Friday 18 November 2022

The squirrel lady

 

A few days ago I visited my Australian friend Matilda. You remember her? An elderly lady living on a farm with all sorts of animals like cows, pigs, chickens and ... even a kangaroo; or a wallaby as she pointed out at the time I was there.

This time I was very careful not to help her feed the pigs. I remember falling flat on my face in the mud.

It was a pleasant evening catching up on old times and I stayed the night there ready to travel back on business the next day. It's more convenient staying at Matilda's rather than go in a hotel, especially since her farm is so close to the motorway and out of town.

As I got ready for bed, I noticed there was a large cage in the corner of the room. The sort of cage you would use for a medium sized dog when travelling in a car. It was empty. 

I got into bed and there was a knock on the door. "Are you decent?" asked Matilda

I'm always decent, and I asked her to come in. She entered with a squirrel in her hand. "I hope you don't mind sharing the room with Superman," she said as she placed him in the cage.

"Superman?" I asked.

"Yes, the poor fella injured himself," she said in her Australian accent, "he had a wife and is now all alone the little mite!"

"A wife?" I asked again.

"Yes," she said, "I used to see him with his wife in the woods at the back, both of them playing together. But lately he's been alone and has injured his leg. I let him stay the night indoors until he gets better,  and let him go in the morning."

"What happened to his ... wife?" I hesitated.

"How should I know, cobber? Maybe they divorced, or separated or perhaps she's dead. What kind of stupid question is that?"

I decided to say nothing. She's the one who mentioned a wife and I'm the stupid one.

"I normally let him loose in this room," she said, "he likes to hide under the covers. But seeing you're here tonight I thought you wouldn't want him in bed with you searching for nuts!" 

"So that's what those acorns were doing under the sheets?" I asked.

"Yes, I put them there in case he wants a snack at night. But tonight he'll be in this cage, and you'll be safe!" she said as she left the room.

I must admit I was nervous all night. I did get some sleep, but every so often I could hear Superman rattling in his cage. Perhaps he was trying to get out. Who knows!

19 comments:

  1. ...I could use a back massage right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send Superman the squirrel round.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Poor Superman! For a chance at a back rub, I'd let him have all the nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can now say I spent the night with a squirrel.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. So far not much has helped to comment. But at least the annon works. Hope Superman is the one with a great back rub and hidden acorn.....
    Sherry & jack confused about comments...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you're still having trouble with commenting Jack. Check if any squirrels have eaten through the computer cable your end. I'll check over here too.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if Superman is related to Racer?
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. It was a small brown squirrel. Rather lively fellow.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  5. LOL, superman the squirrel, who knew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have believed a squirrel called Superman!
      ?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Indeed, Superman is of the cute variety of Red Squirrel that we never see around here—only the grey ones and they lack those tufts on the ears.
    Would be cute for having him in our room.
    We used to have a pet squirrel...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? A squirrel in your room? You had a pet squirrel you say. Did he run everywhere knocking ornaments on the fireplace and cabinets, and jumping onto the chandelier and all over the place? Squirrels never stand still. I would be frightened he'd bite me.

      You are very brave Mariette. God bless.

      Delete
    2. Yes Victor, we sure had one—you forgot that you comment on that post?https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2017/05/our-pet-squirrel-eekie-dachshund-mauzie.html

      Delete
    3. October 2020 - doesn't time fly?

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  7. Hi Victor, this story does sound a bit 'nuts'......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mostly acorns put in the bed under the sheets.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. You don't want a squirrel in the house, i promise. Wild animals don't do well in homes, so i hope he's back out in the wild.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.