Monday 25 April 2022

My Real Bad Times

 

Years ago my wife went to look after an elderly relative all of a sudden and I was left at home alone with young children aged under seven. (Say AAAAHHH!)

I had a lot of work to do and a report which needed writing and e-mailed to the office as soon as possible if not earlier. I did not have time to do any shopping and there was very little food in the house. The kids were hungry and I did not know what to feed them. They'd had enough of sandwiches and they wanted something warm inside them.

I put the children in the car and decided to drive to town. We could go shopping or we could go to their favourite fast food outlet where they always serve nourishing meals full of vitamins.

It started raining heavily. The car would not start. Try as I may I could not get the engine to start.

In desperation, I decided to get the children back in the house and phone for pizzas to be delivered.

As soon as I opened the car door the dog ran out of the car and into nearby fields. I called him back. His name was Sit. I shouted, "SIT ... SIT ... SIT ..." but he would not come back, or sit because it was too wet underfoot.

I was getting drenched. Soaked all over.

I decided to ignore him and get the children indoors.

A few steps further on and my shoe got stuck in the heavy mud. I tried to pull it out and the heel from my shoe came off altogether leaving a gaping hole in my shoe letting in even more water.

That's when I sat there on the muddy ground, took out my guitar, and started singing:

You picked a fine time to leave me loose heel
With four hungry children
And a dog in the field.
I've had some bad times
Lived through some sad times
But this time your hurtin' won't heal.
You picked a fine time to leave me loose heel.
 
NOTE THE FINE GUITAR PLAYING AT THE END 
.
 
In a bar in Toledo across from the depot
On a barstool, she took off her ring
I thought I'd get closer so I walked on over
I sat down and asked her name
When the drinks finally hit her she said "I'm no quitter
But I finally quit livin' on dreams
I'm hungry for laughter and here ever after
I'm after whatever the other life brings"
In the mirror, I saw him and I closely watched him
I thought how he looked out of place
He came to the woman who sat there beside me
He had a strange look on his face
The big hands were calloused, he looked like a mountain
For a minute I thought I was dead
But he started shaking, his big heart was breaking
He turned to the woman and said
"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times
But this time your hurting won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille"
After he left us, I ordered more whiskey
I thought how she'd made him look small
From the lights of the barroom
To a rented hotel room
We walked without talking at all
She was a beauty but when she came to me
She must have thought I'd lost my mind
I couldn't hold her 'cause the words that he told her
Kept coming back time after time
"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times
But this time your hurting won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times
But this time your hurting won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille"

23 comments:

  1. ...Maylon is always a good choice. With all of the happenings in the world, bad times don't look all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Tom. And I agree, Waylon was a great country singer.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I simply enjoyed the music you offered, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'll have that song stuck in my head all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful song made famous by Kenny Rogers.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. Good tune. I like Waylon, he's one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Bill. Good old style Country music.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I prefer the Waylon Jennings version.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  6. Love(d) Waylon Jennings! This song makes me want to two-step around the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guitar ending is just great, isn't it?

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    Must confess, never heard that song... both of us are not so fond of country music 😏
    But what a horror story!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I enjoyed the song, but I was so sad from your story and Loose heel! LOL

    Thanks for the smile and I do appreciate some 'picking' rather than wild sturmming. You did good! Had a crazy time with cell signals today...... Thanks again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guitar picking is really good, isn't it? Real skill, I wish I had. I'm so pleased you liked my story too, Jack.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. That song always makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does a shoe letting in water.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  10. I like the song, but prefer the Kenny Rogers version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this version because of the guitar picking at the end.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.