Wednesday 26 July 2023

Pickled Onions

 

I don't know about you ... (why do people start sentences like that?)

I don't know about you, but over here the supermarkets sell pickled onions. I am not sure why. It's a peculiar combination of two things. Onions can be acidic and they don't half burn your tongue and make you cry. Vinegar is super acidic and bad tasting and would not win a competition against chocolate ice cream or anything chocolate. So who thought it was a good idea to combine both? Onions and vinegar.

I don't like pickled onions and wondered how many people do. So for your benefit, dear readers, I conducted a survey to find out.

I put a couple of jars in my coat pocket and boarded the bus. As it moved along I sidled by and sat next to a woman in a nice coat ... she was in her late forties I would say ... and opening the jar I offered her an onion.

She looked down her nose at me and said, "No," in a posh upper class accent. What a cheek, I thought. Looking down at me. If she is so upper class and well-to-do why is she in a bus with the likes of me? Is her Rolls Royce re-possessed because she cannot keep up the repayments? You know what they say around here,  "all fur coat and no knickers". I bet she's cold when the South wind blows! 

To entice her down to my level I said the onions were pickled in balsamic vinegar, whatever that is. She got up and moved to another seat.

I tried the experiment on other passengers. None wanted pickled onions from me. Not even the driver who threatened to throw me off the bus.

I took another bus. Same reactions. And the same in two other buses.

So I ask you: who likes pickled onions? Why are they made? Who buys them? The supermarkets would not stock them otherwise.

One of the mysteries of modern life. Like for instance, why do people follow celebrities on social media and not follow this Blog at all.

20 comments:

  1. ...I don't know about you, but I enjoy onions and pickled cucumbers know by me as pickles and dill of course. But I've never had pickled onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickled cucumbers are tasty, also red and green peppers, even carrot slices ... but onions?

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. I've sliced onions and soaked them in leftover dill pickle brine. I thought they were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAAAAAAH .... my eyes cry just thinking about it.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I love onions practically any which way, but don't recall ever seeing them pickled. I'll have to look next time we're at the grocers.
    "All fur coat and no knickers" cracks me up; now I'm wondering how I might incorporate that into my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickled onions are available here in the shops. I never tried them though.

      The knickers saying is well known over here. It refers to posh people, or nouveau-riche, with not much money. Just showing off wealth they don't have.

      God bless always, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. I love onions but never had a pickled onion. I've seen pickled eggs in a pub and people seem to love those but I never had one of those either. I do like pickles though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen pickled eggs too. Never tried them. I love pickled cucumbers and pickles in general.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Last night, Danny served a pickled cucumber and onion salad that he made from scratch. I actually loved it!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brave making your own pickles. My parents used to. I never tried in case they go bad/mouldy. You need to make sure no air is left in the jar, (so I'm told), in the pickling process. Some people put the pickled vegetables, brine and vinegar in the jar and then top it off with oil. The oil goes to the surface and ensures no air is in the pickles.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. ... and now you have me thinking about piccalilli
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-piccalilli

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tried making pickles, or piccalilli. Perhaps I should try. I've seen recipes that say you can make pickles in just an hour or so by leaving it in the fridge.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  7. I prefer raw onions to pickled ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw onions make me cry. I never did anything to hurt them.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. I love fresh sliced onions and cucumbers in a vinegar/oil/sugar kind of dressing. Does that count? I think there are pieces of onion in my bread and butter pickles that I love. Not sure I've ever seen a jar of just plain old pickled onions, but I shall look next time I am in the pickle aisle at the grocery store. I don't think I would try one on a bus from a stranger, however. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw onions are too strong for me. We use cooked onions but never pickled. Over here the supermarkets have jars of small (white/silver) pickled onions.

      https://groceries.morrisons.com/search?entry=pickled%20onions

      Just the right size to carry in one's coat pocket and enjoy in the cinema, on the bus, or at the theatre or opera !!!!

      Keep smiling, Pamela. God bless.

      Delete
  9. Onions are good, but i'm not so sure about pickled onions. When i ask for a veggie sandwich, i tell them to put so many onions on it would make my ancestors cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very brave, Mimi. Raw onions would really burn and make me feel bad. Cooked are OK though.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  10. Actually I make pickled onions and we do enjoy adding them to sandwiches! They are so easy to make and I usually make them for when we have company for a brunch. They taste great on a bagel with cream cheese, tomato, cucumber and pickled onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you visiting here Judee. Thank you. Please call again and often and invite your friends.

      Maybe I should try pickled onions. I hope they don't burn

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.