Friday 29 December 2023

I bought a Bible on-line

 

I bought a Bible on-line. There are many kinds of Bibles. I like the Good News Bible because it is easier to read. But this is not the Bible I received. They sent another version.

I rang the seller because it was quicker to do so. It's a general book-store, not just a Bibles one. They have a lot of good books there but not mine. Mine are available for discerning readers HERE.

Anyway, I rang this bookseller and told the guy who answered the phone my problem. He was ignorant. A quality much prized in today's modern society. He said, "All Bibles are the same!"

I told him in no uncertain terms, and as politely as I could, which I am not accustomed of doing, that there are different types, or kinds, of Bibles. There's the Good News Bible, which I asked for. Then there is the King James Bible which is what I was sent, the New King James Bible, the English Standard Version, the Berean Study Bible, the New American Standard Bible, and the Amplified Bible to name just a few. I was proud of my knowledge of Bibles even though I was reading the list from my computer. 

I like it when I sound clever and the person at the other end knows no different. When I worked in London I was considered an "expert" at a certain subject. Whenever people rang me for advice I used to tap a few keys on my computer and quote the law, Act of Parliament, Chapter, Paragraph, Section and Sub-Section on any subject the caller asked about. They were all impressed at my knowledge and wisdom.

Anyway, I used the same trick with this hapless bookseller's assistant. He asked me to wait whilst he checked. Then he came back and said, "You're mistaken Sir, there's only one Bible, the King James Bible," which is all he had on the shelf. Well I tell you people, I am not as appreciative of the gift of ignorance as the rest of modern society is. I told this individual what's what and said I'd be e-mailing his employer and I expect an answer from the highest manager "tout de suite" if he values his job. He said there was no one of this name at the shop. I slammed the phone down and turned to my computer.

Half-an-hour later I received an e-mail which started, "This is Jesus. I can solve your problem."

I nearly fell off my chair. They really did go to the very top. Now I'm in real trouble for being so uncharitable, unchristian, unloving and every other un you can think of.

Then I realised that some people do actually call their children, "Jesus".

This fellow was polite and promised to send me a Good News Bible straight away. I asked him the price and he said it was free because of the inconvenience I'd been put through.

You see people. The Word of God is free. Jesus has paid for it.

It's good to have a Bible in the home as long as you read it. A brand new Bible is of no use if it is not read. Especially when you consider the price paid for it.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did go all the way to the top!! And Jesus wrote "the Good News Bible" for certain, because HE IS the GOOD NEWS!! I hope you enjoy your new Bible. I personally prefer the New King James version, but it is good to read from different translations to get other "slants" on each verse. But the main thing is, like you said, to READ it!! It is the most valuable book ever written...because it IS the WORD of GOD!! Amen!! Good story. Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela. I have different versions of the Bible on the computer but I use them for references only. Then I turn to the printed book to read what I'm looking for. Then I also have a simpler "guide" which I found recently here:
      https://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Manual-Explanation-Guide-Students/dp/109807243X/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1HTI97CJPTKUR&keywords=michael+Kotch&qid=1703854284&s=books&sprefix=michael+kotch%2Cstripbooks-intl-ship%2C123&sr=1-9

      God bless always, Pamela.

      Delete
  2. ...perhaps shopping local and in person is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. But it would be too heavy to carry the computer all the way to the book-store, and then order the Bible on-line there!

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that Jesus was able to take care of your problems :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus paid the ultimate price that we might read God's Word.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d say every Bible is a Good News Bible! Oh if people would only open it up and read it…their lives would change.

    I enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people don't read it because they no longer believe.

      God bless, Debby.

      Delete
  6. True, so many of those in today's workforce can't see beyond their own noses. Presently I'm enjoying 'The Message' (version) -- both hard copy and on my cell. Do you happen to be familiar with (the app) You Version? Nice, that we can choose between 72 different versions.
    I love your line, "Jesus paid for it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is irritating when you go to a shop and the assistants know nothing of the products they are selling. Especially technical shops like computers, cameras, washing machines etc ... Now we do our research on-line and buy on-line, even larger items like fridges, ovens and so on. And I noticed big stores selling these items are closing down.

      I'll check out "You Version". I don't use my cell-phone much. Just the computer; I hope it loads on there.

      God bless, Mevely. Best wishes.

      Delete
    2. I went to the YouVersion app last night and added the Good News Translation (U.S. version). Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Mevely. I'll ask my techie guy if we can load this app on my computer.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. We''ve always had a Bible at home growing up. I've never heard of the Good News bible until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good News version is easier to read; not old fashioned Thee and Thou words.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  8. We are blessed with a plethora of excellent Bible translations, but as C.H. Spurgeon pointed out, "No matter what good truths you have to teach, no one will thank you if you do not speak kindly."

    I need to remember this more often when I'm tempted to be impatient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Good point, Mimi. I'm often impatient myself.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Victor - a good, needed nudge to stay in God's Word in the coming year. May 2024 be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you and yours all the best for the New Year and beyond, Linda. God bless you all.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.