Tuesday 5 April 2022

What's in a name?

 

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" said Shakespeare. But then, he never had a skunk called Rose did he? 

Choosing a name for a child or a pet should be a well thought-out procedure. Don't go for the first thing that comes to mind.

Some people name their children the most thoughtless, and sometimes cruel, of names. Like the girl I knew whom we called at college Cris. It was short for something, but we did not know or care what it was. To us she was Cris Lear.

On graduation day they call your full name when you come on stage to collect your certificate. Her full name was Crystal Shandy Lear. What sort of warped idiotic parents did she have?

Other people name their children after the names of their favourite celebrities, or after the names of all the players in their favourite football team. Or name their children after the place where they were conceived ?????? 

I knew someone called In The Car Park Behind KFC.

Naming pets can be just as troublesome if you don't choose properly. Years ago we had a small dog. I wanted to call him something macho to give him confidence, and to give me confidence too that I had a strong dog, even though I didn't. So I called him Shark. It was not a good idea when he ran loose on the beach and I ran after him calling his name.

An old man living near us, when we lived in London, one day had a small dog. I saw it in his garden. He must have called it Help because all day I heard him shout "Help ... Help ... Help ..." After an hour or so he must have found it because he stopped shouting. That afternoon there was an ambulance outside his house. I never found out why. Perhaps the dog was ill.

What has brought all this on, you may well ask. Well, the thing is we have a dog and a cat which have been named. The dog is called Sit. He gets confused when I call him, "Come here, Sit!" The cat has any name you care to call him because he doesn't listen anyway. The tortoise is called Speedy for obvious reasons and the rabbit  ... well ... I wanted to call him Tasty but I was over-ruled. He is called Bob.

Now the family want to name the fish and the frogs in our pond. I suggested Fish 1, Fish 2, Fish 3 and so on. And the same for the frogs ... 1, 2, 3, and so on up to 100 if you count the tadpoles too. What do you call those swimming creatures that become frogs? Tadpoles or newts? I call them Fish Food, because presumably fish eat them. 

Anyway, I suggested we call the fish and the frogs in numerical order. I was over-ruled once more because the family want to distinguish each creature individually so as not to give them an inferiority or an individuality complex. You know ... it's like when you have twin children you should not dress them the same and smother their individuality. I used to hate wearing my twin sister's clothes!

So there you have it; the family want to name each fish and frog individually. 

When I was young my parents called me "Hey you ..." and "Be Quiet". For the first few months as a baby they encouraged me to say my first word and then they called me "Shut Up".

My first words as a baby when I saw the world around me were, "Is that it?"

28 comments:

  1. Yes! First two things came to mind..
    If l ever have a dog..which l would'nt
    l'd call it Stay..Sit/Stay Sit/Stay..
    And a fellow pupil at school...surname
    Bennet..christian name Gordon...! :).

    Believe it or not l have three names..
    English legal name, starting with William,
    and my stage name and still very much in use
    Willie Wine..and my Sicilian name Gugliemo
    Piazza, and still used among my Sicilian family...!
    Been called Willie all my life though..
    I 'DO NOT' answer to the nickname of the 'B' word..! :(.
    You see..l won't even write it..! :(

    I was an only child..only girl in the family..HaHa! :)
    Sicilian Mum's are supposed to know the sex of their
    baby before there born..she thought l would be a girl,
    mia Mama got everything ready in pink..skirts, dresses,
    coats, shoes etc...
    Then along came 10lb 10oz Willie..! So l was dressed
    in pink for the next 12~14 months of my life, all the
    old B/W photos of course are in B/W, and not pink...!
    Hence my obsession with pink..! :O).
    🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷 🐷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered why you like pink.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...in the Hawaiian culture names have meaning. Today parents seem to be giving their children designer names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true. Fancy names for a fancy generation.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    Guess the old fashioned and Christian way of honoring a Grandparent or including a Godparent in a name was not bad at all!
    Oh, I've noticed waves of names suddenly being used after a famous movie star or whatever. Still the Golden Calf idea from the Bible...
    People worship each other or sports or cars.
    Love the meaning of your name as Victor: Victorious;Conqueror...
    My name means:pearl; bitterness/sea; desired child.
    So that adds meaning to it and I'm named after my Maternal Grand/Godmother and my Paternal Grandfather.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariette is a lovely name. I did not know what it meant. Today's generation are less careful in choosing nice meaningful names for their children. A name can define a person.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. 💞 To me a name is something sacred, given by your Parents. NOT a fashion fad...

      Delete
  4. I was an adult before I learned my dad was named for Frank James and his brother next in line was named for Jessie. They both did well. But a kid in GAstonia, NC was named Jessie James------, was always in jail, living up to his name, true.
    WE Enjoyed the visit.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in a name, isn't it. It can make of break a person.

      So glad to see you visiting here again, Jack. God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Any new person that started working, we all called him the "new guy". That's the only name I knew him by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "New Guy" that's a good name I suppose. How long before he was called by his real name; John Newby?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. When you think you've decided on a good name for your child, go outside and yell that name really loud 10 times, because that's how you are going to hear it for the next 18 years. If you still like it, use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point well made. You can imagine me shouting my dog's name in the street, "Shark ... Shark ... Shark ..."

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  7. Ha! Ever since my teen years -- when I wrote a term paper about the origin of names -- I've been fascinated by (that) process. Have you noticed, how certain names are telling as to one's age? For instance, my classrooms' rosters included many named Patty, Cathy, Susan, Barbara (etc). After the blockbuster 'Love Story' a whole new generation of Jennifer's came about. 'Still scratching my head at the crazy-odd names the celebs bestow on their offspring, but must admit I'm becoming more de-sensitized every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Mevely. Some names are in fashion at certain times or periods in history. In the UK you don't find many Hermoines, Agathas or Hortences these days. They belong to a different era. In these days people tend to name their children something fancy just to show off. Especially posh brand names. Like Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Cardin and so on. Who would like a child called Ikea?

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Victor, I know it's written in jest, but your first words as a babe are so fatalistic. I'm reminded of Peggy Lee's song, "Is That All There Is." As Christ followers, we know we have everything to hope for and everything to live for. There are too many humans who will settle for what they've been told and not what the Lord has revealed if they are only willing to open their eyes and their hearts.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Martha. We should aspire in life to follow in His ways.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. I got my Nickname (byline) from a young lady I worked with years ago. I love the name and, as you know, I still use it. She shortened Nellie to Nells, because she said I’m am definitely touch as nails. I guess there is some importance to names. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nells, names can, and often do, define a person. They subconsciously try to live up to the name they have been given. Names are important.

      God bless you always, Nells.

      Delete
  10. Names are important and while striving for individuality we should also be careful not to be too outlandish. Names have been decided for my twin grand daughters (due in June) and I like them very much. They are good names that will transfer well to adulthood, yet not so common there will be half a dozen of them in class at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the forthcoming births of your grands, River.

      God bless them.

      Delete
  11. Initials are important too. You need to be careful they don't spell something unwelcome. A child with initials B.U.G. might go through school being called Bugsie. and so on. Be aware people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. Did you know that Sting is named after a wasp's backside?

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  12. I have a coaster that someone gave me with what it says is the meaning of the name Brenda on it. It reads:- From the Old English meaning 'Firebrand' She is a serious thinker who loves to read. She enjoys a good debate. A stimulating companion'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many meanings behind names for us to discover. Choosing a good name for a child is so important for them.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
    2. I do enjoy debates Victor, that is discussing certain things that I am interested in,and I do like reading.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.