Tuesday 5 December 2023

How much Manna have you got?

 

 This reading is a bit too long - I have shortened it a little  
EXODUS 16: 1 ONWARDS.

In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, “If only we had died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death.”

Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days.”

... ... ... in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. When the dew was gone, thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor. When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was.

Moses said to them, “It is the bread the Lord has given you to eat. This is what the Lord has commanded: ‘Everyone is to gather as much as they need. Take an omer for each person you have in your tent.’”

The Israelites did as they were told ... And when they measured it ... ... ...  Everyone had gathered just as much as they needed.

Then Moses said to them, “No one is to keep any of it until morning.”

However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell. So Moses was angry with them.

So, what are we to learn from this? Several lessons really.

God provided a way out of Egypt for the Israelites as He does for us today. Whatever problems we have in life He always provides a way out. But we have to take the way out - an action is required of us.

Having left Egypt the Israelites started grumbling and complaining instead of being grateful for their freedom. Their grumblings and complaints slowed them down into going round in circles and it took them forty years to travel a distance which should have taken about eleven days or so. A bit like us today, when we waste day after day complaining rather than thanking God for His many mercies and for saving us from many situations we know nothing about.

And the third lesson is that we should live our lives one day at a time. God promised the Israelites that He will provide enough bread, (manna), for each day. But they, like us today, doubted His provisions and gathered too much. And the next day what they had gathered was full of maggots and began to stink. 

How often do we waste our lives planning for eventualities that may not happen anyway, and in doing so we stink our lives with lack of Faith in God our loving Creator?

.
CLICK LINK ABOVE
 
I'm only human, I'm just a manLord help me believe in what I could beAnd all that I amShow me the stairway, that I have to climbLord for my sake, teach me to takeOne day at a time
 
One day at a time Lord JesusThat's all I'm asking from YouJust give me the strengthTo do everyday what I have to doYesterday's gone Lord JesusAnd tomorrow may never be mineLord help me today, show me the wayOne day at a time
 
Do You remember, when You walked among menWell Jesus You know if You're looking belowIt's worse now, than thenCheating and stealingViolence and crimeLord for my sake, teach me to takeOne day at a time
 
One day at a time Lord JesusThat's all I'm asking from YouJust give me the strengthTo do everyday what I have to doYesterday's gone Lord JesusAnd tomorrow may never be mineLord help me today, show me the wayOne day at a time
 
 Lord help me today, show me the wayOne day at a time

21 comments:

  1. Thank you, Victor, for this gospel song. I appreciate its wisdom and love the interpretation by Garry Talley, his 93 years old mum, and his sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..."40" seems to be a recurring number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forty is often used to refer to a period of time, usually a period of trial or struggle. The flood lasts 40 days, Israel is in the desert for 40 year, Elijah walks 40 days to mount Horeb, Jesus is tempted in the desert for 40 days.

      Overall, it's a number associated with testing and the hardships one must endure to become more spiritually aware.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. I just copied the words to send to my son who is having a tough time adjusting to his new enforced regiment.
    Love from this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack. I am praying for you all, especially your son.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. One day at a time is the way to live. Every morning I am thankful for the new day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me think of our new Bible study -- "Grateful: Giving Thanks to God in All Things." Like your posts, it seems they're asking the 'hard' questions, prompting us to dig deep inside. For instance: "Lift 5 hard things that happened that brought you to Yahweh."
    I want to give Him thanks for my daily bread and stop looking for a bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. That should read "List", not "Lift."

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mevely. Every so often I post articles here that make my readers think about the Bible, past events of centuries ago, and how we have not changed over the years. We need to learn more from people mentioned in the Bible.

      Perhaps you can share your Bible study questions/sessions on your Blog sometime.

      God bless always, my friend.

      Delete
  6. One day at a time is all God gives us in the moment, Victor. Let us live each one to the fullest, giving thanks to the One who provides.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thankful for each day God gives me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this lesson and post and I do love that song. Yes, we have such little faith about what God will provide for us. We think we have to do it all and we don't realize that God never intended for us to do it all. He wants us to come to Him and trust Him, and then especially obey Him and follow His directions. When we don't do that, we end up in trouble and we start complaining against God. You'd think we'd learn from those Israelites...but we're only human just like them. We need God every day to keep us on the right track. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela. It's true that our human nature makes us believe that we have to do everything our selves.

      I'm glad you liked the song. I have known Father Francis for many years and I've posted a selection of his songs on You Tube.

      God bless always, Pamela.

      Delete
  9. i fear we are more like those OT wanderers than we'd like to admit ... prone to whining, doubt, weak faith. Lord, renew our trust in You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, you are right, Linda. We humans always seem to be complaining about something. I think complaining is a sin of mistrusting God.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. Mark Twain said, "I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened."

    Gratitude over grumbling, and no worries. He is large and in charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend.

      God bless you, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.