Monday 25 October 2021

Parting of the way

 

You know what it's like. You're a Christian. And at some stage in your life you became a Christian. Either you were brought up a Christian by your parents, or you became a Christian later on in life.

You brought up your children to follow your beliefs. And all through life you and your family, extended family even, have walked the same path following Jesus.

Then at some point, someone decided to take a different path. Your spouse maybe, offspring, parent or other relative. They have decided no longer to follow Jesus and His teachings. Slowly but gradually they have ceased to believe. 

What do you do?

Arguments, debates, discussions and persuasions have not helped. If anything, people have become more entrenched in their way of thinking. It's probably got to the stage that families have broken up over this. People no longer talk to each other or see each other. Grand-parents have probably been denied access to grand-children. No contacts whatsoever between the generations or those we once loved so dearly and still do.

And the devil laughs.

Let's face facts. You cannot live someone else's life. It is difficult enough these days to live your own life without having to influence someone else to live their lives according to your morals and standards.

Look at the life of Saint Augustine, for instance. In spite of the good warnings of his mother, as a youth Augustine lived a hedonistic lifestyle associating with young men who boasted of their sexual exploits. His very nature, he says, was flawed. 'It was foul, and I loved it. I loved my own error—not that for which I erred, but the error itself.' Note also his famously insincere prayer, "Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet."
 
However, it is said that his mother prayed all her life for God to help him and eventually Augustine turned to God and became a leading figure in the Church.
 
Perhaps that's what we should do when our loved ones walk away from God and there is the parting of the way. Pray, pray and pray some more.
 
God allowed the situation to happen. He did not cause it; just allowed it to happen. Had He in any way tried to stop your loved one from choosing a different path, then He would have interfered with that person's free will to choose. God let them go; but continued to love them.
 
In John Chapter 6 we read that Jesus said He is "the Bread of life" and later He says that unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life.

As you can imagine, this was very confusing to His listeners; even His followers and disciples.

"What is He on about?" they asked. "How can we eat His flesh and drink His blood? This is cannibalism surely. This is too much for us. We don't want to follow this guy any longer!" Or words to that effect.

So what did Jesus do?

He didn't say, "Hey ... wait a minute. You didn't understand what I meant. This is what I really meant to say ... let me explain!"

No ... Jesus let them go. He didn't try to justify Himself or what He had just said. It was as if He dissolved the unspoken contract between them. They could not accept a certain clause so He let them go; and continued to love them.

And that's what we should do also. Let them go, but continue to love them and pray for them. And to be a good example by the way we behave.

32 comments:

  1. Victor thank you so much. This is helping me. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit and comment Aritha. Praying for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...each has to find its own path in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... sadly many choose the wrong path.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
    2. I have seen the Lord turn the path. Don't give up hope. No one is beyond His reach. 💕

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    Pray for those, oh sure and for years... In the end it is all up to our Creator as he will be the final Judge to ALL.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly said! My son and DIL do not attend church nor speak to their faith. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure theirs is a deeply-rooted faith -- evidenced by their words, their actions. My mother would probably be hurt ... but I think that's a generational thing. Just in case, they're always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all you can realistically do, Mevely. Pray for them.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. We all can pick our own path and hopefully it is the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I have someone in my life that is headed for a great fall. This post has opened my eyes to the fact that she will have to choose her path. So I will love her anyway and pray. Blessings, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear about the person you mention, Nells. I shall join you in prayers for her.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. That advice to continue to love them and pray for them is spot on, Victor. It's all we can do, really. God will take care of the rest.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly believe this, Martha; from experience.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. I pray every single day and will continue to do so. Daughter hasn't spoken to us in 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying with you, Happyone.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  9. Love the example and advice. Good stuff to chew on because we all have or will face similar circumstances, that is for sure.
    Sherry & jack, standing by over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly there are many similar circumstances in real life.

      God bless you and Sherry, Jack.

      Delete
  10. In my entire family, including in-laws, ex's and relatives of in-laws, even those already dead, I don't think a single one ever attended church. Some may have gone to Sunday School as children, but the only church events have been weddings and christenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems this is happening time and again, River. People are exercising their free choice to choose.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. Exactly.

    One of my boys does not follow Jesus. Every day i pray for him, and i asked in prayer what i should do. The answer was pray and do nothing else. Do not talk to him about anything having to do with religion. The Lord has simply told me to pray and stay out of it, He is on the case, and that's what i do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is right, Mimi. Pray for your son and leave the situation in God's hands - trust Him.

      Praying with you. God bless you all.

      Delete
  12. I grew up as a non believer. My parents allowed us to choose for ourselves. Actually they just didn't care about church etc. However my dad was brought up as a Christian and fell away. My Grandma always prayed for us. She would always close her letters telling us to "go to church and be ready when the trumpet sounds." One thing, it made me curious as to what she meant so I bought my own bible as a teenager and read it. I still didn't do anything about it. But at least I knew what she was talking about.

    Then years and years later when I was 33, and Grandma had been dead for many years is when I decided to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Now my sons, are slowly coming back...

    It says, in the proverbs to "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." but it doesn't mention anything about those in-between years. It says when he (they) are old - That's when we pray and model what it means; in good times and in bad times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby for taking the time to share your wonderful story. Your grand-mother is well loved by God for setting the good example which you followed. Keep praying for your children and God will respond.

      God bless you all.

      Delete
  13. Jesus Christ has been my go to prayer guy since I was in the second grade. There is no one in the world who died for you, only Him. I will praise Him as long as I have a voice. Thank you for this share.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.