Wednesday 27 December 2023

What did Santa bring you?

 

As I mentioned in my previous post, I dressed as Santa on Christmas day and delivered presents to a number of children having a party organised by some friends of ours. My friend Harry dressed as an elf and was Santa's helper carrying the parcels and delivering presents to the kids.

After the meal, and as the children were enjoying their toys he said, "I've got a special present for you!"

I explained that we don't really need presents and that just our friendship is enough. It was more an excuse than reality since in truth I had not got him anything. I don't like this idea of giving presents as it always puts me under an obligation to give a present of equal or greater value to the giver. But anyway, Harry would not hear of it.

"It's a really special present," he said, "more of an adventure you'll never forget!"

Now I know there are organisations that provide adventure presents; like a day racing a car round the track, or parachute jumps, or water skiing and so on. And to be honest I was not keen on such pursuits. The best adventure I enjoy is sitting in my armchair with a drink in hand. But to be nice and sociable, which is in my nature anyway, I feigned interest and pretended to be excited.

Harry reminded me that he is a fully qualified crane driver and that he'd take me for a ride on the building site in town where he's working at the moment.

"What?" I said in disbelief. But he's not one to be stopped easily in his enthusiasm. He explained that it was safe, and that I'd see the whole town from up there, and I could take photos with my cell phone, and ... and ... and ...

And to cut a long story short we drove there, still in our costumes. I hated the journey up in that little elevator going up slowly. It certainly was not my idea of fun. But he was in his element showing me how the controls work. How he could turn the crane round and do this and that and so on. Eventually, after what seemed hours, it was time to get down again. 

You guessed it. The elevator would not work. He pressed this and that button, opened and shut the door several times, he swore and cursed, (have you ever seen a rude elf?), but the elevator would not work. He rang his boss on the cell-phone and there was no one there. So he left a "Merry Christmas" message.

Then he rang the Fire Brigade. He told them this was an emergency but not the usual kind. There was no fire as such but we were stuck up a crane and the emergency is that I'd had two cups of coffee and needed to go to the toilet and could not do it from up there for fear of being seen. Could they come quickly but without the sirens blaring and flashing lights.

What seemed like ages afterwards, the Fire Brigade did turn up. They fiddled with the mechanism at the bottom of the crane and within seconds we were heading down to safety again.

When they saw us in our costumes, one of them said, "In future stick to reindeer and sleigh, Santa. It's safer!"

So, what presents did Santa bring you?

16 comments:

  1. Really?????? That would be quite the adventure, added to your previous adventure with the microwaves and being arrested in the Santa suit...you must be quite the popular guy with the cops and firemen around there! LOL. I love your stories. I just wish I knew which ones to believe...or not! LOL. My gifts from Santa pale in comparison...new underwear and socks and they aren't even Christmas colors...just plain old ordinary stuff...oh, and a charcuterie board! I bet you don't even know what that is! It's a rather new name for an old thing...a wooden cutting board that is fancied up to hold crackers and cheese and stuff at parties. Can't wait to try it out this weekend...it should make the ordinary crackers and cheese taste so much better because they are being served upon a wooden cutting board with a fancy new name, don't you think? LOL and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela. You are not alone. I'm having difficulty believing which stories I tell are true and which are not.

      You had wonderful presents this year. I like the cheese board. A good presentation at the dinner table at the end of a meal with a glass of port or brandy. I like all sorts of cheese. My happiness is getting home late in the evening and finding a piece of cheese in the mousetrap.

      May you be always happy. God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  2. ...nothing, he went to places with more need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We told Santa that we didn't need anything so just skip us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am petrified of heights, this would NOT have been a pleasant experience for me, Victor. Talking to family on Christmas Day was the best gift for me.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am afraid of heights, Martha. I get dizzy when I put my socks on.

      Indeed, being with family, or speaking to them, is the best present. God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  5. That's hysterical! By mutual consent, Tom and I no longer exchange Christmas presents. Usually we get something 'necessary' for the house -- (and) unfortunately 'said house' was unnecessarily greedy this year.
    Being with my son, DIL and granddaughter was the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the best present to be with family at Christmas and always. I love my family. If it was not for my family I would be arguing with perfect strangers.

      I think the best presents are edible ones. I don't need slippers, or scarves or such clothing like pullovers. My wife likes shoes. She also likes chocolates. So I bought her a pair of shoes made of chocolate.

      Keep smiling, Mevely and may God bless you and Tom and your family.

      Delete
  6. Funny story. We didn’t need anything or even want anything this year. That is such a nice feeling. Real contentment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. Real contentment is knowing that you are Happy. Incidentally, did you know that statistically speaking only one in seven dwarves is Happy?

      Thank you for your visit, Debby. Please call again soon and often, and invite your friends here. Make it a New Year resolution. God bless.

      Delete
  7. WOW we did enjoy the entry. I would enjoy a CRANE ride! But I got a special night with my love, and her present was easy to pick this year. When i asked her what she wanted she said, "I would love for youto trim your beard!" I did so she got whagt she wanted too.
    Love ya, hope your day at Christmas was the best.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I have to trim my beard once a year whether it needs it or not.

      I'm glad you had a special time with your wife. God bless you both, Jack; and your family.

      Delete
  8. I think it would be interesting to zoom around in a crane, as long as I knew I could easily get back down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's far too high for me, Kathy. Frightening.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.