Friday 5 April 2024

Attractions

 

Right folks, I need your help with this. We were having a discussion at a family gathering over Easter and the subject was the most popular tourist attraction in the world. Someone suggested the pyramids, or Niagara Falls, Disney World, or the Eiffel Tower.

Personally, I don't agree about the Eiffel Tower and would not recommend it. It is not authentic. I went there some years ago and it does not lean to one side as in the photos. We bought a small model of the tower and when we got home it too was as straight as can be. I had to put some chewing gum under two of the legs to make it lean sideways. Only we did not know whether it should lean to the left or the right. Someone suggested it depends on which way you approach it. But when you're at home you can only approach it from the door as you enter the room. They should give you instructions with the model as to where you put the chewing gum - not included.

I suggested a great tourist attraction is the screwdriver museum. I think it's either in London or Edinburgh. I've never been, but I read it contains all kind and size of screwdrivers over the ages. Some have different tips like a cross rather than a straight line, others have a tip that looks like a star. Others have a magnetic tip so that the screw does not fall off. You could be there all day marvelling at all the exhibits.

Also, another great tourist attraction is the cross-junction between Acacia Avenue and Acorn Drive. It is visited by thousands of tourists every year, but has never been mentioned in tour guide magazines or brochures, despite its many visitors and it being near the local airport. There's also a nearby fast-food restaurant there in case you're a bit peckish whilst watching the passing traffic.

I heard that somewhere, can't remember where, there's a pencil museum. It contains all sorts of pencils of different sizes, colours, hardness of tip, and graduation of the graphite it contains. They have there a pencil used by Shakespeare when he wrote his plays. It's graded 2B, or not 2B; can't remember exactly which.

There's also a famous museum containing glasses/spectacles of famous people over the ages. Including the ones that Van Gogh dropped when he cut off his ear.

Anyway, how about you? What do you think is the most famous tourist attraction?

15 comments:

  1. ...Niagara Falls is right down the road from me. It's a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't place it on the most popular tourist attraction of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Tom, I read recently that counting the number of visitors, it is the most visited attraction in the world. You're fortunate to live near there.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. ...Victor, you are correct. Just try to find a place to park!

      Delete
  2. I think the leaning tower of Pisa is offended by this one, Victor. LOL!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the leaning tower was a Pizza Restaurant.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! Most popular', I suppose, is akin to 'beauty' -- only in the eye of a beholder. This reminds me of a hot summer day in Athens: When our guide said something about the Acropolis being the most popular/visited, my normally meek mother muttered, "Yes, and they're all here today."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, why is it when people visit certain cities they are told they HAVE to visit certain tourist sights - Paris, the Eiffel Tower, or Louvre or Champs Elysees; Egypt, the Pyramids and Sphinx, Athens, the Acropolis and so on. I'm so glad no one visits me.

    God bless you, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really an attraction kind of person.
    My two favorite vacations were walking ones. An England Coast to Coast walk with The Wayfarers and a Ring of Kerry walk in Ireland with the same company. Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some nice walks in England. God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  6. Not sure, but if you get a chance visit the Yellowstone Park in the USA or Lake Louise up there in Canada. Or you could drop by our house, we have a great swing or two and a nice fire ring to roast wieners....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely, if I could visit you and your family, Jack. If only ... thank you my friend.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. One of my favourite holidays was visiting the Pyramids of Giza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would want to see mountains made by The Lord rather than some human made tourist attraction, or the ocean He created. That's just me, however.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.