Sunday 17 December 2023

Who do you think I am?

 

In Matthew Chapter 16 verse 13 onwards we read that Jesus asked His disciples "Who do you say I am?"

Peter answered quite rightly, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God".

I now ask you "Who do you think you are?"

I am not asking you for your name, the name of your parents, or your family lineage. I am not asking you whether you are male or female, single, married, divorced, separated or in partnership with anyone. Whether you are a parent or uncle, aunt or whatever. I am not even asking you whether you are a doctor, nurse, lawyer, carpenter or whatever your job may be; if you have one.

I am asking you "Who do you think you are?"

Do you really know yourself? To know oneself deeply and fully we should consider "what makes us tick". What is it that makes us who we are, or what we have become as we grew up, or are still growing up.

We are all the product of our background, environment, parentage, up-bringing and a variety of other factors that make us what we are now. But have we ever taken the time to consider how these factors have affected us and made us what we are today?

Take for instance our opinions on any subject. Our views. Our prejudices (for we all have them no matter what we lead others to believe). Our fears real or imagined. Are these all of our own making or are they pre-set opinions or views we have heard or learnt from others and adapted them to suit our own beliefs and requirements?

How many of our views and opinions are indeed logically assessed and formulated by us as opposed to following someone else's views?

Let's go back to the Scripture quoted above. If Jesus challenged us and asked "Who do you say I am?" What would our honest, no hesitation, response be?

And if He asked "Who do you think you are?" What would our answer be?

Whatever our opinion of ourselves may be, or whatever or whoever we think we are. One think is for sure. We are all the Creations of God. Indeed we are the sons and daughters of God.

Why else would we call Him Father when we recite the Lord's prayer?

18 comments:

  1. Before I got to your last couple of lines I was thinking to myself that I am a daughter of the King of kings...a child of God saved by the grace of God for His kingdom. When all the other names and titles and positions of life are stripped away, this is the only one that will remain and that will matter...are we a child of the King or not? That is the question that must be answered before we take another breath, because we never know when it will be our last breath! Thank you for this thought provoking question this morning. Good way to start our Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela. Thank you for your visit here today. Sadly, many people do not see themselves as children of God; because they don't believe in God. Over here in the UK we have become a secular country; materialistic too.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  2. ...Victor, I wish you a wonderful Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom. Best wishes to you and yours. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Our pastor encouraged us to spend time this Advent in serious self-examination as to where we are in life at this moment and do we need to be repentant and in need of God's mercy. It isn't an easy task if we're being honest with ourselves.
    But yes, I agree with Pamela, that we are all God's beloved children.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is not an easy task to look in the mirror and be honest with ourselves. We may well hide the wrinkles on our face but not those on our soul.

      God bless always, Martha.

      Delete
  4. To me Jesus is my Savior, my friend and the one who loves me more than anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. However undeserving, I believe I am a daughter of the King of Kings. Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Self examination is good to do and can help us be the real person we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny I have heard that question several times in my life when I stuck my nose in where it should not have been! BUT the funny thing is, you are the first person who seems to want an answer! To be honest "I THINK I am a Christian of course!" But then many times I learn I don't know myself.
    Please ask easy questions!!

    But thanks for the prayers...

    I do hope I would answer correctly is Jesus would ask me as he did in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, you are a very wise person and I am glad to have met you on the Internet. You have taught me a lot.

      The reason I ask these questions is because I have asked them of myself. Yes, I too think I am a Christian. But do I live this Christianity or am I just full of prejudices like other people. It is often difficult to love others as Christ commanded. Some people are just unlovable and they are proud of it to be so.

      God bless always my friend. Praying.

      Delete
  8. Jesus is the One who enabled me to have eternal life, the only One who could have enabled me to become a child of God in the Spirit. God bless you and yours Victor. Have an enjoyable time celebrating the Lord's birth. Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. Best wishes for a blessed Christmas to you and your family. God bless you all.

      Delete
  9. He is the Messiah and Savior and I am a sinner saved by His grace. I can think of no other answer.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.