Thursday 19 March 2020

I don't know how to pray any more!

"I don't know how to pray any more," she cried, "I've tried everything. I've said the Lord's Prayer, I've repeated 'Thy Will Be Done' many times, recited the Rosary umpteen times, lit candles, I have even promised to give more to charity and visit people in hospitals and elderly homes. The situation is too bad and I'm afraid!"

She then burst out crying uncontrollably.

I did not know what to do. When someone is in such an emotional state of mind the last thing they want to hear is pieties and platitudes. I was certainly not going to preach to her or say God loves you. I got up to the kitchen and got her a glass of water.

"Here, sip this slowly," I said, "now take one or two deep breaths and hold it for a while".

A few moments later she calmed down a little as she wiped her eyes in her handkerchief. She looked awful as her make-up had diluted in her tears and ran down her face. She'd certainly frighten a ghost with that face, I thought.

"Well," I hesitated, "at least you're still praying. It shows that you believe Someone is listening and that you're not talking to the wall!"

She smiled with a snort.

"You know," I continued hesitantly, "you cannot bargain with God. He is not interested in Rosaries or candles or promises to be good in future."

She didn't react, but appeared to be listening. So I went on.

"There is nothing we can do to repay what God did for us. He paid the price when He offered His Son as a sacrifice for us. We can thank Him time and again, but we cannot repay the debt we owe Him. And neither does He ask for it or expect it. He redeemed us and that's that. It's like you giving someone a gift and not expecting another gift of equal value or more in return. Thanks by the way for the crappy gift you gave me for my birthday!"

She laughed. At least I was making some progress. So I tried a bit more.

"You said you're afraid. That's an acceptable emotion under the circumstances. We're all afraid of something at one time or other. We pray and it seems God is not responding, or our prayers have no effect. Why not try something else?"

She raised her eyebrows and brushed her hair from her face.

"Why not tell God how you feel? Speak to Him as if you're speaking to a friend. Jesus said, 'I do not call you servants ... I call you friends, because I have told you everything I heard from my Father.' (John 15:15).

"Tell God that you're afraid about the situation at present. Just as you told me. Tell Him you don't know what is happening and what will happen. Tell Him you're afraid of the future.

"Remember, He has seen the future and will be with you there as He is with you right now. He brought you to this situation and He will see you through it.

"You're in this situation for reasons best know to God. Perhaps He is trying to teach you about yourself. Or to teach and strengthen you in how to grow your faith and trust in Him. Just like an athlete. He does not get stronger unless he exercises and gets strong. Or perhaps God is using the way you react to this situation as an example for others to follow.

"Often, how we react to traumas and difficulties is an example for others to copy and be inspired by us. What an honour for you if your behaviour turns others to follow Jesus!

"Don't be afraid. God will not put you in a situation beyond your power to resist and survive. He is not in the business of losing His followers."

She smiled weakly. I did not know whether I was saying these things for her benefit or I was just trying to convince myself. I knew I was a poor example for others and how my faith weakens at the merest problem. What a hypocrite!

"Oh ... and another thing," I said, "why not praise God for this situation?"

She looked up, her face a total confusion.

"You're not praising Him FOR the situation," I said, "but you're praising Him for still being in control of the situation. He is always in control of events. And when we praise Him we are in effect acknowledging His power and control over the situation. And often, our very act of praising Him seems to turn a bad situation for the good. Our good, or that of others. Often, we don't know how what we've been through has helped someone else. But it happens. And what a privilege for you to have been a channel through which God's Word has spread a little further.

"Now smile to show God that you trust Him really, and you know He's by your side ready to help."

She smiled. I thanked God silently for giving me the words to say. Perhaps I should replay them in my mind as a reminder that they apply to me too.

NOTE: May I recommend "Prison to Praise" by Merlin Carothers. CLICK HERE

23 comments:

  1. Powerful - Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying right now, Homemaker. Please stay safe and keep us informed of events.

    God bless and protect you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and comforting Victor. I feel as if God is working through you to speak to us at this moment. We need Him in our lives everyday but especially when we become lost in the turmoil of what is happening worldwide today.
    A touch of humor and a ton of prayers are needed now.

    God's Blessings Victor Always ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you again, Jan, for your encouragement and support. Thank you.

      I believe God is in control of this situation, as He is always in control of events. Somehow, we need to trust Him more.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. What a great thought! I'm praising Him right now!

    This brought to mind the words of a former manager: That which is taught with humor is more easily retained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us praise God for being in full control, Mevely.

      I try a bit of humour to alleviate the concerns out there.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Amazing words of comfort and hope, Victor. Yes, let us praise God for being who He is - the One in control.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Martha. I hope this situation will make people think who is Master and Creator of all.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post and so timely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gift, in words to tell a deep truth, without banging your listener over the head. This is such a good reminder that we have much to praise God for in the midst of a severe trial. Thanks again for your daily words of encouragement. I love Philippians ~ The Joy Book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind and generous in your praise, Wanda. Thank you so much. Let us all pray to God and praise Him for being in control.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. A wonderful reminder especially in these times.
    Thank you, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bill. Much appreciated.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. I've had a little talk with God. I thanked him for such a wonderful world and for allowing me to be luckier than most anyone in the last million years that has occupied it. I asked him to save less fortunate people and let them live as good a life as I have. I told him I consider myself to be very lucky for 74 years, but if he gave me a few more after taking care of others I would be grateful.

    He told me to wash my hands and we'll see.

    Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind and generous prayer, JoeH. I believe that God is allowing this to happen to remind us how fortunate we are compared to others, and also to care a little more for others. That is worth much more than many prayers and candles lit.

      Wishing you and yours well. God bless.

      Delete
  10. What Wisdom you shared with her, Victor. You were anointed of The Holy Spirit. And the book you recommended: Man, I hadn't heard that title in many years. A GREAT ONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prison to Praise is such an easy book to read. I really recommend it.

      Thanx for your kind words, Diane. God bless.

      Delete
  11. When we start worrying about the future, we always imagine the future without Him, because He's not there in our imaginary future, He is only in the real future as He knows it will happen.

    We are to give thanks in all circumstances. Not for, but in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point well made.

    God bless, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.