Saturday 23 October 2021

Where's your wealth?

 

VERY OLD TAPE - RESTORED.
5 MINUTES

In Mark Chapter 14 we read about Jesus visiting Simon and whilst He was eating a woman came in with an alabaster jar full of expensive perfume made of nard.  

Now I must admit I don't know what nard is, or what it smells like. But when the people saw this expensive perfume they said what a waste. It could have been sold and the money given to the poor.

Jesus said to them the poor will always be with us. What a pity, I think, that nobody asked Him why? Why did He say the poor will always be with us? Is He actually saying that all our efforts to beat poverty are wasted and we might as well not bother?

No I don't think He's saying that. I've thought about this time and again and this is my interpretation. See what you think.

I believe Jesus was trying to teach us wealth with responsibility. No matter how wealthy we are in life, we might be living just moderately within our means, there will always be somebody less well-off than ourselves; and I think here Jesus is teaching us that we owe a responsibility to those people less financially well-off than ourselves.

But then, perhaps He is not just speaking about monetary wealth. There are different kinds of wealth. How about people who are healthy, they are wealthy in health if you see what I mean.

Is Jesus saying that these healthy people have a responsibility to those who are ill by visiting them in hospital perhaps or visiting them at home and helping them with the shopping the cleaning or the gardening or whatever?

How about those people who are wealthy in education and in knowledge? People who have the ability to learn? Do they not have a responsibility for those less bright than themselves? To help them to educate them and not to look down their nose and treat them as stupid?

There are of course people who are wealthy in influence, celebrities for instance, you see them on the news on TV or on the media and they have masses and masses of followers; and whatever they say people follow their example and do like them. Do they not have a responsibility to their followers to give them a good example to follow?

And then, of course, there are those who are wealthy in spirit and in faith. No matter what happens to them their faith is forever strong. Do they have a responsibility to those people who stumble and fall whenever difficulty comes into their lives? Do they owe them a responsibility to tell them about God's love and God's caring; and to help them in their weak faith.

Priests for instance … I believe priests have a special responsibility in that respect. They took on the job of being shepherds and their job is to lead as many of their flock as possible to the gates of Heaven. The shepherd who lets his sheep be devoured by the wolves … well he is not a good shepherd is he? And I'm sure the Master will have something to say when they meet face-to-face!

So I think that's what Jesus was trying to say when He said the poor will be always with us. There will always be people financially poor, poor in health, poor in education, poor in influence, poor in spirit, poor in faith, or whatever; and we who have been given talents and gifts owe it to them to use these gifts to help them.

Thank you for listening. God bless.

29 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It's good to hear your old recordings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are very old radio tapes which I have managed to re-master before they are wiped out by time and age.

      So glad you liked this one, Sandi.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. I remember you talking about them before. I hope you are able to save them all.

      Delete
    3. It's a long and tiresome job taking many hours. A bit at a time, I guess.

      God bless you, Sandi.

      Delete
  2. ...my wealth is wrapped up in my family. They will all be here for dinner this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's great wealth indeed, Tom. Enjoy. It's good to be with the family.

      God bless you all always.

      Delete
  3. I truly believe we are to use the gifts God has given us to help others along the way, Victor. Yes, there will always be those less fortunate in some way or another, for this is a fallen world.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Society often considers poverty in financial terms; but there are so many forms of poverty we should help.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Victor,
    It is a very well worth story to listen to!
    Got to be your 42nd listener.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I enjoyed the audio with the post. Thanks for reminding us of our responsibilities. Good stuff,
    Sherry & jack Across the water and a couple hundred miles inland for now but soon.... Sunshine and Florida..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack and Sherry. So glad you enjoyed this old tape. Have a nice holiday in Florida. Enjoy.

      God bless you both.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jack for your very generous review on AMAZON about my book "Take Care of My Sheep".

      https://www.amazon.com/Take-Care-Sheep-Victor-Moubarak/dp/1727675002/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&qid=1635011096&qsid=142-4698272-4391713&refinements=p_27%3AVictor+S+E+Moubarak&s=books&sr=1-7&sres=B0917P4WQW%2CB09751X61G%2C150106570X%2CB08RRJ94C3%2C1500683957%2C1536976075%2C1727675002%2CB08DG54ZRP%2CB0863RTBYN%2C1505908558%2CB08NMG2WCK%2CB08L4FDLT7%2CB083XVGCJH%2C1701109956%2C1987722809%2C1095542028&text=Victor+S+E+Moubarak

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I never thought about the topic from this perspective before. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy. It's not just financial poverty we need to respond to.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. Indeed, there are many definitions of riches -- and poverty, too. I prefer to focus on my blessings, v. stare at what's missing. Thank you for making the time and effort to preserve this audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame I had so many old tapes of radio shows which over time have deteriorated. Magnetic tapes tend to lose the audio so quick. That's why some old films on TV have to be re-mastered and sometimes the audio is bad.

      So happy you enjoyed this tape, Mevely.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful recording, Victor. Sharing should be the priority of people. Spread the wealth whatever it may be with others who could benefit from it. Everyone needs a helping hand sometime in their lives.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Bill. I'm so glad I saved this old recording.

      Yes, we should share whatever blessings we have with others.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  8. God has given each of us special talents and I believe we are expected to use them how ever we can to help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Happyone. Whatever our talents we should share them with others.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Well said. There will always be those in some kind of need, and if we can help them with whatever it is, we should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs are different for every individual. It is not always financial need.

      God bless you, Mimi.

      Delete
  10. I am money poor, but rich in health, family and friends, plus I have enough food, clothing and a decent place to live. I still help people when I can, but there are things I've had to give up doing as I get older. I can no longer scrub kitchens and bathrooms for others, but I can sit and talk with them, take them cake or biscuits if I have made too many. once in a while I will purposely cook too much for dinner and take a serve to an elderly neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what loving one another means, River. Helping those less fortunate than ourselves.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am rich in love and phamily. My faith is first and important to me. I am waiting for rapture. I can not imagine this wickedness in our world can go on much longer. What I dislike intensely with organized religion the heads of these churches wh=ant you to open your arms to the poor awhile they lock the wall around their magnificent homes. Jesus lived with the poor and sinful people. He did not pal around with the pharisees and wealthy individuals. I like being like Jesus, I wish I were more like Him. People and their things do not impress me and never have. Too Many churches are not preaching the gospel of Christ, not sharing the truth about heaven and hell. They are dancing around their own goodness, patting themselves on the back. I find the best worship of God and His Son is in my humble home. When heads of organized religions say they believe in a one world religion they are foolish and fooling people as well as themselves. Jesus is not an organized religion. Took me over half my life to learn it. As a child I was told I was responsible for the starving children in China. I never bought into it. "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his own household, he has denied the faith and it is worse than an unbeliever." 1 Timothy 5:8 Mother Teresa said it best, you can not save the world but you can help one person at a time. I think that was excellent advice. :-) sorry for deleting my comment. I made errors I did not catch. It is late. I am thankful for all you share and encourage others. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is going through turbulent times right now. More reason for us to pray more.

      God bless, Tata.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.