Friday 15 December 2023

What's in your shoe?

 
WHAT'S IN YOUR SHOE?

There was a touring theatrical production in town and Father Ignatius had been given complimentary tickets by a parishioner who could not go himself. The priest loved the theatre but had little opportunity to attend because of the costs involved travelling to the big cities where all the big shows took place.

It was a pleasant couple of hours watching an amateur dramatic production putting on a play which one of them had written. It was part comedy part drama which would certainly not make the West End of London or be taken up by any Hollywood producer; but at least it passed the time on a nice summer’s evening.

The following morning, during Sunday Mass, Father Ignatius was surprised to see one of the actors in church. The priest immediately recognised him and was impressed how the man played the role of an injured tennis player and walked with a limp throughout the whole production.

After Mass, he made a point of speaking to the young actor.

“It’s nice to see you here,” he said, “I must say I really enjoyed the play last night. Very funny with a moral lesson too.”

“Thank you so much, Father,” said the actor, “we’re off to Edinburgh for the festival. Wish us luck that we’re successful!”

“I’m sure you will be,” encouraged the priest, “I was particularly impressed at how you maintained that limp throughout the play. Every time you walked you kept limping and never forgot or got out of character. Now that’s real acting!”

“Oh, it’s quite simple, Father,” explained the man, “let me tell you a secret. Before I got on stage I put a little pebble in my shoe. A tiny pebble but it did the trick. Every time I took a step it hurt like hell … and it reminded me to limp and remain in character!”

“Ingenious,” said Father Ignatius.

“Actually, it was a priest I met in Swansea years ago who gave me the idea,” said the actor, “he preached about Paul having a thorn in the flesh. You know … in 2 Corinthians Chapter 12?”

The priest nodded.

The actor continued, “Well, the priest said that we all have a thorn in the flesh. Something always there niggling at us. Some problem or other, some difficulty. Like an illness, or a job we’re not happy in and are stuck there, money problems, marital difficulties … that sort of thing. He said that these problems are like having a little pebble or stone lodged in your shoe. It hurts and you must stop and take it off.

“However … rather than take the pebble out of your shoe, you should treat it as an opportunity to pray to God. Every time your thorn in the flesh comes to mind, hand over the matter to God and trust in Him!”

The priest was impressed at the young man’s attitude to life and his faith in God.

Father Ignatius never saw the man again after that Sunday’s Mass. But he was pleased to note that in time the young actor got discovered and after some minor roles on TV adverts, he eventually landed a part in a successful TV soap.

EXCERPT FROM "HERE I AM, LORD"

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON IN PAPERBACK & KINDLE

CLICK HERE

21 comments:

  1. ...oh my aching feet.☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, ol' friend. Thanks for bringing joy-laced wisdom wherever you go. I smile when our paths cross. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Linda. And also for keeping up your Blog which I visit regularly. May you have a Blessed Christmas and New Year.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Your new book is sitting on my coffee table waiting to be read next, Victor. I'll look forward to revisiting this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha for buying this book. I will not publish anything else here until you've read it.

      God bless always, and thank you.

      Delete
    2. Don't do that, Victor! You need to interest others in your latest book. Besides, I love rereading the stories you write.
      Blessings!

      Delete
    3. You are very generous, Martha, thank you. I did not want to spoil the book by publishing stories here. I'll be selective on the stories I use.

      God bless always, my friend.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. That's one way to not to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great story and reminder to keep on praying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it my friend, as always
    Thanks always for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would take dedication, to keep that pebble in the shoe in spite of the pain. A very nice story and yes, it has a very good moral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has a "thorn in the flesh". God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.