Tuesday 10 March 2020

Can women multi-task like pigeons?

It has long been held as a theory that women can multi-task better than men. Apparently, men cannot do two things at the same time, like walking and chewing gum, for instance. Whereas women can do two or more things at the same time quite easily.

Now I am not sure whether this is true, but I have often been in situations where a woman is sitting beside me reading the road map and at the same time telling me that I am driving too fast, too close to the car in front and to watch out for that cyclist. So it is true, I suppose, that women can read maps and check my driving at the same time.

However, there is now a new thoery by some research professors that we humans, when we attempt to multi-task, we are liable to make more mistakes than a pigeon.

Why is it, I ask myself, that there are so many scientists and professors wasting so much time researching things that are of no value at all to life as we know it. Why compare our ability to make mistakes to that of a pigeon and not, for instance, a fish or a blindfolded skunk wondering where the bad smell is coming from?

Anyway, as it happens some scientists have discovered that we make more mistakes than pigeons. For instance, if we were writing an e-mail or typing on a computer and someone speaks to us and we engage in conversation we are more liable, than not, to make mistakes in what we are typing.

In comparison, a pigeon could be on the ground foraging for food or gathering small twigs to make a nest yet at the same time he, or she, is able to keep watch for any predators and listen to any sounds which might spell danger, like a cat lurking in the grass.

Scientists admit, however, that pigeons are unable to send e-mails or texts and engage in conversation or cooing at the same time. Thus proving that their research was not only a waste of their time but that of the pigeons as well. After hours of having several pigeons sitting on keyboards the scientists had nothing to show for it other than keyboards covered with pigeon droppings ingrained in between the keys.

They released the pigeons in the wild before releasing their news releases proclaiming their discoveries.

Which goes to prove that we should never under-estimate the intelligence of a pigeon. They all agreed not to type one word with the keyboard but to make a more obvious statement instead.

20 comments:

  1. Stupidest bird there is! I often watch one eating a piece of bread. He picks it up and shakes it until the piece is thrown several feet to another waiting bird and is left with only the smallest crumb. I yell at them "Step on the damn piece of bread you stupid bird!" They never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, JoeH. They are stupid. And I've seen them do as you describe.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. one should not under-estimate the intelligence of a pigeon, or over-estimate the intelligence of those approving the budget to carry out the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even estimate how many pigeons are needed for a pigeon pie. Do people still make pigeon pies? Are pigeons edible? I mean, are they still widely eaten by humans?

      God bless, Ryan.

      Delete
  3. A blindfolded skunk? LOL!
    I used to pride myself on multi-tasking; nowadays I have to turn down my car radio to see better.

    PS - Thanks for the link to yesterday's painting. Disturbing, but interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multi-tasking can be difficult, Mevely. No doubt the painter of yesterday's painting was well distracted whilst painting it. I wonder how many models he used?

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. I'm a woman, but I can't multi-task successfully. And this is a perfect example, Victor, how so-called scientists get these crazy grants to study things that mean nothing to anyone. What a waste of money!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it in one, Martha. Often on TV we are told that certain scientists and universities have received grants for some meaningless research or other. A waste of money and human ingenuity.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  5. I think I can multitask pretty good. Women have to be able to if you have a couple of toddlers running around! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I multitask but sometimes I forget what I am doing, I get sidetracked easily. Whatever it was that I forgot, eventually it comes back to me and I'll finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Bill. I guess men multi-task one task at a time.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. caregivers must multitask. Charting weight, blood pressure, BM's (ugg) salt intake, numerous medications taking at different times...Goodness...Think I'll just sit down and watch the pigeons outside my window!! haha. I do think in all fairness...God put multitasking in women's DNA cause He knew we'd need it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes it amazes me how women can multi-task so easily.

      God bless you, Wanda.

      Delete
  8. Multitasking. Oh yes, I try not to, it's not a good way to live life, but sometimes it's inevitable. I do remember an evening over 25 years ago getting ready to go out somewhere as a family. I had my four daughters in the bathroom with me as I applied my mascara staring into the mirror also feeding my baby girl, and giving two different spelling tests to two different grade daughters sitting contentedly on the floor with their notepads and pencils, all that at the same time (we homeschooled). So there ya go? We moms just have to do what we have to do! *big smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Amelia. To be a mom is to multi-task.

      God bless you and your family always.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy your posts, and I enjoy the comments too.

    "Do people still make pigeon pies?"
    I've never eaten a pigeon pie but I think some may do … apparently it's popular in the TV programme 'Game of Thrones'

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_pie

    https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Pigeon_pie

    Now do I multi-task?
    I do try to, but with mixed results. LOL!

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I had read somewhere that in olden days people ate pigeon pies. Now we seem to treat pigeons like vermin and I guess people would hesitate eating them. I've never eaten any, but I guess they are no different to other birds like ducks, I suppose. Presumably, for different reasons, people do not eat rabbit. I have eaten rabbit often in the past. These days they are not easy to find in supermarkets.

      God bless, Jan

      Delete
  10. Pigeons at least make sturdier nests than doves. Those are dumb enough to make nests that fall apart, landing the babies in my yard and i have to take them to the wildlife hospital to be raised and released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that. I thought both birds would behave the same.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.