Thursday 25 April 2024

Lessons on being helpful

 

It seems that all my attempts at being helpful backfire some way or another. But I just can't help to volunteer even when I have no cause to do so and it's better to stand aside.

In a restaurant once someone shouted "is there a medic in the house?" To impress the people I was with I jumped up and said, "Can I help?"

A waiter in the kitchen had slipped and hurt his foot. I did not know what to do. Mouth to mouth resuscitation was not an option. So I placed my hand on his forehead to take his temperature. I don't even know what the normal temperature is. I then checked his pulse by holding his wrist. Everyone around was amazed at my technique. I said, "It's important to check for vital signs!" I then said with authority, "I think you should call an ambulance!"

On another occasion in Paris someone fell in the river. You could say he was in Seine! I threw him one of those inflatable rings on sign posts nearby and it hit him hard on the head nearly knocking him unconscious. Two other people swore at me in French and jumped it to pull him out of the water. That's very rude of them. If it was not for me throwing the ring they would not know where he was drowning.

I remember one day in the park in England some people were playing football. They hit the ball so hard it came towards me. In order to impress them I placed the ball on the ground, took a run at it, and kicked it back. Unfortunately I kicked it to the left and it went in the river. They too were rude about it. In English, not in French. 

Driving on a country lane one evening I saw a car parked on the side of the road with its bonnet up. A sure sign over here that the car had broken down. I stopped to help. It was an old couple. I looked under the bonnet and did not know what to do. It was all bits of engine and wires and cables and mechanical things. Why can't car manufacturers label each bit with a name and what it is for? The old man said, "Actually, the problem is a flat tyre, we are waiting for the car rescue service to arrive!" The old lady thought I was a thief and threatened to beat me with her umbrella.  

There was a commotion in town. Someone shouting, "stop ... thief ..." and running out the store. I jumped in and stopped him to the ground. He was the security guard chasing the real thief. I was accused of being an accomplice ... of the thief, not the security guard.

I think I'll give up being helpful. The good Samaritan did not have such troubles. Imagine if as he was helping the man onto his donkey the donkey had bitten him. He would have been accused of adding bites to assault, and charged for being the actual thief rather than the helpful Samaritan.

16 comments:

  1. ...lending a helping hand is noble thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can have the heart of the Good Samaritan, but we can't expect others to understand the efforts we make to help.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Martha; and I DID try my best to help.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what it's like in the UK, but every other advertisement over here is some attorney assuring us, (that) we deserve to be richly compensated for one transgression or another. Little wonder there are so few Good Samaritans about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same here, Mevely. You are legally liable as an individual for what you do. So, if you are a trained First Aider (First Responder) and whilst helping in an accident something goes wrong you are liable to pay compensation to the injured party. That is why at work, we found it difficult to recruit First Aiders even though we provided all the training for free.

      It's becoming the same for all sorts of volunteering.

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  4. AGAIN I say, Not sure you are real or " in Seine!" WE did giggle about catching the guy who was chasing the thief. Good job.
    Jack *Sherry over here and this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's says he's not in Seine he's in de nial

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad I made you both giggle, Jack and Sherry. Being sometimes in Seine is refreshing for everyone.

      God bless.

      Delete
    3. Yep David, it could have been in de Nile but then I'd have to save him from crocodiles.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. My comment left the building before I said so. So I wanted to say not sure if youare REAL or " in Seine!" We did smile and giggle, especially when you got the guy who was chasing the thief.
    Sherry & jack over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am for REAL all right, Jack. At least I hope so, otherwise I've been living someone else's life all this time.

      Although to be honest, I sometimes think I am a character in a book being read by a bear.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  6. We all have our strengths and weaknesses -- yours is to make us laugh, but do keep your helpful tendencies to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am at my happiest when people laugh at what I write, and say, and do. But to be honest, it did not go down well at work.

      God bless you, Barbara.

      Delete
  7. Some people say no good deed goes unpunished and sometimes I think they are right. But not often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be punished often, Mimi.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.