Thursday 11 November 2021

The Italian Experience

 

Father Ignatius spent the early years of his priesthood in Rome, so he was quite fluent in Italian, although he had no opportunity to use his linguistic skills in St Vincent Parish. Until last week that is.

One of his parishioners, a wealthy businessman, invited him to a new Italian restaurant for lunch and to discuss the proposal to refurbish the church hall and Parish house.

It was a nice little restaurant beautifully decorated in Italian style resembling a typical fisherman’s cottage you’d find in Naples. Although the menu was mostly fish, you could still order a nice pizza or your favourite spaghetti or ravioli.

“We’ve refurbished and decorated this place” said the proud businessman as they sat at a table near the window.

“It’s beautiful” said Father Ignatius, “I hope you won’t decorate the church hall in the same style though …”

And so the conversation progressed throughout a lovely meal with the sound of Italian music playing softly in the background through hidden speakers. The priest recognized Domenico Modugno singing Volare and Mario Lanza’s version of Torna Sorriento. It took him back to happy times spent in Rome and Turin.

But that was not the only Italian that reached his ears that day. He noticed that from time to time the efficient waiters spoke to each other in their native language and commented on the customers sitting at table. Sometimes their comments were quite complimentary and pleasant, whereas at times they were quite rude and certainly inappropriate in his presence … if only they knew!

At one point he heard them speak about him.

“That man at table six is a priest,” said a waiter to another, “how can he afford to eat here? I thought priests were meant to be poor …”

“Don’t you recognize who’s with him?” replied the second waiter, “he’s the contractor who decorated this place. I bet he’s paying … you’ll see …”

“Just as well …” said the first waiter, “the priest looks poorer than a church mouse. I bet he hasn’t a penny on him …”

Father Ignatius smiled at himself and said nothing; except continue his conversation with his host.

When the meal was over, and just as they were leaving, Father Ignatius turned to the two waiters and said in Italian, “Grazie molto. Arrivederci.”

Three simple words, uttered in perfect accent, which spoke volumes to those they were addressed to. You should have seen their faces!

24 comments:

  1. ...this reminds me of two of my customers years ago who were speaking in their native tongue. One of my employees was helping them and understood what they said, when they left, my employee said goodbye in their native tongue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People often think that because they speak in a foreign language no one will understand them.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Gives a whole new meaning to talking behind someone's back, Victor. I'll bet those waiters were surprised by the good priest.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This actually happened to me in a restaurant, Martha. They were speaking in Italian and I understood what they were saying.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. I once used the two words of Chinese I knew when interacting with a store clerk. I could tell she was surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of us know one or two words of languages other than our native language, but I and many others wish I was fluent in at least one other language. They taught FRENCH in our southern high schools Now that I am grown I WONDER WHY? The closest French speakers are in Canada, Spanish is the closest.
    I wish I understood it.
    Good post with a great meaning...
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cann speek zee Engleesh in a French accent, Monsieur Jack. But I cannot speek zee French in an Engleesh accent. Purquoi eez zat do you think? Also, I like zee Engleesh fishes and chips wiz a good French wine.

      Cheers to you and Sherry. God bless.

      Delete
  5. Watch what you say because you never know who's around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once I was hospitalized and waiting to have a surgery I would knit to make time pass. I ran short of one colour and was directed to a lady that also knitted. But she could only speak Albanian and I Slovenian (this was in Slovenia). My Albanian friend had taught me three sentences in Albanian. So I approached this lady who was seriously ill and very isolated because of the language barrier. I greeted her and asked her "How do you do" in Albanian. I can't forget her expression when she heard my greeting in her mother tongue in a foreign country, and being very ill and isolated in addition. I wished my friend had taught me some more of her language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly helped that person who must have felt very lonely on that day. Thank you Ladka.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Good story and an even better LESSON to those two waiters!
    Indeed, one never knows who understands.
    In Indonesia, Pieter and I took once a group of mute and deaf children out to a restaurant, as a special treat. They all read lips and can talk. BUT some youngsters, standing behind me, were making quite some fun of them. So I let it go till I thought, enough is enough. Then I turned around and looked them in the eyes and told them firmly: Go to hell! Yep, it is not my usual 'talk' but I have learned to learn always some very strong sentences, in case you ever need them. Those youngsters FROZE and behaved very well from then on.
    In Italy I had such an instance myself in the very beginning where someone at the post office pulled my little purse away. It was a male and he laughed and had such fun at doing this. I was literally at a LOSS for words, as my. Italian was not yet sufficient. One of my colleagues taught me a life's lesson and said, whenever you're in such a similar situation, reply very strongly in your mother tongue. Even if they can't understand you, they will feel your intent!
    But learning some strong sentences also worked well.
    Ladka gave a very sweet example and yes, it can mean the world to some people that are very ill and being away from their culture and family...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two very good examples where you used your language skills as best you could, Mariette. IT helps to know another language.

      Thank you so much for your lovely customer review of my book "Murder in the Monastery" on AMAZON.

      God bless always.

      Delete
    2. You're more than welcome Victor; well deserved! So glad it went through...!

      Delete
  9. Oh to have seen their faces.
    I have a friend with a similar story only in German. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always helps to know another language.

      God bless you, Happyone.

      Delete
  10. What a cute story ... made better, learning this actually happened to you! I always feel paranoid when going to a nail salon whose techs are VietNamese and giggle, chatting between one another. Oh, what I'd give to be able to speak a few lines and watch their faces.

    PS - When I was working at the resort and the housekeeping staff (largely Hispanic) would talk among themselves in Spanish in front of others my boss would become so irate -- and tell them how RUDE their behavior was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this happened to me in a London restaurant. I would have thought that the waiters there would have realised that London is full of tourists and that sooner or later someone is bound to understand them. They just did not care. Thankfully, they did not talk about me or my business guests.

      As you say, it is rude to speak another language when some people around do not understand.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  11. Such stories abound. Never assume that others do not speak your language, and remember that G-d understands it even if others do not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha Ha! Well done father Ignatius. I remember a similar scene in a movie I once saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, must have happened many times. Yet people still believe others don't understand their language.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.