Tuesday 12 December 2023

Neighbourhood Watch

 

We have in the area where we live a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme whereby all neighbours watch out for each other and report anything suspicious to the police. We also send each other weekly e-mails advising us of anything we should be aware of in our area.

Once a month we meet at the main organiser's house, Mr Ivor Sorehead, and discuss matters that concern us all. Like for instance the fact that his dog is always barking, or that his two cats visit our gardens and use it as a toilet, or that his children are too noisy when playing football in the garden, or that whenever we have meetings in his house the biscuits are often stale and there are not enough of the chocolaty variety.

Anyway ... we have this Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and it seems to be working mostly OK; except for the fact of Sorehead's wandering cats giving us all a headache.

Years ago I was the leader of the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in another town, but I gave it up because I hated all the greedy neighbours eating my chocolate cookies. I suggested they bring their own, and they voted me out of the Chair position.

Anyway ... back to where we live now. We've received an email lately saying there has been a number of burglaries in a neighbouring area and that we should be on the look-out, and to take extra precautions.

As a result we have had installed a wall safe in our home with a combination lock in which I keep my stockpile of chocolate cookies and jars of ginger marmalade of which I am very fond. In order to confuse any would-be intruder we have hidden the safe behind a large oil painting of a safe. Any thief would look at the painting and say, "Ha ... Ha ... They would not be that stupid to have a safe behind this painting!" and they'd leave it alone.

Also, from now on, whenever we leave the house we throw all the chairs haphazardly on the floor; also throw all cushions on the floor as well as pictures off the wall, and we empty all contents of drawers all over the place making it as untidy as possible. This way if any burglar comes in, he will see all the mess and think we've already been burgled and leave without disturbing anything.

If ever I am the only one at home, of course, we don't bother to untidy the house. Instead every so often I go to the front door and bark like a dog to frighten any passer-by. I bark two types of dogs. A big ferocious one and a tiny yappy one to give the impression we have two dogs. This often excites our own real dog who also joins in the barking. Last night he got so much into the act that he bit me in the backside.

We've also been advised that when we go out we should leave a light on and perhaps a radio or TV on so that anyone would think there's someone at home. To save electricity I don't have the radio or TV on but instead I stand behind the curtain and sing opera arias at the top of my voice. The dog sometimes joins in by howling at the top of his voice. So far, the ruse has worked well. 

Also, it seems to have frightened Sorehead's cats from our garden!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Victor, don't you think it would be a good idea to give all your possessions to charity, then you would have a completely empty house. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Give my chocolate cookies and ginger marmalade to charity? I'm not that charitable.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
    2. Just thought you won't have to worry about being burgled then Victor:-)

      Delete
  2. ...keep singing. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do ... and it frightens away the wildlife for miles around.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Nothing fights crime quite like opera.

    "...and report anything suspicious to the police."

    Truth be told, Victor, how many times have you been reported? 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told ... my opera voice is so melodic and pure that the neighbours have broken all our windows to hear me better. They also invited the police to come and listen ... often!

      God bless you, Sandi.

      Delete
  4. Ah ha! I wanted to try your 'PRE BURGALED' idea of throwing things around when we left, but Sherry voted the idea down. But methinks it is a good idea!
    The best to you and hope and pray you have no Burglars to visit.
    BUT we do thank you for the prayers. Life is getting a little better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea works of throwing things around. The problem is finding them when I want them. Last week I found my hat in the fridge and the socks in the oven.

      Glad to hear things are getting better for you. Still praying.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. We could use some singing here to get rid of the riff raff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tune in tomorrow here, Bill, and I shall sing for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. At least the barking and howling got rid of Sore Head's cats, Victor. And who knows how many would-be thieves you've scared away!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with cats? They just roam from house to house in peoples' gardens as if they own the place. They have not paid a penny towards my house mortgage, yet they treat my garden as their toilet. The other day I found a cat lying on my easy-chair in the garden sunning himself and smoking a cigarette as if it was his garden. I shooed him away by he did not move. I swear he smirked at me as he eventually moved to my neighbour's garden to relieve himself. I was glad he did not do it in my garden. How would his owner feel if I went in their garden and did a poo there ?????

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  7. Great ideas, Victor! I once asked my Alexa, "Bark like a dog" -- but the resulting cacophony wasn't pretty.
    Having once lived in an HOA community, it almost makes one long for a "home, home on the range."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a sensory alarm that barks like a dog. The sound makes our real dog laugh. We now set it to a normal alarm sound - a long loud shriek. Just like the smoke alarms.

      Our neighbourhood watch schemes are usual down just one road at a time - say about 20 or 30 houses or so. Like a lot of little communities.

      God bless, Mevely.


      Delete
  8. Well, I guess you do whatever works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living next to you would always be an interesting experience. I must learn dog barks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the dog ... woof woof or yapp ... yapp.

      God bless, Anonymous.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.