Sunday 6 November 2022

God's Logic and our logic

 


Harry was a practical man. Pragmatic, calculating and very very logical. He always thought things out thoroughly and his conclusions were logical and well worked out.

One day he asked Father Ignatius if he could spare some time for a chat. The always approachable priest took Harry to his office in the Parish House and after a cup of coffee and biscuits he encouraged him to speak.

“It’s something I’ve had on my mind for years Father,” started Harry, “I’ve never actually confessed it at Confession, which might be a sin in itself I suppose, but it still keeps niggling me at the back of my mind. So I’d assume this chat is a Confession in itself.”

The kindly priest smiled and nodded to encourage him to continue.

“Years ago,” Harry said, “someone hurt me very badly. It totally changed my life, and even today, my circumstances and my life are the result of that person’s action towards me.

“That person then moved on to another town far away and we haven’t seen each other since.

“I believe I have forgiven that person. Truly and honestly forgiven them in the sense that I do not seek any retribution, revenge and nor do I bear any ill will whatsoever towards that person. Even though, as I said, my life is still affected by what that person did. I even pray for that person sometimes, would you believe Father!”

The priest smiled and said nothing.

“But I tell you in all honesty Father,” continued Harry, “I hate that person. I don’t wish that person bad as I said, but I don’t like that person at all. I still get angry at times, thinking at what has been done to me. Even though I forgive again deep in my heart I still hate.

“That person never asked for forgiveness. And the likelihood is that the person doesn’t even care for forgiveness.

“Does my private hate negate … wipe away my forgiveness?”

Father Ignatius said nothing for a while; then, cautiously he said.

“When we forgive, our forgiveness should be total. Without any conditions and given in love.”
Harry interrupted.

“Yes I understand that. And strictly speaking Father I have forgiven totally. But how can I possibly love a person who has totally changed my life for the worse; and that of others too?

“My hatred, as I call it … my anger towards that person … is a private hatred and a private anger within me. The person does not know about it and is not harmed by my personal feelings in any way.

“That person has moved on to another life and doesn’t even care about forgiveness.

“How can a personal feeling, which technically speaking does not harm another person, be considered a sin? Surely God can’t accuse me of harming that person?”

Father Ignatius waited a while and then replied, “You say the person does not know nor cares about your forgiveness, and is therefore not harmed by your private thoughts and feelings towards them.

"But … is your sin against God perhaps. In that your forgiveness is not total since you hold some hatred back?”

“But Father …” Harry continued, “I have done my utmost best to forgive totally in that I wish that person no ill-will whatsoever.

“I just can’t help disliking, and sometimes hating that person.

“Surely God knows how I am made up as a human. He created me and He gave me all these emotions we humans share.

“Dislike and hatred are such emotions. God knows very well that my hate is borne from anger and perhaps unhealed hurt and a sense of injustice within me. God gave me all these feelings and He can’t possibly blame me for reacting naturally to what’s happened to me.

“If my hatred resulted in harm and revenge towards the other person, then I understand it’s wrong.

“But my private hatred hurts no one. Neither that person, nor any one else, knows about it so how can it possibly hurt them or be a sin?

“If anything, the hatred is hurting me as it burns inside me … but I can’t help it. It’s the way I’m made.”

The priest prayed silently for a few seconds. He understood that the man was still hurting badly and yet, Harry used his impeccable logic to reason that his private feelings were no sin towards man or God.

“Let’s look at it another way,” said the priest calmly, “you’re right Harry in saying that your private hatred is not physically or in any other way hurting the other person.

“You’re also right in saying that your hatred is an emotion given to you by your Creator together with all the other emotions we have as human beings.

“But God also gave us the emotion and power to love. In fact Christ told us clearly to love one another; especially our enemies.

“So by hating the other person, however privately, you are denying them your love. You can’t love and hate at the same time. Also, by hurting yourself, as you graphically described the burning inside you, you are sinning in as much as you are self-harming your very being in body and soul. Remember Christ’s commandment to love one another as you love yourself?”

“So is it a sin?” Harry interrupted again, “because I can’t help how I feel about this person. No matter how I try. I bear no ill-will as I said, but I just can’t like or love the person as you suggest!”

“I understand …” Father Ignatius said gently, “the world has seen many evil leaders do many evil things over the years. It is not always humanly possible to love them and forgive them as Christ did on the Cross.

“He is God … and we are not.

"But at the very least we should try as best as we possibly can to forgive wholeheartedly, even though, in human terms, our hearts can’t always genuinely love as He commanded.”

19 comments:

  1. ...somethings are hard to forget and forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Harry is a human....... I love how your Father I can allow someone to talk, and NOT jump in. I love that trait, wish I could practice it more. That is very seriously said. I tell myself to LISTEN to my youngest son and NOT interrupt, but I end up SAYING TOO MUCH! I am getting better and YES, I do like your LOGIC in these posts. THANKS..
    Sherry & jack on this side....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack. We often try genuinely to forgive, but this does not take away the hurt, and resentment perhaps, of the pain that has been done to us and our loved ones. It's human nature to hurt; and sometimes the wounds take a long time to heal, a lifetime even.

      God asks us to forgive. And we should try, even through the hurt. But when we fail, God understands, and forgives. He forgives more perfectly than we possibly can.

      God bless you always; and thank you fro your kindness to me.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful, meaningful story, Victor, and oh, so true!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is honestly a fascinating subject. Something I'd never considered, but can certainly identify with Harry's point of view. Maybe then, the sin and suffering is only ours to bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise an interesting point, Mevely. Yes, in a way, the sin of suffering is only ours to bear. Generally speaking, all suffering is ours on a personal basis. We may suffer in our condition, be it a health issue or the result of sin or treatment from someone else, and yet we can share in that suffering with others. When we help in a practical way, and sympathise and identify with someone else's suffering, we may well be helping them in a positive way; yet the bottom line is that the suffering is theirs alone to bear. E.G. you can help someone who is ill but he bears the suffering of the illness.

      If we are to be like Christ, we bear the suffering for ourselves. He carried all the suffering of our sins when He died so cruelly on the Cross.

      Having said that, however, it does not mean that we should "enjoy" our suffering gladly and carry it as a badge of "goodness" for Christ. God did not mean us to suffer and endure this life. Christ came to earth so that we may have life and have it to the full.

      "As He went along, He saw a man blind from birth.
      His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

      "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." (John 9:1)

      So, suffering is not because of our sin but it is there to provide others with the opportunity to glorify God by their works - e.g. practical help, sympathy, healing etc...

      Please don't hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss further. Sorry this comment is so long.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. No apology necessary, Victor. I value every word -- as I do your friendship.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    Yes, as hard as we humans try to live in the image of Christ—we only are humans with all their doubts and weaknesses.
    But sure, as Father Ignatius advised—we at least should TRY!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, my point precisely. You are right, Mariette; we should at least try to forgive totally. However hard it is.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Forgiving and loving is some times tough but we must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of the toughest things we can do, is totally forgive someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps it might help him to understand we are not expected to restore a relationship with a person who has harmed us, even after we forgive. We're also right to be angry about the evil the other person committed.

    He can continue to be angry with what the person did and refuse to ever seek a relationship with that person, yet forgiving and turning both that person and his own feelings over to God for healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. We should pray for the one who harmed us and hand him over to God.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.