Saturday 28 December 2019

Peter Paterson

Peter Paterson lives in a small cottage behind our house. His garden backs onto our garden. He is about 80 years old and lives alone in that cottage behind us. We don't usually speak although we see him sometimes pottering in his garden. He doesn't do any heavy work, but walks around slowly with his stick looking at this and that and then goes into his house again.

He does not have any visitors. His wife died some years back and his two children have left home. No one seems to call on him. I heard him once say to another neighbour that he was all alone and lonely. Especially at Christmas and special occasions like his wedding anniversary, or his children's birthdays. He sits at home and cries.

It is sad how many elderly people are alone these days. Especially at this time of year.

I think he got himself a dog. He probably got it for company. All day yesterday I heard him calling it in the garden.

"Help ... Help ... Help ..."

Funny name to give a dog, I thought.

Anyway ... he must have eventually found the dog because he stopped calling it.

For some reason, as I passed his house today there was an ambulance outside. I wonder if his dog is not well!
OK ... I AM JOKING!

YOU LOT SHOULD REALLY STOP TAKING ME SERIOUSLY

22 comments:

  1. Only you could tell such a terrible story (joke) as a way to say "please visit and think of the elderly and lonely people in your life, especially at this time of the year."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly you are right, JoeH. I know a number of lonely people especially this time of year.

      Here in the UK elderly people get FREE bus passes. I remember an old lady saying she goes out on the bus just to see and meet other people; even though she does not speak to them. That's loneliness.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  2. Well, Victor, you had me going there for a minute! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I made you smile, Diane.

      Happy New Year. God bless.

      Delete
  3. You imp! I shouldn't laugh; really, I shouldn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good to laugh, Mevely. It creates dolphins inside us and they tickle us to make us better.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. Yes, you had us all going, Victor! But there is so much loneliness at Christmas, especially for older folks if no family is close by. I'm so grateful we could have my mother with us during the holiday; it's especially hard on her because my father's birthday was on Christmas Day. Lots of memories that could quickly turn sad if not for the cheer family members can give one another.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the point of this post, Martha. To remind readers of the real loneliness around us. So sad at this time of year.

      It's so good you had your Mom with you for the celebrations. Making good memories. That's what it is all about.

      God bless you and your family always, Martha.

      Delete
  5. You are so right - there are so many lonely ones, both old and young. We try to reach out to them every chance we are given. The world is a much better place when we each do our part! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl for taking the time to reach out. Loneliness can be so sad ... and frightening.

      God bless. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. Now I know to never to name my dog "Help." Such a clever and funny way to get a very sad point across. We do need to reach out to those who are alone,not only at Christmas but when we see the opportunity. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti. Yes loneliness can be such a terrible thing. Here in the UK and elsewhere too. Let us pray for all those old and young who are alone now and at other times too.

      Happy New Year. God bless.

      Delete
  7. Sad to realize there are many people like that out there.
    We should all find a lonely person and make them a little less lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Happyone. If every one helped one lonely person there would be no one lonely in the world.

      Best wishes. God bless.

      Delete
  8. You are such a tease! Yes, it is a lovely thing to be able to go spend time with older people who are lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I made you smile, Mimi.

      May God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  9. I must be honest... I seen this one coming. Still made me smile as I got to the end... and then I thought... I must be a twisted individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it made you smile, and reminded you of all those people suffering loneliness - old and young, then you're OK.

      God bless you, Ryan.

      Delete
  10. I KNEW you wouldn't be one to not help someone in distress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have helped look for the lost dog if he asked me!

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.