Sunday 22 March 2020

God's Waiting Room



I had to go for a medical check up recently. They call me every now and then to check whether my sense of humour is still intact.

I hate waiting in the waiting-room with other people, most of whom look so miserable I'm sure they wouldn't bring a smile between them at a funeral.

I fumbled through the magazines most of which are so old they might as well be written in Latin, covering such exciting subjects like Equestrian Monthly, Yachting World, and Mountaineering. Why do doctors and dentists have these types of magazines in their waiting-rooms? Looking around me, I doubt any of these people could take part in any of these activities anyway. I on the other hand ...

They have a big monitor in the waiting-room and every so often it shows your name and which room to go to. Meanwhile they show adverts for vaccinations and immunisations, medical check-ups for all sorts of illnesses, health insurance, and even old peoples' homes and funeral directors. You can't get more cheerful than that, can you?

Eventually my turn came and I went in to see the pretty young nurse. She smiled and asked me to sit down next to her and then she read off the computer monitor the results she had received from the hospital. She pointed at the screen and explained all the figures there. Cholesterol levels, sugar levels, and this and that level and so on.

She then suggested she takes my blood pressure. As she leant forward towards me to take my pulse and blood pressure I noticed that a couple of buttons on her blouse were undone. Not surprisingly, my heart beat and blood pressure were higher than normal.

One improvement the medical profession can make is not to have pretty young nurses take your blood pressure. A dragon with flaming nostrils on the other hand would frighten one so much that blood temperature would probably freeze to below zero and register no pressure at all.

But what has all this to do with the title to this article?

Well, whilst waiting in that waiting-room I wondered what it's like waiting in God's Waiting-Room.

You know ... when you are waiting there for your final diagnosis and decision.

Fumbling through whatever magazines they have there, like how to fit new wings on an Angel, or how to learn to play the harp in ten easy lessons. I bet you all the magazines will be in Latin or Aramaic. Why can't the magazines be in English? I always thought God is English. After all, all the Bibles I've read are in English, so He must be English.

Anyway, imagine sitting there in God's Waiting-Room fretting and worrying about what He will say.  Mentioning all the things we have done or omitted to do in our life on earth. All the things we've said or not said. Hurting other people. I wonder what results will show up on God's computer monitor and whether the results will be pleasing all round or not. What if His computer is wrong? But then, God is never wrong is He?

Too late to worry now. What's been done has been done and now is the time for the final reckoning. Now is the time to find out whether we are really "dead" for eternity or whether we'd be welcomed into His loving arms.

But then ... the moral of this story surely is ... just as we have plenty of opportunities now to keep our health in check and to monitor it when it is not as well as it should be. Surely now is also the time to monitor the state of our soul's health so that when we are in that Heavenly Waiting-Room we'd have no reason to worry at all.

16 comments:

  1. Love that you added humor to a very serious subject Victor.
    I am willing to bet that part of the reading material in God's waiting room will be The Bible. I also wonder if there will be a test after"words". Sorry, I couldn't help the play on words.

    Happy Sunday and God's Blessings Victor ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Jan. I try to inject some humour in my posts partly to cheer people up, (and myself too), and partly for the message to be remembered. I just hope God approves of my humour, or else I am in real trouble.

      More humour tomorrow. I hope you approve.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  2. I think God may have you stand in the corner for a time-out due to your breast peeking.

    I'll see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that JoeH. I had to breast peek. It is the male thing to do!

      Yes ... see you there! God bless you always, my friend.

      Delete
  3. Yep! We need to monitor our spiritual health just as we do our physical, maybe even more so, Victor. Like Jan, I'm impressed that you so successfully injected humor into a very serious subject. Kudos to you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha,

      Although, as you know, this is predominantly a Christian Blog, I do add some humourous articles every now and then to cheer (myself) and people up. I just hope my serious articles help someone out there.

      Thank you for being such a loyal supporter of my work, Martha. God bless always.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful idea! Meanwhile, I think those television monitors should be permanently tuned to the Comedy channel, comic books set everywhere ..... and, of course, copies of "Laugh and Pray." Covers all the bases, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Mevely. The monitors at our doctors' can be so depressing. I know they mean well, and they try to give advice and phone numbers to contact. The thing is, when people go to the doctor's it is because they are already unwell. The last thing they want to be reminded of is about other ailments that they may or may not have as well.

      I look at those monitors and wonder. Do I really have this problem or have I perhaps eaten too many beans and cabbages?

      God bless you and yours Mevely.

      Delete
  5. Humour can be one of the perfect tools to inject in to a serious message.
    Thank you, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. I'll try my best with the humour bit.

      God bless you always, Bill.

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to imagine you sitting in God's waiting room. I bet you'd really liven up the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to say this, Kathy.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Sitting in God's waiting room?

    Have you seen Beetleguse? Where the dead couple are sitting in the waiting room and their waiting number is hundreds of thousands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Susan, never seen the film. However, when they made the film I guess they did not have computers in Heaven. Now the waiting time is much reduced.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. He knows, and He forgives, and i think what He wants to know most is if we lived a life of love.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.