Monday 4 December 2023

Wedding Invitation

 

Dear Dad,

How are you? I phoned you several times and left messages on your answering machine. I texted you and you did not respond. Now I am writing an old fashioned letter.

I'm getting married in the New Year and would like you to be there. Mom will be there too. I know the two of you have not spoken since the divorce, but it would be nice to have you there as a family on our day.

Your loving son.

 

Dear Son,

I shall not attend. Nothing to do with your mother.

Dad.

 

Dear Dad,

Why then? Why will you not attend Dad?

Your son.

 

Son,

Simply because you did not attend my wedding!

Dad.

 

Dear Dad,

But ... but ... I wasn't even born at your wedding with Mom. That's why I did not attend.

Your loving son.

 

Son,

That's a feeble excuse. I still would have liked you to have been there, carrying the ring perhaps ... but your mother insisted we got married before you were born. So if you're looking for a scapegoat then look at her ... not me. I was happy to wait until you were born and able to walk so you could bring the ring in church. It would have been lovely to see you there as a toddler. But she refused. She was so unreasonable from the start. She wanted to get married quickly before anyone noticed she was pregnant!

Dad

 

My Dear Dad,

This is all news to me. You mean to say Mom was pregnant when you got married? Was I a wanted baby? Am I the reason you two got married?

I spoke to Mom and she said I was a loved baby well before I was born. And that you two loved each other so much. But you wanted to wait for 18 months before you got married. Why did you want to wait for so long, by which time I would have been a toddler?

Your loving son.

 

Well son,

If you really want to know; I was selected for the world series golf tournament which, including the preliminaries, would have taken that long until we reached the finals. I had a good chance of being a finalist and really had no time to waste getting married and raising a child whilst practising my game daily and playing various elimination rounds up and down the country. 

Did your mother understand? NOOOOOO ... She was too unreasonable and wanted to get married as soon as she got pregnant. So this is what we did, and you missed my wedding, and now I am missing yours. 

By the way, I wonder if you've invited this year's golf champion? Just asking.

Dad.

 

Yes Dad ... he'll be there.

 

My dearest wonderful son,

I'll be there . I am so happy for you. I wouldn't miss your wedding for the world!

Your loving Dad.

16 comments:

  1. ...the order of things seemed to been out of sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a question of what is more important for him. Raising a baby or the golf tournament. The date the baby is born is immaterial as this cannot be changed greatly. Also the date of the marriage is immaterial as the baby would be born regardless.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. At least he got to meet that year's golf champion.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Kathy. Humans can be very self appointed.
    From the next coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was self-appointed to the golf rather than the birth of his son.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. Yet another crazy, but entertaining, story, Victor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I'm so pleased you liked it.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  5. I should feel sorry for 'Dad', but can't bring myself to do so.
    Someday I feel he's going to wake up and realize no-one's got time for him. Not unlike Harry Chapin's song, "Cats in the Cradle."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great song with very powerful lyrics. Granted, a lot of us have to work hard these days to raise a family; however, we sometimes get our priorities wrong with the work/life balance.

      I tried to capture that "lesson" in my post today.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. Oh Goodness! What a Dad!
    I think Bill's comment was correct...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear. I hope son is more loving and considerate to his new wife than dad seems to be to anyone.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.