Wednesday 17 November 2021

Ink Blots

 

I went to see a psychiatrist the other day ...

Now, before you all jump at the wrong conclusion and think that I need certifying; let me explain. A colleague at work is married to a psychiatrist. She said that anyone who thinks he does not need to visit a psychiatrist should have his head examined.

Anyway, she needed to go and see her husband at his practice because he forgot his book, "A to Z of Phobias", which he needs when meeting his patients in his insulting room.

It's a wonderful book. Each page has a big letter of the alphabet, a picture, and an explanation about it.

A = Arachnophobia

The fear of crawly creepy spiders which can run towards you and attack you without warning.

B = Bananaphobia

The fear of bouncing big bananas which can bounce towards you and attack you without warning.

There is also C = Chocolatephobia, and so on all the way to Z. 

Since my colleague was busy finishing a report she was writing, I volunteered to take the book to her husband. 

When I got there, his receptionist would not let me in without an appointment. I explained I was only delivering a book. She insisted on an appointment. I made an appointment for five minutes' time. She kept me waiting for five minutes then let me in his insulting room.

As soon as I got in, he asked me to lie down on the couch. I asked him why. He replied, "I want to vacuum clean the room and you're standing in my way!"

I laid down on the couch. He asked me why I came to see him. I explained that I was delivering his book. He asked me why I stole it. 

"I used to be a kleptomaniac," he said, "I took something for it!"

I explained patiently that I was delivering his book on behalf of his wife who works for me. He asked me to look at some ink spots, or blots, and to say what I saw in them. To humour him, I looked at the first piece of paper and said:

"I see two distressed dolphins arguing because the husband dolphin has lost his job at the sea-side marina because nobody wants to swim with him because he has bad body odour; and the wife dolphin is concerned that they may be thrown out of the marina and they will have to swim freely in the ocean away from all the tourists who come to see them. The sea-side marina could then well close down because of lack of tourists and no income. And it's all because the husband dolphin insists on eating garlic with everything and breathe his body odour over the tourists!"

He raised his eyebrows in amazement. "Do you really see all this in these stains?" he asked.

"Of course," I replied in a straight face.

"Funny," he said, "I accidentally spilt some coffee on this sheet of paper this morning; and wondered what it all meant!"

He then asked me, "Just a question, another little test ... you know the earth spins round one revolution every day. That's why we have daylight with the sun, and night time. What would happen, do you think, if the earth stopped spinning?"

I looked him straight in the face and said, "all the moths would fly to the side that is lit up!"

"Do you have difficulty concentrating?" he asked me.

At that very moment a penguin entered the insulting room and stood behind him.

"Of course not," I replied, "I can concentrate as well as ... there's a penguin!"

"Where?" he asked.

"It's behind you!" I said.

"I don't believe you!" he insisted.

"It's either a large penguin or a small nun!" I insisted even more.

"Oh ... she's been coming here for a while," he said, "she read my book ... P = Penguinphobia. The fear of imagining you are a penguin."

I gave her a packet of fish sticks I'd just bought on my way in and left as quickly as I could.

23 comments:

  1. Dearest Victor,
    Guess such a person needs to get handed some more books to read!
    Phobias is a nice way of inventing a lot of nonsense.
    At present times however, a lot of people are depressed due to the bad economy and all restrictions of personal freedom... Wonder what's in 'their' books about that!
    Let's hope the Good in this world will win from the evil with God's help!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let us pray for God's guidance and protection.

      God bless you and your family, Mariette.

      Delete
  2. ...some people need "A to Z of Phobias" to understand themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an overwhelming fear of the alphabets.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Fun read. I liked 'The insulting room' but then you said: "I used to be a kleptomaniac," he said, "I took something for it!"........
    That would not leave my head thru the rest of the post. LOL My head need to be examined. LOL
    Thanks for the entertainment
    Sherry & jack laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear you laughing, Jack. I have succeeded. Thank you so much for writing in.

      I hope you're enjoying your holiday.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. I never realized that there were so many strange phobias. I was afraid of that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so afraid of phobias; I fear I might get one. I've been told I'm phobiaphobic.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanx Martha. Glad you enjoyed this post.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I chuckled all the through! And it felt so good ... thank you, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear my readers chuckling, Mevely. It does you good and it helps my ego too.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. Old joke on the ink blot thing:

    "Tell me sir, what do you see?"
    "I see two people having wild sex."
    "Hmm, and this one?"
    "Again two people having wild sex in a different position."
    "Hmm, you seem to have a one track mind."
    "Me! you're the one with all the dirty pictures!"
    bud um bum.

    I liked the one with the moths going to the lit side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one, JoeH. I should have used it in my story. Thanx.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like the secretary who won't let you just drop off a book without an appointment is the one who needs her head examined.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend who sees a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a regular GP, just to help him sort out all the demons in his head. He is stable for ten years now but still has childhood issues that need to be worked out. He often says to me Dr.... said exactly what you used to tell me. Maybe I should have been a psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for your friend, River.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. He recently confessed to me that he has started praying again.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.