Sunday 9 July 2023

Forgive the fools

 

Today, in church, just after Communion, I found myself thinking about all those people who did me wrong in life. I don't know why I thought of them. Somehow, they all came to mind.

There have been several people who have hurt me over the years. All individual incidents who have come and gone, the people involved are no longer in my life, and I've survived most of the wrongdoings done to me. There are times when after the wrong has been done and has stopped, you still have to live with the after-effects of the wrong for the rest of your life. But I'm doing well.

In my thoughts I wondered, were all these people evil? Bad people who set out to do wrong? Or were they misguided? Influenced by some other evil, perhaps the devil? Or were they just plain stupid? Idiots following their beliefs and self-important opinions to the detriment of someone else - me.

I concluded that in most cases they were not really evil. But I had to forgive them all the same, even though I realise now they were fools.

When Christ hung there on the Cross, He said, "Forgive them because they don't know what they are doing." Not because they are evil.

The Jewish leaders and their followers thought they were defending the Law. The Law given to them by Abraham, Moses and the prophets. They were defending their positions as leaders. They feared a Roman response in their occupied land.

Yet here they had amongst them the very Son of God and they could not see it. They were blinded by their own beliefs and prejudices. Perhaps aided and abetted by the devil as he did to Judas.

They crucified the Son of God.

Was it pure evil? Misguided judgement? Or a bit of both?

"Forgive them, they don't know what they are doing."

12 comments:

  1. It might sound strange Victor but I have to say I have no recollection of anyone doing bad things to me. It might be just that I do not keep a record of wrongs. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I don't think of those folks, the list too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pray for them, Tom. I'm praying for them right now.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your post-Communion meditation. Very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one, Victor. Why is it, I'd not read further than Para. #2 and two faces immediately came to mind. No, 3.
    Pretty sure they knew exactly what they were doing; I want to label her 'evil.' But then, I don't have the right. Do I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are actually evil, Mevely; or heavily influenced by the devil. He tempts all of us at one time or another, but some people are more susceptible to his tricks and suggestions.

      Now that you've remembered those 3 people, why not spend a few minutes praying for them? Ask God to forgive them. We can't possibly hate those people we pray for.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Whatever the reason they did something to you that made you feel hurt, you have to forgive them and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One reason i believe we are called to forgive is we then leave them for The Almighty to sort everything. We judge by appearances, only He knows the heart and whether they meant to do wrong or not.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.