Tuesday 1 November 2022

Howling at the moon

 

Have you ever howled at the moon? Gone out in a field, or out in the open on a full moon night and howled like a wolf or a dog? 

This young lady I met at a business conference said she drives in the suburbs to a field and howls at the moon with other people as a group. She invited me to go with her once, and tempted as I was, I declined on account of my being busy with my hobby and pastime of being a coward.

She explained that about a dozen people meet up regularly when it's a full moon and they howl at it. One of them starts first and makes wolf noises then all the others join in. 

I asked her why they go out in a field and do that. She said because if they did it in town people would complain.

She also added that some of her friends are FOBs; including her. I raised my eyebrows and she smiled at my ignorance and said "Friends of Bats".

It is a preservation and protection society caring for bats; which is a good thing I suppose. 

She told me that years ago we had vampire bats in the UK.

"Here in the UK?" I asked, "I thought vampire bats lived in central and South America not in the UK."

She explained that the UK was full of vampire bats which came out at night and fed off cattle, sheep and horses. Sometimes they fed off blackcurrants and blackberries juice thinking it was blood. Then gradually they turned vegetarians and became fruit bats. 

Now in the UK we only have fruit bats and bats that eat insects.

I nodded politely.

She asked me how long I'd been a vegetarian. I told her I wasn't. She looked me up and down once or twice and walked away.

That's when I realised I was at the wrong Conference. No wonder most people, except me, were in Halloween costumes. She was wearing a pumpkin outfit and I did not realise I was in the wrong place.


12 comments:

  1. ...that cartoon is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    Yep, we definitely are NOT in that group—except that we appreciate our own bats that live under the Attic Gable Vent attached to the screen—not getting inside our attic.
    https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2021/12/found-one-of-our-bats-on-driveway-and.html
    Maybe she was rabid...?
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the bats in your property. Over here they are protected creatures. We see them sometimes in the early evenings in summer.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  3. FOBs LOL. Well I guess it is good to be FRIENDS in his life rather that enemies... Thank for the smiles. WE did giggle out loud after seeing the whole picture of the cartoon!!
    Love sent from this side,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that cartoon. Quite seasonal I thought. Wishing you happiness always.

      God bless, Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  4. Close encounter of the, the ... what, 6th kind? You do find yourself in the strangest places, Victor. Given I suffer from positional vertigo when gazing up at the moon, the FOB's aren't the kind I want to hang out with. (I just learned that term the other day, relieved the wine had nothing to do with it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positional vertigo? In my time, I have known horizontal vertigo after a few drinks.

      God bless you and yours, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. No, can't say I've ever howled at the moon.
    Love the cartoon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it sometime, Happyone. Very exciting.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. That cartoon is so funny :)

    Happy November to you Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan. Best wishes to you and the family.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.