Thursday 12 December 2019

Imagine It's You

About two thousands years ago an Angel appeared to a young virgin woman ... I think you know the rest of the story.

Now, if an Angel appeared to me right now I would probably fall off my swivel armchair, and I would drop the computer keyboard to the floor.

But imagine it happened to you.

Perhaps not a vision or an appearance as happened to Mary, but imagine that God spoke to you and asked you to do something for Him. Would you be able to say "Yes" like Mary did?

God has spoken to many people over the years and has asked them to serve Him in a special way.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta left her native land and spent her life helping the poor. She must have heard and obeyed God's wishes for her.

Father Damien De Veuster left his native country and went to work amongst the lepers in Molokai.

I am sure you can name other people who have heard the Word of God and obeyed it.

I know of a Deacon who left his job and went to work in a foreign country amongst the poor. He felt that God was calling him to do such work. He discussed it with his wife and they both had the courage to leave their careers behind, leave their family and friends, and travel to another country on a mission of mercy. They had grown up children at University who also agreed their decision and visited them during their break from studies.

As we prepare for Christmas, and remember the story of Mary and Joseph and their courage and faith in saying "Yes" to God, let us ask ourselves if our faith is strong enough, (as much as a mustard seed's worth), to say "Yes" to God if we were sure that He was asking us to do His will.

Personally, I don't think I ever could leave my family, friends and commitments and go to such lengths as moving to another country and help their poor.

Perhaps my faith is not as strong as I would like to believe, or as much as I pretend it is. Perhaps I am lacking in many ways.

Or perhaps God would not ask us to do something He knows we are not able to fulfil.

Meanwhile, let us thank Mary and Joseph, and all the other people since then, (and before), who have had the courage and faith to answer God's call.

21 comments:

  1. It's nice to see you visiting me here Agnes, thank you. Yes indeed, the Lord gives us according to our ability.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your candor, Victor. I know I am lacking in many ways. Rather than 'beat myself up' I'm clinging to your phrase,
    "God would not ask us to do something He knows we are not able to fulfil."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about this, Mevely. And I truly think that God would not ask us to do something we are not able to respond to or fulfil. Also I do not believe He will allow us to suffer, or be tested, beyond our individual personal ability. He is not in the business of losing His followers.

      “Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and He will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, He will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out”. (1 Corinthians Chapter 10 Verse 13).

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Victor. Food for thought. It reminds of me: many years ago, I told Jesus I would die for Him. His response to my heart was, "But, would you be tortured for Me?" To this day, 30 some-odd years later, I still cannot honestly answer that question. I would like to think I could. I would. But, I honestly do not know that I wouldn't deny Him to relieve my own suffering. And that hurts my heart. I pray I am never put to that test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane for your honest comment. I guess many of us have had similar thoughts like yours; and many have wondered about how strong is our faith. I know I have. Right now there are many people in the world who are being persecuted and killed just for being Christians. We need to pray for them.

      Rest assured that God loves you just as you are. He will not ask you anything beyond your capabilities.

      Please also see what St Paul says in his letter to the Corinthians. I have quoted it in my response to Mevely, above.

      God bless you always Diane.

      Delete
  4. Amen, Victor!

    And I think God is happy that you are right where you are; sharing His Word through this blog and your wonderful books. You are doing what He wants you to do, and it is no coincidence that we are reading your blog; that your writing is helping to strengthen our faith so that we may be a blessing to others.

    Keep up the good work, my friend. You are appreciated:)

    And may God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness and friendship, Chris. I guess we should all do what is in our capabilities; and He asks for no more.

      God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  5. If He wanted you to go somewhere He would lead you and it would be okay.

    Meanwhile, you are here, doing this. I think that is something. It is your Calling today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. We should concentrate on our calling and do it to the best of our abilities. Even if all we do is keep up our Christian blogs going.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  6. God has given us all different gifts, and He will call on us to use them in ways that bring Him honor and glory. Mine isn't missions work, either! But when we hear the Lord asking us to do something, may we be as willing as Mary and Joseph.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Martha. It's all a question of being able to listen to what God asks of us.

      May He bless you and your family always.

      Delete
  7. Our special gifts would be what God would ask us to do, such as expanding on them, talking, writing. I don't believe he would ask something of us that he knows we wouldn't be really good at. God knows our strengths and weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you, Bill. He would not put us in a position where we are going to fail. It shows you the character of Mary and Joseph doesn't it? They were asked something which most of us would probably hesitate to do.

      God bless you my friend and your family.

      Delete
  8. God calls each of us to do something different. I think He has put you where you are to write this blog. You have a gift of writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Happyone for your very kind comment. I am humbled.

      God bless you and yours my friend.

      Delete
  9. This is sure a sobering thought. I am not sure I could do certain things, but as you said, maybe that is why God hasn't asked me to. He has asked some hard tasks, and I have done my best to be faithful to His call. I am glad He is God, and I am not! The heavy lifting and decisions rest on Him. God bless you, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your visit here, Cheryl. Yes, the Lord does all the lifting and worrying on our behalf.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  10. Hi Victor,
    all we can do is what the Lord calls us to do with the gifts He gives us. We all have different gifts and they are gifts that are given to us by our Father God once we are born again of His Spirit.
    God bless all as they do what they have been called to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Brenda. Every talent that we have, evry ability, are all gifts from God. We should use them for His glory.

      God bless you and your family, Brenda.

      Delete
  11. My hope and prayer is that, at the moment, He would give me the strength and courage and faith to obey.

    On a different note, ever notice how by the time an angel says, "Don't be afraid," it's already too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that God would give us the strength and courage to do as He asks. I guess an angel apparition would be frightening at first.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.