Tuesday 17 March 2020

Electrifying

I went to the computer room a few days ago and switched on the lights. No light came on. I tried the switch on and off a few times ... click ... click ... still no light. Amazing how we take things for granted until they work no more. We get in the car and it starts first time, put the kettle on and the water boils, put bread in the toaster and it works properly, switch on the computer and it says, "System Error ... why don't you learn about computing you lazy beggar?"

Now I could write a whole post about taking things for granted. How we take each other for granted. How we even often take God for granted.

But I won't; because it was too dark in the computer room and I could not get to the computer without stubbing my foot against something.

I thought the light bulb must have died so I got another one to replace it; and I stubbed my toe against the chair as I got in the room in the dark.

Click ... click ... still no light.

OK ... try another light bulb, and this time wear some shoes. I hit my knee against the computer desk.

Click ... click ... still no light.

So I tried the three light bulbs in another room. They all worked OK.

Must be the switch that is faulty. That's one step too far for me. I was absent at University when they taught us how to change faulty switches.

I rang no fewer than thirteen electricians.

You notice I said no fewer; and not no less. That's because no fewer is the correct grammatical way of saying it. I did attend that University lesson.

Anyway, all electricians were busy, except the last one I phoned who agreed to attend within the hour. It is always the last one you phone who can attend; isn't it? Why couldn't one of the others attend? They would have been the last one much earlier!

The electrician tried the switch a few times ... click ... click ... no light. That's because there was no light bulb anyway. So he put a light bulb ... click ... click ... still no light. Another light bulb ... still no light.

"Must be a faulty switch!" he said. He'd obviously attended that particular University lesson about identifying whether the switch is faulty.

"I'll need to change the switch!" he said, "only I haven't got one."

Can you imagine? An electrician with a van full of all sorts of equipment and wires and electrical type things; but no switch. He must have missed that lesson I suppose.

I remembered I had a spare switch in the garage in a tool box somewhere. He said it would fit perfectly as a replacement and offered to buy it from me for £2.

"Why?" I asked.

"So I can fit it in your room," he said, "and it'll save me having to go to the store and buy a switch for you!"

"But why not fit my switch, which you said is OK, for free? Just charge me for your time to do the job!" I said.

"Can't do that," he replied, "it says here on the invoice I have to give you, 'Parts', that's the price of the parts I use, that's the switch. And 'Labour', that's the cost of my time to do the job. Then I add both for 'Total'. So I can't give you an invoice with 'Labour' only. How can I do any job without parts, like the switch, or wires and so on?"

I was too tired to argue and I needed the lights on to write this Blog post for you. So I sold him my switch for £2 as agreed.

Half an hour later he'd finished the job.

He gave me an invoice which said 'Parts' £10 and 'Labour' £25; TOTAL £35.

"Why did you charge me £10 for the switch which you bought from me for £2?" I asked.

"Because that's the price I would have paid at the store!" he replied, looking at me as if I'm an idiot.

"But you did not go to the store," I protested, "I saved you the drive, and the cost of gas getting there, and the travelling time which would not have been included in the invoice. So if anything I saved you a lot of money by selling you the switch which I was prepared to give you for free to start with, because it was mine anyway!"

He said, "Sorry mate. The normal invoice for this kind of work is £10 for the switch, and £25 for my time to do the work. You should not have sold me the switch for £2. You should have insisted on £10!"

As I said, I was too tired to argue. I gave him the £35.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Do not take logic for granted.

More important - do not take God for granted.

20 comments:

  1. It is so easy to take things for granted. Our health for one. Until it is stripped away or we have an accident (as I did on my bike a couple of years ago). Good point today Victor, especially with the current crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally about what you say here, Bill. Especially about health.

      Also, sadly, people have been taking God for granted over the years. He is only there as an insurance policy when they need help.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  2. Agree on both accounts... and next time I would probably skip the number of that electrician!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, Ryan, he was the last one I phoned. I stopped phoning others after that because I did not want two or three electricians attending; especially since I only had one spare switch to sell. Perhaps I could have started an auction!

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  3. Nice example, great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, indeed, the blessings we take for granted. I could quip, "Who ya gonna trust?" … but you and I already know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Mevely. We know the answer; and I shall write about that tomorrow.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  5. Way too easy to take things for granted, Victor, and God should never be one of them! Let us be thankful for Him and His love each and every day, and spread the light of Jesus into the world.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Martha. We need not just trust Him; but show others that we do.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Good lesson. Another is, be careful what electrician you call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we do take many things for granted. But never your classic stories. They are to be read and re-read and enjoyed.
    My Dad was a "fix it" man, and could fix anything. My mom used to complain she never got anything new, cause dad would fix the old. I think we must have taken him for granted sometimes. But God...oh my heart breaks when I realize I've done just that. We are on Lock Down at the Villa..so I will have a little more time to blog and visit blog friends. Stay healthy an safe, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story, Wanda. And thanx for saying you like my stories. You can read some of them FREE from www.holyvisions.co.uk

      Praying for you and your family. May the Lord protect us all from the current world situation.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Crazy! Sure glad Ken can fix just about anything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's crazy. I should have had a more expensive spare switch.

      God bless you and Ken, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. No one can take God for granted...He is to smart for that
    God can't be used.He always has the last word 💮
    But be comforted Victor. One of these days that electrician will have to meet God face-to-face :)

    God Bless you my Friend ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Jan, many people take God for granted, and forget Him until they need help.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Good Morning, Victor! You drove your point home brilliantly! It was like a lightbulb moment. he-he

    Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fro your kind words Diane.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.