Monday 22 November 2021

John 6

OK folks! This is going to be a little controversial and no doubt confusing. But it is Biblical. You can find it in John's Gospel.

John Chapter 6 has been the source of much debate and confusion over the years. Jesus said something that not only baffled His audience at the time; but he re-iterated what He said to make sure it is understood.

I speak of course of the part in that Chapter where Jesus says He is "the Bread of life" and later when He says that unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life.

As you can imagine, this was very upsetting to His listeners; even His followers and disciples.

I guess they said to each other, "What is He on about? How can we eat His flesh and drink His blood? This is cannibalism surely. This is too much for us. We don't want to follow this guy any longer!"

Some of them got up and left. So what did Jesus do?

He didn't say, "Hey ... wait a minute. You didn't understand what I meant. This is what I really meant to say ... let me explain!"

No; Jesus let them go. He didn't try to justify Himself or what He had just said. It was as if He dissolved the unspoken contract between them. They could not accept a certain clause so He let them go.

Then He turned to His disciples and asked, "How about you? Do you want to go as well?"

As ever, Peter was first to answer, "To whom shall we go?" he asked. "We're in this for the duration, all the way, to the end". Or words to that effect, signifying the he trusted Jesus without question; albeit no doubt he had many questions in his mind. 

Peter accepted Christ's words without question and stepped out in blind Faith and dared to believe.

So what are we to make of all this after all these years? Did Jesus mean what He said literally or was it all symbolism and imagery using common day articles of the time like bread and wine to signify the sacrifice He is to endure for us? His flesh would be torn by the beating and the nailing to the Cross and His blood would be spilled for us. Was it all symbolism?

Catholics believe that the total substance of bread and wine are changed into the substance of the body and blood of Christ at the moment of consecration during Mass. 

That is to say, the bread and wine that Catholics take at Communion are no longer such but they are the body and blood of Christ. 

I discussed this with a priest some time ago and he explained that this is Catholic dogma and that Catholics are "invited" to believe it is so. He admitted that some do not believe so and believe it was all symbolism.

So, where do we stand all these years after Jesus proclaimed clearly this saying?

Quite frankly, I'm with Peter on this.

I don't believe there is much to be gained in debating this ad-infinitum. The fact remains that it is recorded in the Bible that Jesus said this emphatically, and He repeated it at the Last Supper.

So I am minded to accept it for what it is. Something that Jesus said and we're to believe it as best we humanly can.

It's obvious that many will find this difficult to understand, but then, Jesus does not ask us to understand Him. He asks us to trust Him without any evidence whatsoever.

By the way: you may wish to visit this link and see what happened to a priest who had difficulties in believing. CLICK HERE.

30 comments:

  1. "To whom shall we go?"

    Exactly how I feel.

    That said, I do have difficulty understanding this.

    Trust. There's that word again.

    I'm scared to read about Priest, but here goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you say, Sandi. Often, we cannot comprehend what Jesus/God says to us; but we should trust all the same. People like Abraham, Moses, the disciples and many others had similar experiences.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Victor, Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, so actually eating the body is 'eating' the ( taking it in ). I believe that, as the scriptures say that the "life" is in the blood, that we have eternal life through becoming the body of Christ on earth, and His 'blood" ( eternal life ) will be inside of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying.

      By the way, I can no longer reach your Blog - faulty connection somewhere.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  3. It might have been the internet problem that my husband has fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope ... still does not work. Click on your name above and see what happens. Make sure you are NOT logged into Blogger at the time.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Hi Victor, for some reason it is only happening on your blog.If you want to go to my blog, try going over to Sandi's blog and pressing on my comment.

      Delete
    3. That is very odd. It links from Sandi's Blog.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  4. As one famous follower said, "Lord I believe, help thou mine unbelief." My version is, "Lord I believe help thou my understanding."
    I have a good friend who was raised Baptist in North Carolina and converted at marriage. For years he served communion for his priest in Lancaster, Pennsylvania to the several shut-ins who were unable to attend services. He explained to me that the wine and bread were NOT ALLOWED to be returned to earthly containers. All I can say is I do believe the WORD.
    As always I appreciate your handling of the TOUGH parts of our FAITH. I am always open to learn. God is good.
    Love from over here in the rain, son calls it liquid sunshine. ;-)

    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your explanation, Jack. As you say, we need to believe the Word, even if we don't understand it.

      If there are any other points of faith you'd like me to tackle on my Blog please let me know. I'm at enquiries@holyvisions.co.uk - see CONTACT link above right.

      Enjoy the liquid sunshine. Here we've had rain but no sunshine - just grey.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  5. It is what it is. Either you believe and trust or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always leaned a bit on the side of symbolism -- but realize that's a word we (humans) use to define, to describe. Now I'm thinking, no. That would be reducing Jesus, bringing him down to our level. Help my unbelief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I feel that as humans, we cannot choose which things Jesus said to believe, and which things we do not. Either we believe Him totally or we do not follow Him at all.

      I may not understand what He meant, but I believe Him.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    We, little humans will never fully grasp this but that is why it is called Faith!
    Nurturing our soul is very important!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Mariette. Faith is believing even when our common sense tells us not to.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  8. It is quite simple , either you believe and trust or you do not. Wonderful and informative. Thank you. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nells. I choose to believe and trust.

      Best wishes. God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  9. Just as Jesus said he was The Door and The Gate, He is The Bread of Life. To me, it is a symbol of partaking in His life.

    Those who wish to take it more literally may do so, i think He has room for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life." This is fine for Catholics who go to Mass and participate in the ritual. Other religions don't do this and many more people don't even go to church, yet we all have life. So is Jesus referring to life on earth or everlasting life in heaven? Because other religions also say we shall go to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each person will want to interpret what Jesus said as they wish to believe.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  11. Hi Victor,
    your comment is showing in my stats but is not showing up on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I've just discovered the problem. My chair was leaning on the computer cable and the messages were piling up in the cable rather than going to your Blog.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.