Friday 1 April 2022

Paperless?

 

My friend Jack, a frequent visitor to this Blog, said on his Blog that some utilities are now going paperless.

It is happening here also, and it is not just utilities like electricity, and water, but other businesses too are encouraging customers to go paperless to save the planet. I don't understand that. Is the planet made of paper? How is using less paper saving the planet? Saving it from whom? 

Anyway, a number of businesses now send us their invoices by e-mail in order to go totally paperless. They now just send empty envelopes. How am I to know whose envelope has been sent by whom so that I can print the e-mail and put it in the envelope? It is creating more work for me.

I have complained to said utilities and businesses by sending them empty envelopes. Not one has replied. Not by e-mail, or by sending an empty envelope in return.

This paperless craze has caught on with some Internet shops too. I ordered some printing paper for my printer from various websites and they sent me empty packages and boxes. I mean ... how can my printer work paperless? 

Our supermarket has also joined in this stupid craze. In an attempt to go paperless they no longer sell toilet paper. You can buy an empty inner roll but not all the paper that surrounds it. 

The home improvements shop no longer sells wallpaper and you can no longer buy paper tissues, or writing paper to send people letters. Birthday and other celebratory cards will soon all be banned as being non-environmentally friendly and people will have to send their cards electronically.

Lovers will no longer be able to send each other billets doux which can be kept by ladies in shoe-boxes tied with a ribbon, and used in evidence years later as to how their husbands have changed into senseless buckets of lard. At least that's one thing in favour of going paperless.

How about you? Have you gone paperless yet?

25 comments:

  1. NO! NO! NO! And 'NEVER' will....
    Only my family and friends have
    my e~mail address..
    Not the electric, gas, water, doctor,
    dentist, undertaker..NO! Businesses
    what~so~ever..I have a mobile, landline
    if they want me..and a letterbox, through
    which correspondence can be sent..!
    🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻 🧻
    PS..
    By the way..the toilet paper above in the
    holder..is the wrong way round..! :O).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toilet paper position is a debate in its own right. There are no instructions on the packet as to how we should put the roll in the holder. I have checked every time I put a new roll on.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
    2. It is written on the 'inside'
      of the roll...Which can be read
      on completion of the said paper,
      perforated or not..! :O(.

      Delete
  2. ...they have talking about this for years and we still recycle boxes of paper, mostly junk mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many times can one re-cycle a piece of paper, card box or a newspaper?

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    WISH they would indeed stop sending the junk mail to our mailbox!!!
    Real letter mail for years does not make sense as it takes from 2-3 weeks to receive a letter from Europe versus 3-4 days in the 80s and even 90s.
    Toilet paper; for God's sake NO. Not going back to newspaper or whatever we used in the 50s. Don't know over the ages how people managed that.
    Don't think our septic tanks will 'love' receiving the daily paper...😜
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know? Now to save costs they sell toilet paper without the perforations. It is one continuous roll of paper. You can buy a packet of perforations separately and put them on yourself if you wish.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  4. Some types of paper are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Card board for instance in case you have to write a stiff letter.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  5. Now you can't even leave a paper trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Bill. Oh ... I wish I had thought of that. Great line.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I love the convenience of on-line bill-pay, shopping, etc.! Bill's line is so funny -- how appropos during the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020! Now, if someone could only figure a way to eliminate junk mail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bill's line is brilliant. I am so jealous.

      I agree with you about junk mail, Mevely. We receive so much each week it fills the re-cycle bin.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. I like paperless, because paper bills, etc. clutter up my desk. With all paper bills and such laying around on my desk for a few months, I have to bag it up and walk out to the outside garbage can to trash it. Who needs that kind of stress in their lives? Anyway my coffee always grow cold while I’m out roaming around emptying garbage. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, too much paper can accumulate so quickly, and it has to be shredded for security reasons before throwing away.

      God bless, Nells.

      Delete
  8. I get my bills by email and pay them online, keeping only the receipt number which I write in my budget book, which is still a paper notebook. I try to use less paper around the house, less paper towel in the kitchen, fewer paper napkins and less toilet paper, but I can't go completely paper free. but at least by using less I may be saving at least one or two trees, more of which the planet desperately needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom, Mariette and Mevely; have none of you heard about a "No Junk Mail" sticker which can be bought and stuck onto your mailbox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ... I have bought No Junk Mail stickers. They come in packets of 100 and you can wall paper you house with them. They are plastic covered and very environmentally friendly using both paper and plastic. The thing is, most junk mail comes through the post and the postman HAS to deliver it. He has no choice to take them back.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. River, that would NOT work indeed! Don't know where you live but like Victor indicated, the postman HAS to deliver.

      Delete
    3. I live in Australia and what I consider junk mail is the leaflets and catalogues from stores that get stuffed in by people paid to do so, they walk around the neighbourhoods and stuff every mailbox that doesn't have a "no junk mail" sticker. Our stickers are available in metal versions that last through all weathers. I'm sorry to hear your junk comes via Post and must be delivered. In that case, may I suggest shredding and composting?

      Delete
  10. E-bills aren't worth the paper they're printed on when your electricity goes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even print them because the printer paper manufacturer has gone paperless and only sells empty boxes.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.