Tuesday 18 July 2023

Friends

 

I have two friends ... What I mean to say is that I want to mention two friends. Of course I have more than two friends in real life; but at this point in time I want to mention just those two friends. Real friends; not friends like you get on social networks websites.

Come to think of it, it's amazing how the Internet has changed the meaning of certain words. Like friends for instance.

These days you can go on a website and pretty soon you have gathered a multitude of friends. Dozens of peoples, hundreds even, whom you have never met before, nor are likely to meet, nor would you wish to meet if you knew them in real life, are suddenly your friends through a click of a mouse.

Mouse ...that's another word that has a totally new meaning because of the Internet and computers. That little device you hold in your hand and squeeze is no more furry and mouse-like than a real mouse is. Which reminds me. At a party once, after a few drinks, I asked the hostess if lemons had feathers. She said "Of course not!"

"Oh dear ..." I replied, "in that case I've squeezed your canary in my drink!"

Now where was I? Oh yes ... friends. A friend of mine, a real one that is, has more friends on his social network website than real people I've met in my entire life. Hundreds of them, he has.

I mean, how does he know they're all real? They could be anybody, and not who they say they are. They could have made up their names and photos. Some even have pictures of animals as their identity. How do I know whether Margaret Fontainepiece is not really a giraffe? I may well have befriended a giraffe all this time and I didn't even know it.

Followers ... that's another term misused on the Internet. Instead of friends, some people have hundreds of followers. I'd hate to have that many followers in real life, especially since half the time I don't even know where I'm going. Let's face it, would you want hundreds of followers squeezing in with you in the toilet next time you're at the restaurant, supermarket or any other place with a public toilet? Or in your own home even? Why can't followers follow someone else?

Some websites use the word "like" to denote some sort of affirmation of what you have written. I must admit that at first I misread it for the word "licks" and my mind boggled at someone having that many licks by people he or she had never met.

Now then ... where was I before you led me astray with your lack of interruptions. Oh yes, I remember ... I have these particular two friends in real life.

One of them is so short that his passport photo is life size. When he stands up his feet do not reach the ground. The other one is so tall that he has to stand on a chair in the morning to shave himself.

Are you my friend?

Are you short or tall?


18 comments:

  1. ...FB has changed the notion of therm friend. How can someone have thousands of REAL friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Tom. People have online friends they never met nor know anything about. I know you are a great photographer and I enjoy your Blog.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! Your take on social media is so spot-on. I'm reminded of something I saw out there: Being popular on Facebook is like sitting at the 'cool table' in the cafeteria of a mental hospital.

    PS - I'm 5'7" worth of Happy you're my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the mental hospital analogy, Mevely. These days everyone wants to be a celebrity and social media provides a vehicle for this. Like all vehicles, they sometimes crash.

      I am so pleased to be your friend. I often see the present you sent me hanging on our front door and think of you. Many thanx.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Interesting thoughts and fun at the same time. It's nice to make so many new "friends" here in blogland and elsewhere. Someday maybe we will really all meet up in heaven and enjoy true friendship that never ends, because we all chose to "Follow" the True Friend, Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice it is to see you visiting here Pamela. Thank you so much. Please call again soon and often; and invite your friends.

      I'm so glad I made so many friends on Blogger. And as you say, hopefully we'll all meet at a party in Heaven. Right now, I find the UK so far away from everywhere else for me to visit my online friends - but bake a cake ready just in case I pop round.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. For some people, the number of friends on social media is a status symbol. The more I have, the more important I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true. I once un-friended myself because I did not like something I wrote. I couldn't log in to my own Blog again!

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Some internet friends i've met in real life, or exchanged snail mail with them (there's another new-ish term we didn't have years ago). Some post actual pictures of themselves or have had books published and i've read them. Those i can say are genuine friends or at least acquaintances.

    As for the rest, they are internet friends, and that's enough for us, mostly because we each like what the other writes about or posts about.

    Meanwhile, i have plenty of actual friends, and i enjoy them, too.

    Your books and the radio recordings you've posted have assured me you are a genuine person. I'm thankful to have your prayers and i pray for you and your family, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Mimi. I am glad to consider you as a friend.

      I never intended to have a Blog or write so many books. It all started in 2007 with my first book VISIONS; then others followed. My recordings are all from old tapes from my radio days. I wish I had kept more. I sometimes do new recordings here at home with the equipment I have.

      God bless you, Mimi; and thank you for all your good works. Also for your much needed prayers.

      Praying for you and yours.

      Delete
  6. I'll always be your friend, Victor. Even though we've never met in person, I know that you are the real deal!
    I ordered your latest book, by the way. Can't wait to read it!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being a loyal friend and a supporter of my writings, Martha. I feel so frustrated that the UK is so far away from everywhere else and I cannot meet my many Blogger friends. Just think of all the cakes and cookies I could have.

      Thank you for ordering my book; (which one do you mean?) I hope you enjoy it, please let me know what you think.

      I am still busy editing and tidying up my latest book. It is hard work with so many obstacles in life right now. I am certain the devil does not want it published. It's been in draft form for many months now - almost a year.

      God bless always. Prayers too.


      Delete
    2. Where are you in the UK?
      You may have mentioned it somewhere but I'm not sure I'd believe it!

      Delete
    3. I've been everywhere, man
      I've been everywhere, man
      Crossed the deserts bare, man
      I've breathed the mountain air, man
      Of travel I've had my share, man
      I've been everywhere

      I've been to London, I've been to Edinburgh,
      I've been to Essex, Wessex, Northsex, Sussex and even Middlesex,
      I've been everywhere, man
      I've been everywhere!

      My Father Ignatius stories in my books are based in an un-named Northern England town. (Another clue).

      Click on the tab "Father Ignatius Books" above.

      God bless, David.

      Delete
  7. To have a true friend is a gift from God.
    A friend is someone who knows all your faults and still loves you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend is someone who does not borrow your lawnmower.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. A real Friends is when you meet a person. Physically in person. Relations by distance or computer can be a good relations, but.is another name of relation. Perhaps Followers. For to be Friends needs real Contact.
    Have a nice summer. With Joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, real friendship is when we know people personally.

      God bless, Vila.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.