

And at the Transfiguration, a voice was heard from the cloud and said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him!"

Worth thinking about when someone ever asks you why you believe in Christ.


14 comments:

  1. ...Victor, my best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Victor, we are given the keys to Heaven some abuse the keys other believe in the use of the keys.
    Gods Blessings to you and yours.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Catherine. God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Always nice to remind people. Good day to you, Victor

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's beloved Son . . . May we all believe in Him.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why? I am a daughter of the King. To disavow Him would empty me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answering this question is the most important thing in the world. I like Mevely's answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ❤️
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.