Thursday 4 November 2021

Unexpected Correspondence

 

Father Ignatius was enjoying breakfast when Father Donald came in holding a letter.

“Only one for you today … and it’s from the USA judging by the stamp.”

Father Ignatius frowned, “I don’t know anyone in the States …” he mumbled.

Father Donald chuckled as he poured himself a cup of tea. “Maybe it’s from Hollywood. They probably want to make a film about you …”

The older priest was not amused. He opened the letter and read:

“Dear Father Ignatius,

“You’d be surprised how long it took me to trace you down. I contacted almost every bishop in England. I hope this letter finally reaches you.

“I’m Johnny Nottingham. Do you remember me?”

Father Ignatius mumbled … “Johnny Nottingham …”

“What was that?” asked his fellow priest.

“Johnny Nottingham …” repeated Father Ignatius, “a young rascal I knew years ago when I first became a priest. He was always in trouble … I warned him that one day he’d end up in prison, or at the very least have a police record … eventually, he met up with a young girl named Florence and I married them … they left town soon afterwards in a hurry and I’ve never heard of them since …”

“What does he want?” asked Father Donald.

“You’ll never believe this … he emigrated to the States years ago and has become a successful businessman. He is still with Florence and will soon celebrate their Silver Wedding Anniversary … doesn’t time fly? He has invited me there … he insists I come … let me read this bit …

“I mean it Father. You have been a great influence on my life and we would really love to have you visit us for our celebration. All expenses paid. Just say the word and I’ll get the plane ticket rushed to you.”

“Sounds marvellous …” said Father Donald enthusiastically.

“No way … America is such a long way away … I’ll reply politely and decline.”

But Father Donald would not hear of it. He insisted his fellow priest took up the offer.

“It’s only for a week Ignatius,” he chuckled, “not enough time for me to sell your church and run away with the money … I promise you the church will still be here when you return …”

Father Donald can be quite persuasive when he puts his mind to it, and weeks later Father Ignatius was on his way to New York.

He was met at the airport by a chauffeur driven luxury car and was taken to one of the best hotels in the city. In his room there was a large basket of fruits welcoming him to New York signed by the Nottinghams.

That afternoon, the chauffeur took him to the Nottingham’s magnificent mansion where he met Johnny and Florence and their children and grand-children.

They looked after him all week and took him to many tourist places of interest, including a baseball game one evening.

“I never understood a thing about it,” joked the priest, “but I enjoyed it all the same”.

Towards the end of his stay, on a Saturday, Father Ignatius took part in the renewal of their marriage vows, together with their priest, in the church the Nottinghams regularly attended.

As an added surprise, which he knew nothing about, he was asked to baptise at the same time the Nottingham’s latest grand-child; named Ignatius after him.

On his way back on the plane, tears of gratitude welled up in his eyes as he remembered a life which started as if headed for disaster yet somehow, along the way, turned a reckless man into a successful Christian businessman.

“Praise you Lord,” he mumbled as he closed his eyes in prayer.

27 comments:

  1. ...some paths in life are not straight and narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's ways are not our ways. We may expect things to turn according to our understanding but God has His own plan.
    This is a moving story I read with tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed this story, Ladka. More short stories in book form can be downloaded FREE from www.holyvisions.co.uk

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the heartwarming story to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always I enjoyed the read/story. FAther Ignatius is easing into our lives. Oh and I am enjoying 'To Love a Priest', also good stuff so far.
    Love from over here.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack for purchasing "To Love A Priest". I found this a very difficult book to write as it conflicts so much with Catholic Church teaching.

      I'd love to hear your views of this book.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Like Kathy said, this is a really heartwarming tale! Just goes to show, we can't predict others' outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's outcomes are not our wished for outcomes, Mevely.

      I'm so glad you liked this story.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Another marvelous reread for me, Victor.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha for your constant loyalty to my writings.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    Such gratitude is very graceful and will warm the receiver's heart till the very end!
    One never knows what influence such early teaching, being it religious or else, will have on a young person's entire life.
    We have met with such rascals and we were delighted that decades later, they turned out very well. We both have been amazed at how much certain words from our mouth had quite an impact on their lives.
    Great story.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true Mariette; I remember meeting young people years later, I did not recognise them, they recognised me and they turned out to be very good citizens.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. You never know what kind of impact you can have on other people. Each one of us will never know that answer. Be a good example and spread the kindness and love that God showed us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be a good example to others. You are so right, Bill; and so true.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. The moral to this story is to be careful what you say to others, because sometimes they may be really listening. Such a sweet story and I love happy endings. My favorite saying is “Speak kind words and you will hear kind echoes.
    Thanks, Victor. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in this story, the priest's words seem to have had a good effect on the young man.

      God bless, Nells.

      Delete
  10. A lovely story with a happy ending. Goes to show that we can have aa influence on other lives that we may no nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always an example, (good or bad), and an influence on other people, perhaps without knowing.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  11. We never know where our prayers may lead others, that's why i keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, prayers do work often, Mimi.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful story...except for the poor Grandchild named Ignatius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An excellent example of how not everyone stays on the wrong path they began with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some people do change for the good.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.