Sunday 7 April 2024

Doubting Thomas

 

John 20:19-31

...  Now Thomas, (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came ...

... A week later His disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then He said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

Thomas said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Then Jesus told Him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

How do you feel about that? Don't we too have our faith going up and down from time to time? Sometimes we are so sure in what, or Whom, we believe, and at other times we're confused, our head is in a spin, and we wonder what's it all about.

Before judging poor Thomas who, with the other disciples, had gone through a horrendous period seeing Jesus, their leader, arrested, tortured and crucified, let us for a while consider things from his viewpoint.

Remember, the other disciples too did not believe when the women gave them the news that Jesus had risen from the dead. So they have nothing to be congratulated for.

They were all in a trauma; until they saw Jesus with their own eyes and He showed them His wounds and spoke to them.

Unwittingly, Thomas did us all a favour. Because he did not at first believe, Jesus appeared again and the event was witnessed and written about by John. Had Thomas believed the disciples this event would not have happened and written about for us to read and believe.

A sober thought when we too sometimes hesitate in our faith. 

I believe Lord, help my unbelief.  Mark 9:24

16 comments:

  1. ...I prefer Thomas over Didymus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark 9:24 is one of my favorite (fervent) go-to prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, our pastor brought Thomas up in his wonderful message to us today. Jesus knew there would be many throughout the generations who would need Thomas to make them understand the doubts we would sometimes have on our faith journey in this life. The witness of Thomas speaks to us all.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, your pastor is right. Jesus could have appeared to the disciples at a time that Thomas was there; instead, He chose a time when Thomas was absent.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  4. You said a lot my friend and it is very well needed. And yes, I think you said a truth, we need to thank Thomas..l And you are absolutely right to remind me of this:
    I believe Lord, help my unbelief. Mark 9:24 VERY GOOD points thru out this entry. Some I have never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jack.

      The disciples were ordinary people, like us, and they had the same failings as we often do ... like Thomas, Peter and all the others who ran away in fear, and doubts.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. We don't give Thomas enough credit. He's also the disciple who said, when Jesus was set on going to Jerusalem, "Let's go, too, so we can die with him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true, Mimi. I guess his faith was like ours at times.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. "Don't be a doubting Thomas", how much have I heard that in my life? I remember thinking even as a child- as much time as he spent with the other disciples, couldn't Thomas believe them? I mean, he knew them and surely their voices combined sure have given him some understanding. Still, we can all relate to Thomas, I think. How moving is it to read the words that Jesus said to him, "Do not doubt, but believe". AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to see you visiting here, Kay. Thank you so much. Please call again soon and often.

      Let us not be too hard on Thomas, and the disciples; for they too did not believe when the women told them Jesus had risen. Those were traumatic times and they did not know what or who to believe. There was a lot of fear and false news at the time.

      And it's the same for us when we doubt. Doubt is sometimes good for us because iot makes us think, analyse, and perhaps discuss our doubts with others. That's how faith grows. Through learning and through trust.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. "When the women told them Jesus had risen" - that reminded me if a hymn. It is in the Episcopal hymnal. "The First Ones Ever To Know". I love the old Anglican hymns but this is a fairly new one, written by American woman.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Kay, I do not know this hymn. I'll search for it on You Tube.

      God bless.

      Delete
    4. The hymn ends with "And blessed is she who believes". Amen!

      Delete
    5. Amen Kay. I found it on You Tube.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.