Tuesday 18 January 2022

Basic Instinct

 

We all act on instinct from time to time. If we touch something hot or sharp we immediately withdraw in pain. If we taste something unpleasant, the basic instinct is to spit it out. And when I hammer hard on my finger, missing the nail altogether, as I did this morning, believe me, my first instinct was not to say: “Jolly gosh, this was a tad uncomfortable for me !!!”.

I suppose the same applies when some terrible situation happens to us. The first instinct is probably fear, followed with a multitude of others such as confusion, doubts, worry, anger and so on.

But what if our first instinct in such situations was to immediately turn to God?

Instinctively, without thinking, turn to God for help, reassurance, guidance and peace.

What if our automatic reflex to any bad situation was an immediate reaching out to God? Before even the negative emotions come into play.

Wouldn’t that make our lives that much better? Because after all, God’s will for us is to have peace. Christ often greeted His disciples with the words “Peace be with you”.

So at the first sign of trouble, let’s turn to Him and ask: “Lord, grant me your peace in this situation.”

Years ago I knew a priest who was always calm and serene. Nothing seemed to rattle him, and I truly believe he had the Holy Spirit within him.

Once in a sermon he said: “I’ve made a deal with God. I carry out His work on earth to the best of my abilities; He takes care of the worries!”.

There’s a message for us to consider.

20 comments:

  1. ...going things to the best of our abilities is key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relying on God for everything is the secret to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That priest's philosophy is golden! Oh, had I only turned to God last night. Instead, I lost sleep and more importantly, peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying for you, Mevely, that whatever is troubling you will be dealt with by our Lord, in His love and mercy.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  4. A man was trapped in a tree during a flood. He prayed to God to save him. A row boat came to his rescue but he waved it off, "God will save me" then a helicopter came but he waved it off, "God will save me" as he started to be overcome by the flood he asked God, "Why did you not save me" and God said, "I sent you a row boat and a helicopter, what else did you want?"

    God gave us many instincts to use for our protection, if they fail, then yes ask his help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, JoeH. We should consider our God-given instincts to turn to Him for help and guidance.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. If we listen to our instincts instead of ignoring them, we might be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT & Timely entry. Sherry turns to God with trouble, I seem to always try to fix it FIRST, to my sorrow. Lately I get the idea HE said, "Go ahead but you sure are stupid!" HE is right. Thanks for your prayers, God is Good and so is life.
    Sherry & jack
    PS: Me 'n Mev (above) must be kin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a male instinct to try and fix it first. I know I do that. How much time and trouble we would save if we turned to God in the first place.

      Praying for you and Sherry, Jack. God bless.

      Delete
  7. God IS the first one I turn to!!
    Amen to what Kathy G said!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Late reading blog posts as I've been on the road to run our errands in the big city after 6 weeks.
    But I love that priest's deal with God! Yes, we live a lot more peaceful if we turn the bad things and worries to God, he will handle it well.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mariette. It should be our first instinct to turn all things to God in full trust.

      God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  9. Hah, at the first sign of trouble my first thought is what the heck did I do wrong? or how do I fix this? or more commonly oh F***!, which probably horrifies most of your commenters. Then I calm down and in the end things usually turn out well or well enough. So I guess I could thank God for the calming down part which allows me to find the solutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, is it always you who find the solutions?

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  10. If I learned anything from my recent ordeal in the hospital, Victor, this was it. Yes, I was afraid, but I realized that all God wanted for me was His peace. I was able to trust in Him, and by His healing grace, I am back home.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear you are back home recuperating, Martha. Take it easy and slowly.

      Prayers of thanks will be said on your behalf.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.